About this project
The FreedomCase allows you to customize your viewing angle through a unique folding mechanism. The low profile, lightweight, and durable case integrates with your Surface’s kickstand and works seamlessly with or without your Touch and Type covers. A built-in stylus holder allows you to secure your stylus while charging.
Why choose the FreedomCase?
- Adjusts to the way you use your tablet: multiple viewing angles and easy one-handed operation allows your Surface to adapt to the way you work, allowing you to use your Surface in any situation or configuration. It eases the strain on your upper neck and back, since you can properly adjust the angle based on how you’re using your Surface.
- Functional and sleek: low profile with enhanced functionality, the FreedomCase won’t get in the way when you’re ready to pack up your Surface and go. Adding minimal bulk at less than 3 mm (1/10th of an inch) thick and weighing less than 10 ounces, you won't notice it in your bag. It doesn’t cover up your ventilation ports or screen bezel, so you don’t have to worry about overheating or framing your screen with an unprofessional, unsightly bulge.
- Add stability: the FreedomCase creates a more stable platform, allowing you to use it more effectively while on uneven surfaces (such as your lap).
- Better protection for peace of mind: the FreedomCase wraps around your Surface while not in use and closes securely with hidden rare earth magnets. Impact protection is provided by ABS panels and a durable polyurethane exterior. The interior is microfiber suede, so it is gentle on your Surface and prevents scratches.
- Secure your stylus and charge: an elastic loop allows you to secure your stylus while the charger is connected.
- Works with your keyboard covers: the unique design integrates with the Surface kickstand. It works with or without a keyboard cover (both Touch and Type, all generations). You can use it with the keyboard cover deployed or folded behind the Surface for use in tablet mode.
- Designed for Surface: the FreedomCase has been approved by Microsoft to be fully compatible with your Surface. We designed this with the Surface as our single priority, so you can be confident you will be receiving a premium product.
Why back the FreedomCase on Kickstarter?
We feel that Microsoft Surface owners deserve something much better than what’s currently available. The FreedomCase endeavors to bring a high level of design and innovation to a relatively stagnant range of accessories.
We’ve put more than seven months of time into prototyping and researching the best way to design this case. We’ve listened to you, the members of the Surface community, on the features and functionality that you’d like to see. By incorporating your feedback, the FreedomCase is truly a representation of “ask and ye shall receive”. Together, we can make this product a reality.
How was the FreedomCase created and how has it evolved?
Chris first had the idea for the FreedomCase (then called the Smart Surface Case) in May 2013 when he bought his Surface Pro. He discovered that the available cases had major shortcomings: too bulky, limited functionality, didn't play well with the kickstand, wasn't compatible with keyboard covers, covered up ports, etc.
So, he set out to create a better solution. Drawing from his background as an engineer, Chris started sketching out prototypes and purchasing raw materials to build his first case. Testing magnet placement for the case was also important as certain magnet placements had the potential to affect the Surface in undesired ways (namely, putting it to sleep).
In September 2013, he presented early prototypes to the Surface community to get feedback. He received an overwhelmingly positive response and continued to improve the case. Through December of 2013, and the creation of many different iterations of prototypes, we've arrived at something that is unique and refined.
Pledge and receive your gift
By backing our project, you will receive the gift of your choice. We appreciate any and all support, and early backers will get discounted pricing and priority. Gifts include:
- FreedomCase in Black: the standard case with a durable black polyurethane exterior, fitted for either the Surface RT/2 or Surface Pro/Pro 2. Start using your Surface the way you want!
- FreedomCase in PU Leather: the standard case but with a PU leather exterior, fitted for either the Surface RT/2 or Surface Pro/Pro 2. Start using your Surface the way you want!
- Commemorative FreedomCase Microfiber Cloth: receive a microfiber cloth that matches the exact dimensions of the Surface screen. A great way to keep it clean and to act as a barrier to protect your Surface during transport. Use it to clean any surface, including laptops, televisions, and glasses. Tastefully embossed with the FreedomCase logo.
If our fundraising goal is met, we will immediately begin production to get you your gift. We’ve already visited and qualified several manufacturers and Kickstarter funds will go towards mold creation, tooling, materials, production, shipping, and fulfillment.
We know you want receive your gift as soon as possible, so we’ve partnered with a top tier fulfillment house that will send you your items as soon as they've landed.
May 2013 - January 2013: Prototyping, testing, gathering feedback, and more. DONE!!!
February 13 - March 15, 2014: Kickstarting the FreedomCase. LET’S DO THIS!
UPDATE: February 14 @ 11:45 AM EST / 8:45 AM PST: 100% FUNDED IN 20 HOURS! Let's keep this ball rolling!
March 16 - April 20*, 2014: Preparing machinery and tooling, and PRODUCTION.
April 20* - April 30*, 2014: Your FreedomCase and gifts get on a boat (we’re on a boat!) en route to our fulfillment center.
May 1, 2014 - May 14*, 2014: Your gifts start going out … and you start using your Surface the way you want!
*UPDATE: New delivery date estimated to be mid-May, 2014
What the Microsoft Surface community has been saying about the FreedomCase:
"I am most impressed with the stunning new angles incorporated in the FreedomCase... especially love how I can use my Surface on my lap or even when I am lying in bed." - Elly C.
"That is amazing. Fits the keyboard, has magnetic clasps... THIN! Need. Now. I need it." - John G.
"This version looks much easier to utilize the different viewing angles. Simple design, but incredible versatility." - Neeraj A.
"The 82 degree angle will be wonderful for note taking. Just take my money!" - Derek M.
What the press has been saying about the FreedomCase:
"4 Ground-Breaking Crowdfunding Campaigns: If you’ve been disappointed with other Surface cases, it’s time to enjoy the FreedomCase experience." - BusinessBee.com
"What's innovative about this case design is its oragami-like qualities, as it is fully integrated with the current built-in kickstands and official MS cover/keyboard accessories and will allow the user to prop up the device in a variety of angles and typing positions." - Jason Perlow, ZDNet.com
"Not only does the FreedomCase look promising in its utility, it also looks like a lot of fun to use." - WinRTSource.com
"FreedomCase is the next cover you’ll want for your Surface... You can bet we’re backing this project." - WPCentral.com
If we meet our initial fundraising goal we will start unlocking new features as we hit other fundraising milestones.
$150K Stretch Goal: Customization Options! For a small fee you can have any graphics of your choice printed on the exterior of your FreedomCase. Printing will use a cutting edge UV process that allows you create a truly personalized and custom case.
Stretch goal #2 (not announced yet) Colors for everyone! YOU get a color and YOU get a color… and YOU get a color! Pick from standard black or a color to match your Type Cover 2: blue, magenta, or purple. (You will be able to choose your FreedomCase color when the fulfillment process starts)
Stretch goal #3 (not announced yet) Major microfiber action! Everyone who pledges $39 or above receives an extra microfiber cloth included with their gift!
Help us get the word out!
Risks and challenges
The FreedomCase has gone through an extensive development and prototyping process, dating back to May 2013. Many variations were created and iterated upon, all while gathering and incorporating feedback from Surface owners.
We’ve visited and qualified several manufacturers in the Shenzhen, China area and have been working with them to make sure your FreedomCase will be delivered with the highest level of quality and to our exact specifications. The materials have already been selected and quotes for tooling and manufacturing are in hand. The manufacturers we are working with have been vetted for quality output and adherence to our production timeline.
While we have very carefully planned out the costs of creating molds, tooling, procuring raw materials, labor, and shipping, there can be unforeseen events that adversely affect production -- just like with any other project. However, our team has extensive experience with manufacturing, supply chain management, logistics, and fulfillment with products sourced from China. All costs have been carefully detailed and calculated.
We have done our best to minimize risks and are confident that you will receive your gift in a timely manner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes! Just pledge the amount for the number of cases as the pledge level of the gift you want to receive.
For example, if you want to order 5 cases for everyone on your team:
1. Select the $39 or $49 pledge levels for the early bird case.
2. Multiply by the number of cases that you want (e.g. 5 x $39 = $195) when you enter your pledge.
3. If you want combinations of cases, say 2 standard and 3 PU leather, just add up the total (2 x $39) + (3 x $49) = $225.
4. For international orders, add $10 shipping for each case.
You can also mix and match standard and custom FreedomCases -- just pledge the correct amount and we’ll make sure you get your order right during the fulfillment process!
If you have already pledged you can click the blue "Manage my pledge" button on the righthand side and adjust the total pledge amount.
It works with all Surface models released to date: Surface RT/2 and Surface Pro/Pro 2
There will be two models: one for the RT/2 and one for the Pro/Pro 2. After our campaign is over we will send you a survey where you will let us know which model you want.
The exterior is made of polyurethane (an extremely durable plastic). The interior impact panels are ABS plastic and cover the majority of the Surface when closed. The interior is a brushed microfiber suede so your Surface won’t be marred.
The PU leather option is made from the same material but has a nice leather look and feel to it.
Yes, you can use the case with our without the Surface keyboard covers. In addition, if you have a keyboard attached, you have the option of deploying the keyboard for use or folding it underneath into tablet mode -- something the folio style cases doesn’t allow you to do.
The kickstand is what allows the FreedomCase to be attached to the Surface. There is a slot on the interior that the kickstand goes into and stays secure the entire time. You can still use the kickstand positions even while the case is attached.
No. The magnets have been carefully placed so it won’t put your Surface to sleep (like when you fold up your keyboard cover) and, since the Surface’s storage is an SSD (solid state device) it won’t affect your files or storage.
The stylus holder is a strong elastic loop placed right next to the charging port of the Surface. The elastic will be able to accommodate most, if not all, of the available aftermarket styli/styluses.
It comes in at a mere 10 ounces (283g). So light.
Less than 3 mm thick (0.11 inches). Much thin.
We can’t offer a case until the Power Cover is released. However, if the Power Cover is made available during the Kickstarter (and you plan on buying one), you will be able to select it as an option when we send you your backer survey, and receive a Power Cover compatible FreedomCase instead.
Otherwise, Power Cover compatible cases will be available for presale after the Kickstarter campaign has wrapped up.
Yes! The stylus holder is elastic, so it will stretch to accommodate and grip a wide range of stylus thicknesses.
No way! Our unique design relieves any undue pressure on the kickstand by allowing the FreedomCase to flex whenever needed via an additional small panel above the kickstand sleeve.
The FreedomCase uses rare earth magnets that will lose about 1% of their strength every 10 years. This means that, over the average human lifespan, FreedomCase magnets will lose less than 10% of their strength. You’ll be able to pass on a fully functional FreedomCase to your grandchildren…
No! The FreedomCase’s unique folding design does not block the camera and keeps your Surface fully ventilated while in upright positions. When the Surface is tilted at lower angles, simply fold the case down with one hand to take a picture with the camera
Your Surface will be very secure inside the FreedomCase. Equipping the FreedomCase’s clasp with powerful rare-earth magnets ensures that the case only opens when you want it to. We have extensively tested to make sure that your Surface will not fall out if dropped.
For our US backers, you will receive your case 5-10 business days after the case is received in our US warehouses in April. Standard shipping for our international backers will take up to 25 extra days once your case arrives in our warehouse. We will offer expedited international shipping (6-10 days) at extra cost after the campaign concludes, if you want to receive your FreedomCase sooner.
I am an international supporter and am unable to set up an Amazon Payments account. How do I order a FreedomCase?
We will do our best to set up a pre-order for international supporters towards the end of the Kickstarter campaign if our funding goals are met. Our goal will be to ship your separately pre-ordered FreedomCase with the first shipment of Kickstarter cases, so you will still be one of the first to own one.
Support this project
- (30 days)