CineStill Medium Format Film
CineStill Medium Format Film
Making a tungsten balanced, ISO 800, still photography film to be used in the millions of Medium Format cameras worldwide!
Making a tungsten balanced, ISO 800, still photography film to be used in the millions of Medium Format cameras worldwide! Read more
About this project
Cinema films for still photographers:
CineStill 800Tungsten is a high speed, ISO 800 (up to ISO 3200 with push processing) color film, created for still photography in low light. It is currently available in 35mm, and due to its growing success and overwhelming demand for a medium format version, we are looking to the film community to invest in the future of film and fuel the analog renaissance!
Currently, photographers have very limited options when shooting in artificial light. CineStill 800T is the only high speed color film currently made that is compatible with incandescent/tungsten light. No other still photography film produces such natural color and fine grain when shooting in tungsten light. Not only can you expect good color in low light, 800T can even be pushed up to ISO 3200 and be trusted to produce beautiful results! This opens up a whole new world of shooting possibilities for photographers, allowing them to shoot with the cameras they love in limited available light or in the studio with continuous hot lights, similar to those used on the set of a motion picture film. The unsurpassed quality and cutting edge technology used in cinema film gives 800T amazing exposure and color latitude, allowing extreme flexibility when shooting in mixed light or even in daylight without any filtration, producing excellent color and tonality in nearly any lighting situation!
As a supporter of this Kickstarter campaign, you will be funding the establishment of appropriately scaled manufacturing and continued production of medium format CineStill film. As a reward, you will have, among other things, the opportunity to start shooting this coveted film in 120 format before it hits shelves worldwide! Please check out our reward levels and give as much as you are able to support the creation of this fantastic film in medium format!
All fulfillment on KickStarter includes taxes and shipping & handling (no surprise additional fees). This means that when we fulfill for a $20 reward, only $13 is left for the actual reward cost (including additional taxes and transaction fees).
To give you a better idea of what the rewards cost after shipping & handling look at the reward tiers below. Committing to 10 rolls reduces reward fulfillment to $11.21 per roll, and 4-5 Pro Packs brings cost down to the $10 range. The best per roll value we can now offer is under $9 for our most committed supporters!
Rewards (Roll Values) Simplified
International Shipping Instant Rebate: Additional shipping charges listed for "outside the US" are based on average estimated international shipping rates. After this project meets it's goal, we will finally collect all of your actual addresses and refund any excess shipping fees collected for backers outside the US, based on our best actual shipping cost for your address!
Remember, Kickstarter is not made for preordering products, it is for raising funds and awareness, to launch unique new products that would otherwise not be able to exist. The benefit of receiving rolls to shoot before it is available for retail purchase is simply a thank you. The reward levels do not correlate with any retail value.
Your backing doesn't only get you these rewards, it enables us to setup manufacturing and distribution of this new film at an affordable retail price. The goal is to have it cost you no more than any other premium quality, high speed color 120 film. Realistically between $10 and $12 USD retail.
But this can only be the case if we are funded! So please do your part, whatever you can, it will take everyone's support to make this happen! GET THE WORD OUT! SPREAD THE WORD AND SHARE WITH SOCIAL MEDIA!
Key benefits of having CineStill 800T in medium format:
- Tungsten balanced for a wide range of lighting situations (no more mirky yellow/orange photos when shooting indoors under available light)
- Compatible with standard C-41 lab processing or at home
- Amazing resolution and fine grain at high ISO
- That unique "cinematic" look!
- Shoot your favorite medium format cameras: Hasselblad, Contax, Pentax, Rollei, Mamiya, Holga/Diana and other vintage and toy cameras!
- Expands and sustains the analog still and motion picture film markets
- Opens the door for future new medium format films for photographers
- Improved and more efficient production of existing CineStill 135 format films resulting in better quality and wider availability.
- Availability WORLDWIDE!
Our goal is ambitious, since we have set the bar not just to simply fulfill a one time limited run for this campaign, but to finance a sustainable operation we can maintain for years to come. This will include production, packaging, and distribution, therefore ensuring the continued availability of this highly sought after film, without having to waste time and resources to raise funds all over again. A larger goal and wider availability of CineStill films will also result in a reciprocal effect on further ensuring the sustainability and production of the cinema emulsions our films are based on. The end goal of this campaign is ensuring the future of widely available advanced film technology.
Where the money goes:
Film Manufacturing Commitments:
We have sourced the necessary medium format compatible materials and collaborators for photofinishing, to begin a scalable production and fulfillment of the highest quality products in multiple formats. The converted medium format compatible material will then be cut down to its appropriate size, spooled to 120 length with paper backing, then finished in standard packaging. Not only are we able to get 120 film manufactured, but we will increase efficiency of 135 production with improved levels of quality control. We just need a commitment to an initial investment to make this design a reality!
Expenses for Fulfillment:
Most simply put, it costs money to raise money. Nearly 30% of the project goal is set aside for costs incurred from doing the Kickstarter. Not only does Kickstarter have their fee, amazon has theirs, there are taxes, and then the broad range of shipping and handling costs.
CineStill Configuration & Process:
This is our specialty! Converting motion picture emulsion to still photography format. Your support will also fund the constructing of newly engineered machines and the retooling of some existing equipment, to be able to convert the materials, at a capacity to supply 120 and 35mm film to the world. A small-scale production line that is flexible and collaborative will begin by converting necessary photographic materials. This sort of production will guarantee a more efficient and consistent process, which will increase quality and availability, where a single large-scale industrial operation may not be flexible enough to adapt to fluctuating market behavior quickly, and would be forced to discontinue or become extremely wasteful.
9 steps to make CineStill in medium format a reality:
- Acquire Kodak Vision 3 (5219) motion picture film emulsion, on which Cinestill 800T film is based from, in a medium format compatible size at affordable quantities (sourced)
- Construct, retool, and configure small-scale production machines and equipment for in-house handling of the medium format compatible film, and converting it to be safe for standard photo lab processing. This is our specialty! In contrast to still film, motion picture film has a black layer on its backing which is normally removed during development by chemically saturating the exposed film in the motion picture lab processors. We have to remove this layer, without any chemical reaction in the emulsion, so that you can shoot the film and your lab can process it in regular C-41 chemistry. We do this through our unique proprietary process which does not contaminate, fog or damage the sensitive emulsion. (designed)
- Acquire quality paper backing including instructions & frame number printing on backing through a collaborator (secured)
Acquire 120 spools through a collaborator (secured)
- Have collaborators perform mechanized slitting and cutting of the film to the appropriate size for 120 format (secured). Have them setup, test, calibrate and carry out the highly complex mechanized assembly of the 120 rolls (secured) and the packaging of the film into its final product packaging (designed)
- Deliver the film to you (arranged and pursuing more efficient options)
- Insure all components and materials for their full replacement value, and have in place contingency plans for uninterrupted production for years to come
- Expand distribution and availability of CineStill 120 around the world to fulfill demand and encourage sufficient consumption to maintain affordability of production (arranged)
- Continue further production of 800T and new emulsions with our collaborators, and build new relationships to expand the possibilities of analog photography"
None of this can be done without the continued support of the analog film community around the world! Please consider how you can best support this Kickstarter through giving and promoting this page to all of your friends. Share us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and through any means at your disposal.
It takes all of us! This is OUR renaissance!
ABOUT CINESTILL FILM
The CineStill Story
"Original beta testing for this newly available film began in late 2012, but the concept and original development tests began years before, when we first started shooting the amazing Kodak Vision 3 500T 5219 for our own photography. We accomplished this back then by shooting a long-roll 250 exposure bulk film back and through developing a special relationship with a local motion picture lab. We did this because of the costly minimum lengths required by motion picture labs, and because the more splicing that occurred, the more the film became damaged and contaminated. We found moderate success with this technique, but the real journey to "800T" began when scores of photographers began contacting us about how they too could use this wonderful film. Compelled by our love for analogue photography, and neither one of us ever one to back down from a challenge, we came to the conclusion that we had to find a way to make it usable in standard 135 canisters with standard developing.
"Cross processing these amazing film stocks in standard C-41 machines was not accessible until the hurdles of rem-jet and continuous long roll processing were overcome. Our very custom "Premoval" process makes this motion picture (ECN-2) film safe for processing in standard photo lab machines and in C-41 kits, with great color and a slightly increased gamma level, equivalent to a professional 800 Tungsten C-41 film.
"Until now, cinematographers have been spoiled with film technology for years before still photographers got their hand-me-downs in the form of "new" emulsions. Today, CineStill brings the wonders of cinema film technology directly to still photographers worldwide. Now, anyone can use film in the same lighting situations as new blockbuster movies and TV shows such as Inception, Argo, Lincoln, all of the Batman movies, Django Unchained, Man of Steel, Les Misérables, The Master, the new Star Track films, the forthcoming Star Wars films, all Wes Anderson's films, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Castle, True Blood, American Horror Story, 30 Rock, and the list goes on and on and on. No more switching to high ISO digital or on camera flash in tungsten lit environments, because CineStill 800Tungsten Xpro C-41 is now available to still photographers worldwide!
Risks and challenges
The initial risk would be not receiving the financing necessary to retool and fulfill production of medium format. Once we are financed, the risk would be loss due to unforeseeable hazard or error, which is why we will insure all components for their full value and assure replacement. Once we have successfully produced and sold this initial run, there would be the possible risk of exhausting market demand.
Ideally we would begin another larger production run for 120 and 35mm respectively, and continue to actively fuel the analog film renaissance, through increasing consumption of photographic materials and collaboration throughout the analog community. We will not only be creating a new and exciting product, we will also be securing the continued production and availability of these motion picture and still photography materials and services.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)