Do you love being scared? Do twist endings stay with you for days? Is Halloween your favorite holiday? When people say, "Stop wearing black" you say "I will when they make a darker color?"
Then do I have the book for you.
"Cellar Door" is a scifi and horror graphic novel anthology for mature readers. Some stories will creep you out; some have twists to make your head explode; and some may even make you laugh. But mostly? It'll just scare the hell out of you. Featuring:
- 140 page hardcover with matte finish
- 15 tales of terror in the vain of H.P. Lovecraft and "The Twilight Zone"
- From over a dozen new and veteran comics creators
I could tell you how beautiful the art is, how twisted some of these stories are, or how talented the creators are. Or - you could just see for yourself.
That's almost 1/4 of the graphic novel, yours to try for nothing - that's how confident I am you'll freaking love it.
In "Cellar Door", an author retreats to a secluded manor to overcome his writer's block. There he meets a hungry reader literally foaming at the mouth for his work. What follows are 15 stories the author must "feed" to his reader to keep himself alive.
- A man travels back in time to murder his father and gets caught in a mind-blowing loop in "The Oedipus Paradox";
- A group of travelers search for eternal life in an abandoned cathedral only to find certain death in the form of "The Clockwork Man";
- Three teens in search of a good scare unearth the legend of "Digger's Grove";
- ...and many more grisly tales.
Some stories are a love letter to 80s slashers. Others are a homage to the old "Creepy" or "House of Secrets" comics. Still others boast twists from "The Outer Limits" or "The Twilight Zone." The result is a masterpiece of the macabre in a horrifyingly handsome hardcover that you'll be thrilled to share with all of your friends.
"Cellar Door" grew from the Chimera's Comics Community. Chimera's Comics started as a chain of brick-and-mortar comic book stores in the southwest suburbs of Chicago in 2011. But with the launch of our first successful Kickstarter for the original graphic novel "Magnificent", Chimera's Comics has turned into a growing small press comic book publisher with a Community of thousands across the nation.
Each of the artists and writers in "Cellar Door" are a part of that Community, brought together by our love of the macabre, our fascination with things that go bump in the night. Some of these creators have dozens of credits including work for publishers at Marvel and Moonstone. Others are first time creators - and you'll be the first to discover their terrifying talents!
"Magnificent" was my baby - but this one can be yours. Because not only are we asking our Community to fund this project, but this time our Community literally created this project. Featuring the talents of:
Look, sometimes we love horror just because we love feeling our skin crawl. We love how our hearts pump when adrenaline races through our veins. BUT, sometimes, we want horror to show us the side of ourselves we're afraid to look at. We want to finish a book and be so stunned that we have to sit in silence...and make sure the lights are on.
This book gets HEAVY. Murder, slavery, memory manipulation, cults, time travel...this stuff isn't for everyone. But if it's for you, then you need this book!
You should back "Cellar Door" because:
1) The artwork is amazing, with some of the most gorgeous pages you've ever seen in a horror comic - guaranteed.
2) The finished hardcover will be a mammoth monolith, and it's going to make you look awesome when your friends come over and ask, "What's that?"
3) You'll get original material from veteran comics creators
4) You'll be the first to read brand new work from up and coming comic creators before they get TV deals and end up on "E True Hollywood Stories"
5) 14 different stories to fright and excite you, featuring everything from classic horror comics to 80s slashers to X-Files and everything in between.
You should NOT back "Cellar Door" if:
1) You're squeamish about blood and guts
2) Twist endings make your head hurt
3) You're already afraid of the dark
4) You get nightmares from tame stuff like "Scooby Doo" and "Goosebumps"
5) You're looking for something to read your kids at bed time
An Add-On is an extra item you can add to your existing reward. Think of it like McDonald's - this is how you "have it your way."
I made a video with the short version for your convenience to walk you through it:
You are the key that opens the Cellar Door.
If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does it make a sound? In the same way, how can a story fulfill its purpose without a reader? That's why we need YOU. Funny coincidence, that's what one of the stories is about - a writer who finds his life literally depends on a hungry reader.
I'll put it bluntly: we have 14 awesome, terrifying stories that will at least scare the hell out of you and might even make you look at the world a little differently. These stories rock, and you deserve to read them in the best and most beautiful format possible.
That's why we need you. YOU are the final collaborator. We made this for you - and it's nothing without someone like you who can enjoy it.
On behalf of everyone on the "Cellar Door" team, thank you so much for taking the time to check out our project. We're all proud of our stories, but also each other's stories. And we're so thrilled to share them with you. We know we couldn't do this without you.
If you want to know more, check out a glimpse into each of the "Cellar Door" stories below. We're so confident this book is going to be a classic that I want you to see exactly what awaits.
Or, if you'd rather be surprised - just stop reading now and pledge today!
Risks and challenges
To limit the risks, we have completely finished Cellar Door before launching this campaign. As a condition for inclusion, all of the creators have already turned in their completed stories. Our last two Kickstarter campaigns, while successful, have both shipped late and we want to earn your trust back by promising a project we're already ready to deliver.
There are risks associated with offset printing overseas, including weather or labor related issues that could result in delays. Further, as we still do our own fulfillment we could experience delays there. We have cut down on those risks by teaming with trusted printing and fulfillment partners at our own expense whose experience will provide us with the tools to finish and deliver on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)