Update 14: Now taking pre-orders at store.moorescloud.com
Hello and a big thank you to our 1,950 backers. With your help, we’ve manage to raise $275,000 to fund the Light by Moore’sCloud. That’s amazing. We’ve raised nearly $5,000 every day of this Kickstarter campaign - because of you!
It's not the End of the World
Now we’re into the last few hours of our campaign. We’ve come far, but not nearly far enough. Barring some sort of last-minute miracle, we will not reach our funding goal for the Light.
We’re sure many of you are just as disappointed as we are. The emotion in the comment threads has shot skyward over the last week, as the goal began to recede from possibility. We understand and appreciate your disappointment.
But that’s not the end of the story. Far from it.
We now have a 'Plan B' in place - store.moorescloud.com.
The Road Ahead
We remain convinced that the Light by Moore’sCloud is an important product, a new class of device with incredible capability and almost unlimited potential. We have been hard at work throughout December developing an alternative path toward production of the Light.
Today we launched our own crowdfunding site - store.moorescloud.com - to accept pre-orders for the Light by Moore’sCloud. There are a few changes, reflecting what we’ve learned from our Kickstarter campaign:
- For simplicity’s sake, we will offer only the battery-powered Light. The battery-powered Light also works perfectly well with line power (and comes with an adapter), so you’re getting the functionality of the mains-powered Light together with the convenience and portability of the battery-powered Light.
- We’ve raised the price a bit, to $149. The extra margin helps to cover our development costs.
- There's an across-the-board shipping fee of $10 per light.
- Just as with Kickstarter, you will not be billed for your pre-orders until we are ready to manufacture.
- At last, you can order as many Lights as you like! Right now our transaction engine requires that you submit each order separately (apologies, we're working to fix this), but you can submit as many orders as you like!
- In order to raise enough to cover the fixed development costs, we need to pre-sell around 3000 Lights. As we received pledges for more than 2000 Lights during the Kickstarter campaign, we don’t expect this to be difficult.
- We are actively recruiting investors in Moore’sCloud. Every investor dollar reduces the number of Light pre-sales needed to enter manufacturing. We hope to be able to announce some investment in the first quarter of 2013. (If you’re interested in investing, please contact us.)
- Even with investment, we require a minimum of 1000 Light pre-orders in order to get components at prices compatible with our manufacturing plans.
- A spreadsheet detailing our new financial model will be published on our blog tomorrow.
- We intend to keep the campaign open through the end of June 2013. If we haven’t garnered sufficient pre-orders and/or investment to begin production within that time, we will reassess our goals.
- We are proposing a July 2013 ship date for the Light. That’s contingent on a manufacturing process that begins sometime in the first quarter of 2013. If this doesn’t happen, that date will slip.
- We will continue being transparent, open, and fully committed to our business principles of sharing, teaching and learning.
This isn’t the end of the road for the Light by Moore’sCloud - far from it. But we still need your support. Your pre-orders will bring the Light to life. It might take a bit longer than we’d hoped, but it will happen - with your help.
We hope that you will continue to back us, and look forward to your comments in the thread below. As always, you can track daily developments on our blog. Let’s keep the conversation going, the ideas flowing, and the energy moving.
With incredible thanks and gratitude,
The Moore’sCloud Team