The Makers Chest is a dynamic storage system for LEGO® bricks and toys. It cleans up the mess and helps reinforce organizational habits, teaching kids that, if everything has a place, it takes less time to find that perfect part.
The entire product is built in Wadsworth Ohio using a CNC router and UV flatbed printer. It features unique and beautiful voxel graphics printed directly to the wood that excites kids and helps close the gap between digital and real world creativity. It is constructed of the highest quality UV coated plywood and is built to last for generations. A Maker's Chest by Larscraft is fine furniture designed to take abuse and is an heirloom piece for any family. Toys get passed down to the next generation, and the Makers Chest will be there to keep those toys safe for your children's children.
NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL MINECRAFT PRODUCT. NOT APPROVED BY OR ASSOCIATED WITH MOJANG.
Here's a quick overview of the pledge levels, but be sure to read on for more information on the features and background to how this product came to life.
Larscraft is a company conceptualized by eight year old entrepreneur Lars Gerding. Lars had an idea for an inventory system for his Legos, which he sketched out and wanted to build. The company was founded in 2015 based on Lars' idea. Lars and Christopher worked together using their combined creativity and engineering skills to develop the chest and kickstart the company.
- Six removable trays with protective UV coating that allows parts to slide around easily. Each tray slides out from the chest and has two removable dividers for up to three rows of separation.
- Dimensions are 18" x 18" x 36" (455mm x 455mm x 910mm), meaning it can hold A LOT of bricks or toys.
- Two 100 Newton gas lifters allow the chest to open with ease and keep the lid from falling down during play time. Don't worry, it's still easy for a child to close the lid, but is impossible to slam down thanks to the innovate design.
Video: Lars demonstrating the magnetic latch and gas lifters at a local home and garden show.
- A unique magnetic latch that holds the lid in place when closed. Simply rotate the latch, and a "click" sounds as magnets disengage and allow the lid to open. Kids love it.
- Large build platform is strategically placed under the lid for children to play with their creations. Finally, a place to set those prized builds and keep them safe from little sister's destructive Godzilla hands, and keep them off the floor where parents step on them with bare feet. Anyone who has stepped on a Lego brick barefoot knows this is a big deal.
- Simply gorgeous Garneka birch is high quality wood; you won't find this plywood in you local home improvement store. Larscraft wood is voidless on all edges, which means the core is beautiful and longer lasting than imported materials. It's harder to machine because of the material density, but the result is worth the extra effort. There is a UV clear coat on the inside faces. This makes it easy to clean and protects the surface from spills and hand oils.
- Parts are hand selected and printed. Prints are handled and assembled individually and with great care, resulting in an incredible build with stunning art that still shows the woodgrain. This is a time intensive and expensive process but we believe the result speaks for itself. Simply beautiful, durable, fine furniture.
Video: Lars sorting printed parts for the original prototype. Notice that back then he was a good boy and let us get his hair cut!
- Tongue and groove assembly. All walls are precision machined with slots that eliminate errors in assembly and make for a stronger build. All panels are press fit to ensure that every part is in the exact place, then glued and screwed. We take the extra time and steps to make the cabinet strong, and build it with pride right here in the USA.
- Cabinet edges are protected with commercial grade T-molding that outlasts all other edge treatments. It is far superior to edge banding and its curved surface offers comfort and cushioning during use. T-molding is expensive and labor intensive to install, but we believe the results are key to having a functional children's chest that will last for generations.
- Optional figure showcase holds 132 Lego-compatible mini-figures. The showcase can be installed on the wall or the underside of the Makers Chest lid. The figures do not fall when the lid is closed thanks to the optional Lego-compatible bricks in each compartment (Lego figures not included).
Since its early conception, Larscraft has grown into something greater than itself. As a company, Larscraft is grounded on a strong foundation of high ideals. At Larscraft, we believe that all small things are capable of achieving greatness if provided the right tools and encouragement. We want to show the children of the world that engineering can be fun and interesting. We want children to be unafraid to explore their potentials, whatever they may be.
Everything that is done at Larscraft is a reflection of our core values, namely mentorship, creativity, education, the promotion of STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) subjects, and fun. Larscraft encourages children and their mentors to explore, create, learn, and grow. By doing so we believe the children of the next generation will be well equipped to deal with the issues posed against the world of tomorrow.
In addition to toy chests and relevant accessories, Larscraft aims to uphold its values by holding events in the Northeast Ohio community that encourage children to explore, build, and create. Through the facilitation of these events we hope that children will come to see themselves as young makers.
This company was founded because an eight year-old had an idea that he wanted to make a reality. This dream was realized through mentorship, creativity, education, the promotion of STEM subjects, and fun. We hope to be a driving force for the dreams of many children in the future. Larscraft is the embodiment of a dream come to life. We hope to set an example for all the little dreamers out there.
Video: Lars operating the UV flatbed printer to print his artwork to the surface of the birch material. Please note how the beautiful woodgrain still shows through.
Please review our pledge levels and thanks for looking! Please tell your friends!
"LEGO®is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this product".
Risks and challenges
We know everything involved in making this product and I am confident we will be able to deliver in the promised timelines. We are controlling the production by limiting the number of units available just to ensure no backer is disappointed.
We have access to the CNC machines and production space required to do this work through our family business. Please understand that my son and I are doing this as a project together. As a father I simply will not allow a successfully funded campaign based on his ideas not deliver fully to its promises (unless I get hit by a bus). So the only way there is going to be a delay is if dad gets hit by a bus. Good news, we live in the country and there are no buses.
I just read this to my wife and she says if I get hit by a bus she will make sure we deliver.
- (30 days)