About this project
The Frontier Awaits, Colonist! And Your Faction Needs You!
Over a year ago, Clever Mojo Games jumped on the Kickstarter train with our first major game release, Alien Frontiers. People just like you--maybe even you yourself--sent us soaring to nearly 300% of our funding goal and made our game a reality. Now we're back with the first expansion to Alien Frontiers. It's called FACTIONS.
Lots of gamers liked Alien Frontier right out of the box, but there were three major areas where some people thought it could use improvement: Variable Player Powers, Hidden Scoring, and More Players. We're happy to say that Tory Niemann, Alien Frontiers' designer has addressed all three issues in the FACTIONS expansion.
One key thing to remember with the AF: Factions expansion is that it's modular. You can add in the new Alien Tech and leave out the Agendas, or use the Faction boards and Agendas but leave out the Alien Tech. You could even just add the new Alien Tech to your base game and have a blast. Use it all or use just the elements you like most. You are in control of Planet Maxwell...make it your own.
The PDF for the prototype rules for Factions can be downloaded here. They're not pretty yet, but they will serve to introduce you to the expansions rules of play.
Everyone wants to be special and do things that no one else can do and the Factions expansion lets you do just that. Each player is backed by one of eight corporate, political, scientific, criminal, or wacko fringe factions trying to take control of Planet Maxwell. These factions provide each player with a special benefit that only they can utilize and a unique orbital facility that can be rented out to the other players.
- Corex Conglomerate are masters of resource extraction
- Dark Space Explorers have tapped into the power of Alien Tech
- Homesteader's Union is maximizing immigration at the Colonist Hub
- New Gaia Engineers are controlling and fine tuning the Terraforming Station
- Proxima Centauri Scholars have discovered the secrets of the Field Generators
- Scavenger Fleet has infiltrated the Shipyard
- Smuggler's Alliance is proving that there is no honor among thieves
- Uranian Syndicate is sowing the seeds of discontent and reaping the rewards of conflict.
Every few days we'll post a "Backers Only" update with details about each faction, explaining their unique abilities and their orbital facilities. You'll be able to speculate about interesting ways to make use of these benefits and develop your plans to spread your faction's influence throughout the territories of Planet Maxwell.
The deck of Agenda cards bring in a new way to score victory points that are not directly tied to your colonies or the territories you control. Each card has two hidden scoring opportunities described on it: one that you can achieve during game play, and one you can earn at the end of the game and spring on your unsuspecting opponents...but you can only use ONE scoring opportunity per card. Extra Agendas can be obtained at the Orbital Market.
Will you go for the immediate gratification of scoring in-game Agendas, or will you cunningly manipulate events to earn surprise points at the end of the game and race ahead when no one is expecting it?
Almost from day one, Alien Frontiers fans have been asking for the ability to add a fifth player. We listened and we are happy to grant your requests. Alien Frontiers: Factions will contain colonies, dice, and a scoring rocket for a PURPLE player. And, if you didn't get scoring rockets in your base game then we've got you covered, because AF: Factions will also contain a set of red, blue, green, and yellow rockets. You'll have scoring rockets for everyone!
There's also an important rule adjustment to allow that fifth player access at the Colonist Hub along with the original four players.
Adding a fifth player will lengthen the game, so it's not something everyone will enjoy or want. If your gaming group has one or two players prone to analysis paralysis, we highly recommend that you avoid adding yet another player to bog things down. However, if your group is made up of quick rollers and speedy dockers then this will be a great way to pile on more fun.
A previously unknown stasis locker was recently discovered deep in the heart of the Alien Artifact--inside were amazing new technologies. After a year of research the scientists are starting to release the adapted tech for real-world uses.
- Astrogation Servo takes control of ships that are in for repairs or clears away the ships from any orbital facility.
- Chameleon Cloak lets your ships slip into a crowded facility or triggers territory-scale colony moves.
- Electrofabricator harnesses the power of the sun to build ore from star stuff.
- Experimental FTL Drive provides unlimited control over one ship bit has a limited lifespan.
- Lunar Tunneler can extract extra ore when you need it or clear out the Lunar Mine in a flash.
- Multiverse Window expands your Agenda options or completes that hard-to-make Agenda goal.
- Oscillation Capacitor allows you to reuse your Alien Tech or implode your opponent's tech.
- Solar Harvester earns you extra fuel or drains away the fuel of your opponents.
First there was the Game, and it was good. Then came the Expansion and it was exciting. Now comes the Booster... Huh? The what?
Clever Mojo Games will release a series of expansion boosters that...well...expand the AF: Factions Expansion. Each booster will contain a new Faction board, a pair of new Alien Tech cards, and any extra components that might be needed. These Faction Packs will sell for $9.95 but because you're backing us now, you'll get the very first booster, Faction Pack #1, along with the AF: Factions Expansion. (Cut & Run pledge level excluded).
So, what's in this very first Expansion Booster? I'm glad you asked!
- Xeno Explorations, Inc. is the new Faction board -- Xeno has access to a remote exploration vehicle (REV) which they drive across Planet Maxwell, looking for territories to explore and exploit.
- The REV is a custom plastic vehicle miniature -- it is used to show the territory currently being explored and exploited by Xeno Explorations, Inc.
- Seismic Detonator is the new Alien Tech card -- a powerful alien weapon that can clear a territory of colonies, but are you mad enough to dare use it?
The Springboard Seal of Quality is your assurance that a new game project is worth your time and attention. All titles approved for Springboard campaigns are vetted by the game professionals at Game Salute. During this comprehensive evaluation process, Game Salute works with the publisher to ensure solid designs, thorough play testing, excellent presentation, and high quality components.
This Kickstarter funding project for individual gamers like you, is the first step in the overall Springboard campaign for Alien Frontiers: Factions. If we are successfully funded here on Kickstarter, the Springboard campaign will continue on to Phase II, a limited-time opportunity for retailers all around the world to get Alien Frontiers: Factions and the Faction Pack #1 game booster.
We recognize and appreciate the important role that our Kickstarter Backers and Springboard Retailers are playing in the launch of Alien Frontier: Factions and the success of Clever Mojo Games. Therefore, we make the following promises to you:
- The Alien Frontiers base game, available at some pledge levels, will be shipped to you as soon as Amazon Payments transfers the funds to our account. Actual delivery dates will vary depending on your local postal service, but most applicable Backers should have the Alien Frontiers base game by the end of October.
- The Alien Frontiers: Factions expansion and the Faction Pack #1 game booster will be shipped to Kickstarter Backers at least two weeks before the items are available for purchase at ANY convention or store. Actual delivery dates will vary depending on your local postal service.
- Stores who participate in Game Salute Preview Nights for Alien Frontiers: Factions will receive a preview copy for their Game Library in advance of the scheduled release date.
If you're pledging for the Double Down or the Double Double, then your version of the base game will come with the Mind Control Helmet and the scoring rockets right in the box.
If you're pledging for the Cut & Run, In For A Penny, or In For A Pound, then the scoring rockets will be in the AF:Factions package, but not the Mind Control Helmet. In this case, if you want to obtain the Mind Control Helmet you would need to purchase the Premium Pack from Game Salute.
Certainly! The PDF for the prototype rules can be downloaded here.
They're not pretty yet...that will come with time...but they will serve to introduce you to the expansion.
Support this project
- (31 days)