Amber is a chic case that charges Apple Watch on the go. You can charge and protect your Apple Watch with this innovative and stylish portable power bank.
Move around freely as your Apple Watch charges in your bag
- With its snug and secure fit, Amber will ensure that the Apple Watch’s magnetic charger remains securely attached.
- Your Apple Watch will remain protected from any items which may damage or scratch it.
- No need to deal with the hassle of pulling out and untangling wires as the charging cable stays tidily hidden within your Amber, just place your watch in the case and go!
Amber charges iPhone as well
Simply plug your iPhone in the USB port of Amber.
Check Amber's working prototype:
Amber can charge your Apple Watch and iPhone simultaneously:
Amber can fully charge Apple Watch up to 8 times, or iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus once.
The Birth of Amber
Being Apple lovers, it’s no surprise that we got our hands on Apple Watch at its soonest available time. During the long awaited period, we actively discussed and brainstormed, how we could best charge it on the go.
It is our belief that an ideal power bank for Apple Watch should meet the following requirements:
- It must be able to charge Apple Watch on the go. With conventional power banks, the watch would easily disconnect from the magnetic connector – we knew we needed one that would securely hold it in place.
- It would be able to power other devices as well, so we wouldn’t have to carry multiple power banks.
From these initial criteria, Amber was born.
We set to work to build and along the way came up with a creative solution to keep the 2 meter cable secure and elegantly hidden.
Through trial and error, we designed a special spool which the charging cable fits snugly around:
Which can then securely fit the magnetic connector:
We crafted a cover to place over the spool, exposing only the connector creating a space-saving and attractive case following the beautiful Apple aesthetic that we have come to know and love.
This video shows how to twine your 2m or 1m Apple Watch charging cable onto Amber's spool:
Not just a smart power bank, but also a best in class charger
Conventional power banks are not suitable for daily charging because:
- When they have been completely drained and not used for a period of time, it can’t immediately charge other devices even if it’s connected to a power source and charging.
- Conventional power bank’s voltage will become unstable when overloaded due to simultaneously charging devices and being charged with input and output occurring at the same time. Unstable voltage will adversely affect the life and stability of the batteries.
With that in mind, we improved Amber’s circuitry so that when it’s connected to a power source, Amber will continue to charge your Apple Watch, iPhone, and Amber itself directly through the external power supply. By directing the incoming electric current flow outward, Amber effectively saves its battery cycle life. And when Amber itself runs out of charge, it simply functions as a normal charger and powers devices immediately.
Simply plug Amber in and it will power your Apple Watch and iPhone simultaneously all while charging itself.
Raising Amber with the best
The foundation of any power bank is, of course, the battery. This is why we chose world-class battery manufacturer, Desay as our supplier. All Desay batteries are subjected to a battery of tests (we couldn’t help ourselves) before leaving the factory exposing them to extreme temperatures, intense pressure, and aging tests.
To ensure quality at every step of the production process, we chose the biggest and best factory in the world - Foxconn. We have already conducted two successful pre-production trials and we can guarantee that Amber will be subjected to strict and rigorous testing.
Getting Amber to market
- First trial production successfully completed, i.e. EVT (Engineering Verification Test). Amber’s electrical components have been fully tested and verified.
- Second trial production completed, i.e. DVT (Design Verification Test). Amber’s moldings were rigorously tested and tuned.
Check out this video and watch Amber come together:
A simple test of Amber's prototype:
Amber will come in multiple colours
- 2015.03 ClearGrass team founded
- 2015.05 Amber's design concept completed, testing and evaluation completed
- 2015.08 EVT (Engineering Verification Test) delivered
- 2015.09 DVT (Design Verification Test) delivered
- 2015.11 PVT (Progress Verification Test), small batch production begins
- Power in: Micro-USB, compatible with adaptors outputting both 5V/2A and 5V/1A
- Power out 1: USB (Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Connector), 5V/0.5A (max)
- Power out 2: USB, 5.1V/2A (max)
- Battery: 3800mAh, 3.7V
- Dimensions: 101 * 101 * 46.4 mm / 3.98 * 3.98 * 1.83 in.
- Weight: 270g / 9.52 oz.
- Materials: Aluminium, Plastic
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE
Risks and challenges
Scheduling and Logistical Risk:
We aim to have Amber delivered to you all by Christmas 2015 (except Ambers for Later Bloomer backers), in that case we have to complete mass production at the end of November and ship Amber to the world, and during the process there might be a possibility that the production delays and logistic doesn't plan out. In the rare and unfortunate case that happens in the following two months, we will inform you all at once and work on solving it swiftly toward an expedient solution.
Supply Chain Risk:
The core of a power bank's quality is battery's heating, expansion and aging, so we chose Desay battery, one of the best battery factories in the world, as our supplier, and we make sure all batteries have undergone strict testing before delivery. We would rather delay the release of the product than compromise on quality standards.
For export purposes, we need certificates for environmental protection and quality reliability, so we will complete FCC and CE certifications. This process is not yet complete, but we will keep backers informed as we move along.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)