HUGE REWARDS UPDATE!
Because you deserve as much as possible for backing this project, the $25 Tier now includes a softcover copy of Camp Myth in addition to the other rewards!
But wait, there's more! All tiers now include an audiobook version of Camp Myth!
Still on the fence about becoming a backer? Here's what you'll now get for only $25:
-Short story pack
-Camp Myth eBook
-Camp Myth audio book
-Camp Myth Softcover
-Design a Level 2 Camper (name, race, description, line of dialogue)
-Deisgn an official Camp Myth merit badge
-Eliminate a lower-tiered camper from the story
There has never been a better time to sign up! :)
What is Camp Myth?
"Camp Myth, your name we say with pride.
Our haven from the world outside.
And when this mountain we descend,
All mythic creed return as friend."
- Official Camp Motto
Have you ever wanted to ride a Pegasus? Fish for a Kraken? How about tame a pet Phoenix, or play chess with a Sphinx?
Each year, mythic children of all ages and races are invited to attend Camp Myth, a special summer camp built to teach them about the cultures and dangers of the Unseen World.
But for Felix, a young Fae with a knack for getting into trouble, it means little more than a chance to break free from his overprotective parents and enjoy a few weeks without responsibilities. That is, until a series of mysterious events turn camp life upside-down, and he accidentally stumbles upon a sinister plot to enslave all myth-kind.
Together with his cabin-mates, Argee - the planet's dorkiest Cyclops, and Kit - an orphaned Kitsune unable to control her shape-shifting powers, Felix will meet strange new friends, earn amazing merit badges, and maybe, just maybe...
Survive until the closing ceremony!
(Cover art by: Anne Ballaran)
Create a Camper! Design the Camp!
Camp Myth is the first YA novel that allows readers to take part in the action and directly affect the setting and events of the final product. Becoming a backer means you will not only be supporting a unique work of fiction, but - depending on the donation tier - you'll be able to have more of a creative voice in the world where everyone will interact.
Dontations of any amount are greatly appreciated, and rewards start at only one dollar. But at the ten dollar level and beyond, you will be able to enroll in the camp, and you can select the mythical race (from eight) and name of a camper in the novel. The more you donate, the more defined and important your character will become, with higher tiers allowing backers to become camp counselors – or even main characters!
But wait, there’s more. Camp Myth is a pretty dangerous place, and not every camper returns home in one piece. After all, the mythic community is no place for creatures that aren’t capable of facing a little danger. That’s why, beginning at the $25 dollar level and higher, every backer will be responsible for randomly removing a lower-tiered backer’s character from the camp.
That’s right. While your character won’t do the deed directly, you’ll be personally responsible for someone else’s character being taken out of the story. Will they be eaten after taunting a wild dragon, or sent home early after being caught with contraband phoenix feathers? Who knows? But since you are only a potential target to people who have contributed to higher donation tiers, the higher you go, the better chance you’ll have of making it to the graduation ceremony.
("Camper-Crashing sketch by Jay Camay - These sketches will serve as chapter headers, and will feature backer-created characters.)
But there’s even more! In addition to creating a character, several tiers are able to contribute directly to Camp Myth lore. You can design merit badges that the cast will attempt to earn during their stay, and choose whether the main characters succeed or fail, with consequences that will impact the rest of the story. Returning to the phoenix example, a backer could say they want the camp to have a badge for spotting a phoenix in the wild. If they choose for the characters to succeed, perhaps they will find one of its fire-starting feathers to use later. Or maybe they fail, startling the phoenix, and in return it angrily torches the nearby baseball diamond (and half of the players!) Hey, I told you it was dangerous.
In addition to e-books, short story packs, signed copies of the book, custom characters, authorship of events, and the fun of eliminating other campers, you can also get custom art from the spectacular Anne Ballaran (http://anneballaran.daportfolio.com) of your camper earning your personally-designed merit badge (or your counselor assisting in a merit badge attempt gone wrong).
All funds raised for Camp Myth will be used to create, publish, and distribute the novel. I'm not going to retire on a private island or anything. By the time I pay my artists, publishing, distribution, and advertising costs, I'm hoping to enjoy a nice sandwich with the remaining profits :)
While there is a core story line that will guide the narrative, all of the moving parts are able to be modified while the original concept remains in place. There are some restrictions, though, obviously. The success of Camp Myth will only be possible if people are willing to channel their creativity in a positive way. I’m going to be moderating to ensure that no one is paying money just to troll. To that end, here are the rules:
1) Character names can be human or made-up, but cannot be offensive, completely ridiculous, based on celebrities, or any other copyrighted material. Sure, a Minotaur called Dave could work (for, you see, several mythic races have incorporated human names into their cultures) and so could 'Rhhal Scarhorn.' But you can’t just donate to the project and demand to name a camper “Stinky McDerp,” or "Harry Potter." The same rules apply to custom dialogue, and locations.
2) A variation of these rules also apply to merit badges. While you can create a badge for most any type of activity involving a mythic creature, there cannot be any badges that overtly encourage violence or non-fantasy criminal behaviour. "Steal a trinket from Medusa's forest hut?" - Sure. "Fillet a Mermaid?" - No.
("Camper-Crashing" sketch by Jay Camay)
3) After becoming a backer, you may submit your character and/or merit badge ideas at any time to either this Kickstarter account, or firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for contributions will be two weeks after the kickstarter campaign has ended. All unsubmitted backers will be contacted for their ideas prior to that date, and failure to respond will result in your submissions not being included. However, you will still receive all other rewards, and will be responsible for eliminating a lower-tiered camper.
4) The author (me) can be contacted at any time with thoughts or questions about your submissions. For Level 3 characters and higher, I will be in contact though email (or Skype) regarding how you'd prefer your character be portrayed in certain scenes. Level 4 and 5 characters will likely involve several exchanges, so hopefully you're willing to do a fair amount of collaborating.
5) The author (me) reserves the right to make the final decision to include any and all content submissions. Believe me, I hope I'm not forced to ultimately override anything, and I'm totally willing to work with you in order to refine a particular idea. But if you're unflinching in your belief that your character should explore the geo-political ramafications of Camp Myth being discovered by NASA satellites, I might have to step in. Remember, keep it fun, fantastical, and friendly.
6) By backing and submitting ideas to this project, you agree that you are allowing those ideas and characters to be used by the author of Camp Myth as he deems fit, and you are not entitled to any further compensation - monetary or otherwise - aside from your specified donation rewards. I hate to get legal all of a sudden, but you know how it is.
I truly believe this project can become a wonderful, entertaining experience that allows for creative people to come together and build an incredible world. This is an opportunity to take part in a landmark in collaborative storytelling, but, like most things in life, it can only reach its full potential if people are willing to take it seriously.
It’s going to be a lot of work, but I know that I’m up for it if you all are :)
Creature Races of Camp Myth
Backers can choose from the following eight mythic races when designing their camper/counselor. (Art provided by the fantastic Jay Camay: www.jron-camay.com.)
Aggressive, arrogant, and valuing strength above all else, Cyclopes are feared throughout the mythic community. However, despite their violent tendencies, most are natural artisans. Unfortunately, this usually results in the creation of stronger, deadlier weapons.
Serving as heralds of the elements, the Fae draw strength from Earth, Fire, Water, and Wind in order to maintain the world's natural balance. Fae adults are known to be highly pragmatic thinkers, and despise anything that might be considered "fun."
Able to shape-shift between fox and human forms, the Kitsune are magical as they are cunning. There is no greater honour for a Kitsune than to develop additional tails, as they symbolize strength and maturity.
Existing as physical embodiments of nature, and possessing the ability to commune with animals, Dryads can live for hundreds of years by bonding their spirits with the trees themselves. These bonds are so powerful that when one dies, so does the other.
Incredibly fast and fiercely competitive, these half-human, half-horse creatures are unique in their belief that all matters - from political to personal - can be settled with a game of skill. Females of the species prefer to be called by their proper name: Kentaurides.
Either as man or maid, Mer are the undisputed masters of the sea and all its creatures. Despite popular belief, most Mer can survive on land for several hours, provided they return to their watery domains to recover from the exposure.
Also known as goblins, kobolds, or brownies, the Redcap is a deceitful trickster of the highest order. Although small in size, Redcaps are known for their love of dangerous pranks, and seldom think of the consequences of their actions.
Natural leaders, Minotaurs are as wise as they are ferocious in battle. However, due to several centuries-long feuds between rival clans, there are rumored to be less than a few hundred Minotaurs left in existence.
- (45 days)