Hi, I'm Christopher Hopkins, a recent college graduate from Kean University's Graphic Design program, character designer and story developer. In association with In Search Of Games, LLC., a publisher of roleplaying games (RPGs), I'm developing LatchKey, a simplified, accessible role-playing experience that will introduce new players to the world of tabletop gaming.
Set in the year 2075, you take on the role of a young adult during the rebuilding of Nashville, Tennessee three years after a civil war. Suddenly, three figures invade and split the city amongst themselves and it's up to you and your party to embark on journeys, solve mysteries, drive these mysterious intruders out of the city and restore it to normalcy.
LatchKey is a tabletop roleplaying game I developed with the intention to initiate new players into the RPG experience. LatchKey is meant to teach new players the details about a RPG, without sacrificing the storytelling or the challenge that usually comes with an introductory game.
What started out as a passion project based off an innocuous request evolved into a stunning portfolio piece during my final year of college, and now a very tangible, very real Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for it. My goal with this campaign is to print out physical books and send them out to players and RPG enthusiasts alike, and introduce them to this world that's been three years in the making.
LatchKey comes with the following:
- A Black & White PDF or Hardcover book containing:
- 6 Playable Classes
- An Introduction & Directions to the LatchKey Game System
- A 25-page introductory adventure
- A section on running the adventure as the Game Master (GM).
- If you pledge $5 or more, you'll have your name in the Special Thanks section of the core rulebook.
- If you pledge $10 or more, you get all previous rewards and a PDF Copy of LatchKey.
- If you pledge $40 or more, you get all previous rewards and a signed Hardcover Version of LatchKey.
- If you pledge $70 or more, you get all previous rewards and an exclusive LatchKey Tee.
- If you pledge $100 or more, you get all previous rewards and your Original Latchkey Character drawn by me. (I love character design, so this is great for me!)
- If you pledge $200 or more, you get all previous rewards and receive access to a special Discord server where I will run an exclusive scenario of LatchKey.
(If there is not enough people to run a campaign, you'll still have access to the Discord Server and Christopher Hopkins will host a miniature press conference; min of 3 players)
If we surpass our goals I have a few ideas in mind to show you all:
- $2,000 - I'll create a comic based on the world of LatchKey. It will be a limited series of 5 issues detailing the underlying story of post-war Nashville.
- $3,000 - Along with In Search of Games, we'll be publishing a second adventure book, with non-canon scenarios by guest writers and illustrators.
- $4,500 - Collaborating with In Search of Games again, we'll be publishing a third book of non-canon scenarios by more guest writers and illustrators.
Risks and challenges
This is my very first Kickstarter. I have more than a general understanding about how this works, but I might make some mistakes. I'll get them solved as quickly as I can, and I'll own up to every single one. You have my word.
I developed this game be an accessible role-playing experience made for parents to introduce to their children (ages 8+), but not sacrificing any of the storytelling or challenge in the process. It's challenging, but nothing good stories and great gameplay can't handle.
The main obstacle here is the funding for physical printing. I want to deliver a hardcover book to all players, both new and old, and introduce them to this world of war, danger, and family ties.
This is really big jump for me. Just getting out of school and getting to do something that I love and sharing it with all of you is more important than you guys can imagine. Thank You.
Even if this doesn't get completely funded on here, this is something that I will still work on and share every last update with you guys. And if it gets funded, I'm glad you're on this journey with me. Thank you so much.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)