About this project
ClayXYZ is the most user-friendly desktop clay 3D printer ever. Just load the clay, download the model and click start to enjoy it, the process of creation. It allows you to print your special cup, vase and bowl, in addition to artworks like mask, sculpture and building model.
The print material, clay, makes it different from the traditional 3D printer. Clay can be reused, very environment-friendly. Besides, the standardized process of loading clay is as simple as changing a battery.
“Allowing you to create anything from intricate vases and bowls to masks and models, it’s a great idea — and something any self-respecting maker is going to want to add to their home studio.” -Digital Trends
“ClayXYZ promises to be a revolutionary tool for individual ceramicists and sculptures ”- Designboom
“ Printing in clay is getting more popular, where items could make fantastic gifts, mugs, light shades and models. It’s certainly a niche of 3D printing that’s worth exploring further.”-All3DP
Turn your idea into reality. Design your personalized vase, bowl and lampshade. Everyone can be an artist, freely create your sculpture, mask and architecture. Decorate your life with artworks you printed, endowing you with a meaningful lifestyle. Also, you can send your artwork as a surprise gift to someone special.
Most of the previous 3D printers print out ABS or PLA plastic models, just product prototypes or models for display. Now you can use ClayXYZ to print out a unique cup, fire it in kiln. After that, the cup can be directly used to drink water. You can also 3D print your own lampshade and bowl, design your own warm home.
Enjoy the happiness of creation when you get free from your busy work. A great sense of accomplishment will come with your clay turning into a unique model. Work together with your children to design artworks, to explore the world in a brand-new way. You can build your own pyramid, the Great Wall and even the Empire State Building!
Three Steps to Start
- Load the clay: Load clay into the tube, then connect the tube with extrusion device.
- Download the model: start slicing software, download the model you want to print, then set such parameters as thickness and fill ratio.
- Hit print: click start to send print order to the 3D printer.
Don't worry about limited 3D design experience
We share Library of Models. We are continuously developing and adding new models on our Website or Thingiverse. So far, we have successfully printed many models, like cups, kettles, bookends, mask and Great Wall. All those models have been tested, which can be perfectly realized by ClayXYZ.
Also, users can upload awesome models to our website, share them with others.
You can repair the printed artwork
You are able to choose different clays to deliver different styles. Also, you can glaze the artwork if you want it more fascinating. Glaze it with different colors, then fire it via kiln.
Extremely stunning! Besides, you can repair the clay-printed artwork. Don’t worry about making it worse. Melt it in the water and reuse the material. Pretty environment-friendly!
ClayXYZ helps you starting from 1 to ∞
With ClayXYZ, you will be free from spending much time on the same things. As an architect or sculptor, you can let ClayXYZ help you to print a lot of rough models, and then you can adjust and even recreate artworks on the basis of that. This is very time-saving! Just focus on making your most desirable design.
The traditional 3D printer uses ABS plastic material which can not be reused. ClayXYZ uses the ordinary clay. You can dissolve it in water and reuse the material. Pretty environment-friendly.
Easy to Get the Print Materials
You can buy it anywhere you can. Amazon Link
The clay is affordable for everyone.
Reusable Natural Material
Melt it in the water and reuse the material. Pretty environment-friendly!
Try the Air Hardening Modelling Clay
- Great for both classroom and studio use
- Doesn't require oven baking - air dries in 24 hours
- Super pliability helps build hand strength and fine motor skills
- Perfect for all ages
You do not need to worry about firing problems because of this kind of clay exists. It is easy to buy (Amazon Link), and the price is very affordable.
Fire the Model
Decorating it Before Firing
You can add some decorating components when it is half-dry.
How to do it
- Use a moist sponge to softly smear the surface of the dry model, until it is moist;
- Smear the glaze on the surface of the model, until the model is covered with 4 to 5 layers of glaze. Then air-dry the model.
- Add beautiful patterns on the surface by using other glazes if you like it.
- Put it into a kiln to fire it. 20 hours later, done!
If you just want to verify your design, then you do not need firing. If you want to make porcelain, you can choose to fire it. It is easy to buy (Amazon Link), and the price is very affordable.
It can be compatible with many existing FDM 3D printers. The extrusion device employs special air compressor, perfectly remove bubbles out clay. In this way, improve the accuracy of printing, meet the needs of daily creation.
If you already have an FDM 3D printer, you just need to buy the extrusion device to enjoy the fun of creating artworks from clay.
- Printer firmware: Arduino Mega2560 as master control, compatible with Reprap Marlin firmware.
- Extruder: high-precision stepper motor-driven spiral extrusion structure.
- Overall structure: aluminum XYZ three-axis high-precision stepper motor control structure, the accuracy of 15 microns.
- Supports Windows, Mac, or Linux
- Connected to PC via USB
- Supports model formats: STL, OBJ, STP, IGS
- Print control software: Repetier Host
- Compatible Slice Software: Slic3r or Cura
- Supports Windows, Mac, or Linux
Support ordinary clay material. Improve clay performance by adding additives like gypsum powder.
- How do We Control Accuracy?
The overall mechanical frame is made of 2020 aluminum, employs screw drive linear guide structure. With Arduino Mega2560 as the master, the use of A4988 drive module to drive high-precision stepper motor, in addition to Marlin firmware compatible with Reprap printer, ClayXYZ’s mechanical precision reaches 15 microns.
More complete and unedited printing videos can be seen on our YouTube channel HERE.
- How do We Control Print Quality?
The use of high-precision stepper motor drive extrusion device, along with the pressure valve and solenoid valve, achieves the control of clay pressure and switch. Ultimately, print precision comes to 0.2mm.
- How We Made It So Affordable?
Open source Arduino Mega2560 and Marlin firmware compatible Reprap are used to control XYZ triaxial motion of the printer, greatly reducing the cost on the premise of ensuring printer accuracy and quality. The use of recyclable ordinary clay as a raw material greatly reduces the cost of materials.
A Ceramic Baby gift package includes 5 small vases and a real wood box. You can put a flower, a leaf to decorate your life. You can enjoy the beauty of ceramic with Ceramic Baby.
○ Idea bursts& market research - October, 2015
○ Prototype - May 2016
○ Software Design - July 2016
○ Industrial Design - November 2016
○ The 1st-generation product - November 2016
○ The 2nd-generation product - January 2017
○ Preparation for Kickstarter - March 2017
○ Launching on Kickstarter - May 2017
○ Collection of backer information - July 2017
○ Production - December 2017
○ Delivery - March 2018
- Founder and CEO - John Fray, a ceramic artist, having studying ceramics for 5 years. Love to extend ceramics to more people.
- Mechanical Engineer – Jesse Robichaux, a master of Mechanical Engineering, with 5-year work experience in mechanical design. Have a passion for robotics.
- Electronic Engineer -Edwin Lozada, a master of electronics Engineering, works in the field of Electronics Design for 3 years. Expert in 3D printer.
- Software Engineer - Joseph Shelton, a master of Software Engineering, 5 years in software design, loves ceramics.
- Industrial designers - Anthony McNichols, 4 years in industrial design, once won IF Award
- Product Manager - Christopher Juarez, responsible for interactive design and project management
- Marketing - Violet R. Coleman, an expert in products development and marketing.
- Supply chain management - Tommy Cheek, has rich experience of supply chain management, responsible for many large projects.
My name is John, a ceramics enthusiast. I have a ceramics studio, spending over ten hours a day studying ceramics. Meanwhile, I would like to extend ceramics to the public, so I always open the studio to interested people to experience ceramic art. During that process, I found that many people wanted to realize their thoughts about design. Why don’t help them to realize that! So, the idea of designing a magical tool came to me. When I first started researching, the technology of 3D printing ceramics was an exciting and interesting one. But, the desktop 3D printers on offer were unable to live up expectations. Industrial 3D printers could make that but these would be too costly to produce. So I decided to work with the professional team, spent more than one year designing ClayXYZ, the best desktop clay 3D printer.
Our goal of designing ClayXYZ is to want more people to experience the fun of DIY, let more people achieve their own ideas. When using ClayXYZ, no more worry about the harm of the print material, the clay is totally healthy. Besides, we even can glaze the clay model, fire it via kiln. You can directly use your DIY cups, bowls and lampshades, and decorate your home with those famous buildings and statues. A very interesting experience is that you are able to make a special gift for your friends via ClayXYZ.
Click and Download Media Kit
Risks and challenges
Just like any other project, we face challenges when it comes to engineering, manufacturing and shipping. But what we have is not only a passion, an idea, a design, we also have the work experience and professional knowledge in the field of 3D printer, marketing and manufacturing. Our team members are based in CA, US and Dongguan, China to make sure that we are close to the factories. Our mechanical engineers, electronic engineers and software engineers have spent over one years designing, testing and upgrading ClayXYZ, finding solutions to make it fast and accurate to ensure its high quality.
As for the manufacturing and shipping, we have carried on the prototype trial production. Our team are very experienced in the relevant areas. CEO has studied pottery for 4 years. The mechanical engineers, electronic engineers, software engineers and supply chains have more than 5 years of experience in related areas. We are confident that we will complete the mass production and deliver ClayXYZ on time. We will update the production and delivery information, keep informing you with the latest progress of the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)