*** FUNDING GOAL UPDATE! ***
In just 5 days we reached our $5,000 goal thanks to our amazingly generous backers! This will be perfect for creating our promotional trailer!
NEW FUNDING GOAL: $10,000
However, we are now looking toward a full $10,000, the extra money going toward promotional and developmental funds. We will be using the money to create an awesome website (which will allow us to set up our IMDB page), as well as key art and promotional materials, as we will be taking the film to several conventions and film markets in the coming months.
As far as rewards go, we have added 2 more slots for our featured zombie reward, meaning there are still 4 chances to become a featured zombie in the final film but also we have cut the amount of the top reward in half and added another slot for it, which means a total of four lucky, generous people will get to go to our world premiere!
- 9 more chances to be a ZOMBIE EXTRA!
- 4 more chances to be a FEATURED ZOMBIE!
- 1 more chance for an all-expenses-paid trip to the WORLD PREMIERE of the feature film!
Please keep spreading the word! Let's blow the lid off this thing!
"This has never been done before..."
-Bill Nelson, WeZombie.com (more links at the bottom of the page)
HEART LAND is the brutal allegory of a group of children in Middle America struggling to survive in the wake of a zombie apocalypse. Some have called it "Lord of the Flies" meets "28 Days Later" where the zombies themselves act as a backdrop to the conflict that unfolds as the children attempt to build a rudimentary society of their own making...
We are here on Kickstarter to raise funds for the production of a promotional trailer for the film.
Feature Film Synopsis:
JONAH, a sweet-faced boy of about 11, has always been an independent sort. After a tragic accident that took the life of his mother, he went to live with his grandfather, who taught him to shoot, hunt and survive in the wilderness from a very young age.
On one particular deer hunt, Jonah is forced to make the most difficult decision of his life. When his grandfather inexplicably collapses, seizing and convulsing, Jonah thinks he's lost him forever. However, when he rises again, Jonah quickly realizes that what used to be his kind grandfather is now a hungering, slathering undead monster. As his first step into manhood, Jonah is forced to put down his own grandfather with the same rifle he gave to him all those years ago.
Weeks later, Jonah has managed to hook up with a group of other children who survived, including WENDY, a 15-year-old girl who, since she is the oldest, becomes the defacto den mother for their tribe.
When out foraging, Jonah comes across another group of kids, led by the enigmatic but ruthless boy soldier, PETE. As these two groups merge, the power struggle that mounts between Pete and Wendy begins to tear at Jonah and the rest of the kids. Can these kids put their differences aside in order to survive the harsh, post-apocalyptic environment or will they become their own worst enemies?
For a more in-depth synopsis click here (WARNING: SPOILERS): http://www.killerreviews.com/kr-news.php?newsid=759
So why are we here? What do we want? Well, our goal on kickstarter is to raise the modest sum of $5,000 in order to create a promotional trailer for our film. We are not going to be asking the kickstarter community for our full feature budget as that would simply be asking too much from the fans.
The reason for this is varied. Firstly, we want to give fans, horror aficionados and other cinephiles a glimpse at the vision for the film beyond the script. We feel we have a very special film here that is not only a great zombie movie, but a great indie movie in and of itself. Secondly, we'd like to do the same for potential investors for the feature film. And last but not least, it is our way of getting our fans directly involved with the creation of the film from the ground level on up.
On the side-bar you will see some awesome rewards that will hopefully get a lot of you excited about the project! Have you ever dreamed of playing a zombie in a feature film? This may be your chance!
Whether you are a fan of zombies, horror, or just independent film in general, we hope you'll find our film worthy of your contribution. Remember, if you can't directly contribute, you can always be just as helpful by passing this page along to five friends who might be able to!
In the interest of full disclosure, we're going to break down for you exactly what your money will be going towards.
1) Transportation: $1400 - Step one is getting to and from our location of course. While most of our crew will be driving from our base in New York to the location in Maine, two of our cast and our director will be flying in from Los Angeles. This means we need 3 round-trip plane tickets and the van rental as well as gas and other expenses.
2) Lodging: $600 - Once we're there, we'll need a place for our cast and crew to stay. Luckily we were given an astounding deal by the sea mist hotel. Five rooms, three nights, only $200/night! Thank you Sea Mist Hotel!
3) Food: $200 - The other essential in life of course, is eating. With our condensed cast and crew, we'll be able to provide craft service and lunches for our 2-day shoot at $100/day.
4) Props and Wardrobe: $300 - We will be renting a hunting rifle, purchasing blank rounds and renting an old-fashioned well pump for the scene. We will also need to purchase and age clothing for the kids and our zombie. We estimate this all to come to roughly $300.
5) Sound Mixer: $500 - We will be hiring a local sound recordist for our shoot, who has drastically dropped his rate to a very generous $250/day!
6) Make-up and Special Effects: $1000 - While the very talented SFX make-up artist Josh Hibbard has been kind enough to donate his time to our project we will still have to purchase the materials to make our zombie and to blow the back of his head out. This will require a full life-mask and body latex for the zombie as well as the materials for the bullet hit.
7) Post Effects and Color Correction: $1000 - This is one area that will really bring the trailer together, and we have several great candidates to handle the post effects. These must be cinema-quality CG and consist of enhancing the gunshot and bullet hit, touching up the zombie to add extra horror to it, and atmospheric effects/compositing. This kind of work rarely comes cheap but we're very lucky to have a project that inspires people so much!
That's it! That's all we'll need for our trailer! "But wait," you ask, "what about the camera? The lights, the other equipment needed for filming?" All of that is being donated. Our cinematographer Lukasz Pruchnik is bringing his RED Epic 5k and lenses and we are having any and all grip equipment donated to us. Awesome, huh?
Here is a breakdown of information for the project:
Film Title: "Heart Land" (feature)
Writer/Director: Matthew A. Collins
Producers: Delfine Paolini, Miranda Sajdak
Shooting Format: RED Epic 5k
Funding Goal/Duration: 5,000$ USD / 30 days
Cinematographer: Lukasz Pruchnik
Shoot Days: 2
Shoot Dates: November 12th and 13th, 2011.
Cast: Max Madore as "Spencer" and Audrey Vasil Meyers as "Teeny."
Max Madore as "Spencer"
Audrey Vasil Meyers as "Teeny"
While we don't have an official website for the feature film just yet we do have several relevant links with more information on the project.
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/heartlandmovie
Twitter Feed: @HeartLandMovie http://twitter.com/HeartLandMovie
Company Website: http://centermassstudios.com/
Interview with Matthew A. Collins (Writer/Director) and Delfine Paolini (Producer): http://wezombie.com/interview-with-matthew-collins-and-define-paolini-creators-of-heart-land/
Script Analysis: http://necropology.com/heartlandanalysis.htm
Thanks to everyone who made it all the way down here. We appreciate any contribution and hope you are as excited about the project as we are. Join us on our journey to do something new and unique in the zombie genre! Thank you!
- (30 days)