Frequently Asked Questions
On Discord: https://discord.gg/5fxwu9nLast updated:
- Think of it more like a sports game where teams have ratings and some teams are clearly better than others. They're trying to keep the teams accurate to real life. Likewise I'm trying to keep these characters (mostly) accurate to their games. They'll each have a rating/tier shown on the character select screen too, like sports games.
- You'll be able to customize which characters are enabled. So you could ban annoying characters, or force a low-tier only match, or force everyone to pick the same character for a balanced mirror-match (think something like Duck Game, Samurai Gunn, Towerfall). Players can take turns forcing a different character set for each match. So you can also think of the game as multiple games in one.
- By default the game has rubber-banding (think Mario Kart). If you're losing you're able to get better items aka comeback items. Losing players also end up getting items more frequently since items spawn closer to them. Another rubber-banding mechanic the game has is post-hit invincibility time based on score, i.e. your invincibility time after getting hit lasts longer if you're behind. All this keeps matches closer and more exciting.
- I’ve had a few people tell me they’re surprised at how balanced the game is. Others have said certain characters are overpowered or low tier, but at least there’s debate about it.
- The default mode is a very casual, "everyone's a winner" mode. I'm currently calling it Infinite Mix and the idea is from Stick Fight: The Game. This mode has no end, just an infinite number of 1-life rounds. The rounds end when 1 player is left, then it’s onto the next round with a new level. Match is over when you quit. No score display, no results screen showing who lost. This is great for a casual party game where nobody wants to see themselves listed as a loser. After you die you get a mini-character select screen in your corner with a few random characters to choose from for the next round. This allows for more rubber-banding because: 1) Duplicate choices won't be allowed so the first to die gets first choice and will have the upper hand next round. 2) The character sets here will be tier-based, so first round may be A-tier characters while the next round may be C-tier characters, but if someone hasn't won a round in a while they'll get to be a higher tier character than everyone else for a round.
- Another mode (inspired by Arms Race/Gun Game in Counter-Strike/Call of Duty) requires getting a kill with every character. After each kill you respawn as the next character. First to get a kill with every character wins. In this mode it doesn't matter how overpowered a character is. Even a character like Tim from Braid could work with his unlimited time-rewinding ability.
- For Adventure mode, I'm not exactly sure yet but it will involve limiting how often you can play as the over-powered characters. I may do something like Broforce. Either way a free-choice mode would be unlocked by beating the game.Last updated:
- So far the fans of Clash Bros don’t mind the clashing art (I've not heard any complaints).
- I'm open to hiring an artist to redo the art in a unified style if I ever have enough money.
- I don't want to go too far with the clashing art so I'm only allowing pixel style characters. If I get permission to use a higher-res character like Cuphead then I would get his sprites redone in a pixel style.
- I'm adding a filter option in case you want to limit character/level selection to either 8-bit style or 16-bit style. This is done automatically in the Infinite Mix mode where each round is randomly one of the two styles.
- Using the original sprites saves a lot of time/money which will instead be spent on adding more characters or improving other parts of the game.
- There's a certain charming look and identity that you might only get with the original sprites. In general I want characters to feel like they've been plucked straight from their games, crossing over into new universes but still retaining the look and feel of their home universe.Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question