About this project
Announcing a LEGENDARY Western-themed 1:18th Scale Toy Line Kickstarter© campaign!
(Click on the link below for music to put you in the mood while reading!)
*Project Update!*The "All-IN!" package as been expanded! It now guarantees 10 unique figures as well as all the other loot already promised for this reward level. See project updates for the new information!
Dallas/Forth Worth -- When searching for highly articulated action figures in 1:18th scale, aisle 3C is looking like a modern ghost town these days. Therefore it's no surprise that a number of small upstart companies are striving to fill the gap for collectors of this action figure scale.
To this end, Chicken Fried Toys© (CFT) is proud to introduce their Dime Novel Legends© (DNL), their first-ever lineup of 3.75-inch, fully articulated, collectible action figures that bring back the essence of the American Frontier West. These 15 realistic reproductions of iconic Western archetypes feature authentic styling and looks, and include numerous accessories and gear that historically reflect the period between 1835 and 1895.
The Dime Novel Legends© lineup will encompass characters drawn from the rich history of Frontier America during its expansion westward. While easily identifiable, these characters do not represent any single person from history, film or literature. Rather, they are an amalgamation taken from the collective imaginations of enthusiasts who have long dreamed of accumulating an entire Western community of cowboys, townsfolk, lawmen, bandits, and Native Americans from an often ignored and nigh-forgotten part of America's unique and rich history.
Chicken Fried Toys© will introduce these iconic action figures intended for the adult collector featuring 16 points of articulation. Kickstarter© pledge rewards and Wave 1 will include:
- Kicken' Chicken Logo Sticker - A simple, but full color vinyl pre-cut sticker to slap anywhere you want of our soon to be famous mascot. Tell 'em you were diggin' the Chicken' before it was cool!
- Bucket O' Spuds! - Brian Kauffman's "Bucket O' Spuds". Blame him for this. You get a pail/bucket suitable for diorama display and play, along with 5 extra potatoes to fill up the bucket for the poor KP Trooper stuck on that duty.
- Raid the Armory Weapon Pack - This set of all 7 regular color versions of series 1 firearms is intended to allow you to change the load-out on each of your Garrion KP Troopers in the 3 pack offering while keeping all the colors uniform for standard issue.
- Most Wanted Portrait 5 pk - For your pledge at this reward level you will be able to select a pre-painted 5 pack of heads in colors that aren't available on any of the regular figures. These heads will allow you to customize our basic characters to your liking, and our Buck-A-Roos© blanks.
- T-shirt and Sticker - You'll receive as your reward for a pledge at the "Shirt off our backs" level, an actual t-shirt, as well as the Kicken' Chicken' vinyl decal! Sizes will be collected via Backerkit© survey for the ROYAL BLUE exclusive shirt at the end of the successful campaign. No BORING black t-shirts here!
- The Marshal - (Wyatt level pledge reward) Clad in black, with his long coat pulled back over his working holster to show ruffians that he means business, this icon comes with a "Hogleg" pistol, "Street Howitzer" long gun, and removable hat and jacket.
- Territories Lawman - (Bass level pledge reward) Before the regions of the American West became states, they were territories under the jurisdiction of the Federal government. This storied African-American lawman comes with dual holsters and pistols, bandana, removable vest and hat. All this makes him the true definition of a Legend!
- Trail Boss - (Gus level pledge reward) Wearing chaps and a broad-brimmed hat, this honcho of the trail drive has all the trappings of a seasoned leader. If his stern look doesn't command the respect he's earned, he has a lever-action "Saddle" rifle and removable "Outlaw" pistol to back it up.
- Saloon Bartender - (Regent level pledge reward) No image of the classic Western town is complete without a bartender or shopkeeper. Likely the only person who can afford both moustache wax AND hair cream, often neutral in fights and always the center of information, this smiling gentleman with the apron is quick with a mug of refreshment, and a turn on the pickle/beer barrel.
- Ranch Hand - (Lil' Tex level pledge reward) No cattle drive is complete without the ubiquitous trail hand. His look is highlighted with tall Cavalry style boots, removable vest and gun belt, and "Carbine" rifle. His hat, surely bought fresh from the General Store with pay from working the latest cattle drive, tops his clean-cut look.
- Badlands Vigilante - This figure is exclusive to the "All-In!" Kickstarter© package. He has a unique portrait sculpt, removable "10-gallon" hat, bandana, suit-coat, gun belt with holster, uniquely painted lever-action "Saddle" rifle, and a shining silver six-gun.
This item is only available in the "All-IN!" Kickstarter© package!
- Garrison "KP" Trooper - This is an "open to everyone" Kickstarter© exclusive figure! He's exclusive, he's a trooper, and he's an Army builder all at once! The figure comes as you see here with "Carbine" rifle, "Outlaw" pistol, spuds, knife for peeling and a bucket. More parts than any other figure in the lineup!
- You can add this figure (with his 4 newly tooled parts) to your pre-existing pledge for at any time!
- This exclusive cardinal red t-shirt will be bundled with the "All-IN!" package! Sizes will be collected via Backerkit© survey upon the successful completion of the campaign.
- Garrison "KP" Trooper Sqaud 3 Pack - Here is the Kickstarter© exclusive Garrison KP Trooper 3 pack. Each of these figures come as you see here but will also include the "Carbine" rifle, "Outlaw" pistol, spuds, knife for peeling and a bucket for each character. More parts that any other figures in the lineup!
- You can add this figure 3 pack to your pre-existing pledge for $80 at any time!
- Sharpshooter - Wearing a period-correct bib-front shirt, this misplaced Texan sports a removable bandana, Texas-sized hat, cartridge belt with working knife and sheathe, saddlebags, and a legendary "Buffalo" rifle with upright rear sight.
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $165,000!
- Cowpuncher (Create Your Own Cowboy)- Not just the name, but the color palette for the Stagecoach pack-in will be chosen by the "All-In!" Kickstarter© pledges on our Facebook© page. This classically styled cowboy has chaps, unique hat, removable vest and all the right gear to complete your cattle drive!
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $205,000!
- Beer Barrel & Three Mugs - What you see here is what you are getting. Included is an extra beer barrel with stand and flip top lid ("beer" on one side and "pickles" on the other), and three clear mugs with transparent yellow & white foam inserts for diorama display.
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $215,000!
- Man in Black (Create Yer' Own Outlaw) - Clad in signature black and sporting a surly look, this villain will be named by Kickstarter© participants in a poll run during the campaign on our Facebook© page. He will sport a long coat, Cavalry boots, double holsters for his gun belt and two pitch-black pistols to fill 'em.
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $225,000!
Vaquero - This everyday inhabitant of the Texas Southwest has a wide-brimmed hat to keep the desert sun off his shoulders, along with chaps, gun belt, pistol and Spanish silver spurs. Dressed up brightly in his best for the celebratory rodeo at the end of a long cattle drive, he cuts quite a colorful character.
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $265,000!
- The Sheriff - Dressed like a "dandy" with a Derby and suit-coat, this lawman carries a cane, not so much for walking, but rather to give a sophisticated air to any cattle or mining camp he has been charged to protect.
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $275,000!
- Prospector - These men were some of the first brave souls to cross the Plains in search of riches and fortune, while "seein' it all." This old codger comes with an iconic hat and all the tools to hit the motherlode, including a pick-axe, gold pan, and "Street Howitzer" shotgun.
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $315,000!
- Fire Brigadier - When every town is made of either wood or canvas, a firefighter or two becomes an essential part of the landscape. This member of the Old West Fire Brigade comes with a Victorian-era fire helmet, bright red shirt, Halligan tool, fire axe and suspenders!
This stretch goal reward unlocks at 325,000!
- Gunfighter - The gang member with the cool temper and lightning quick six-guns is dressed in a vest and long sleeve shirt styled of the day. He has a removable hat, gun belt, twin holsters and pistols to fill 'em.
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $365,000!
- Head Honcho - Every gang has its ringleader; a rough and tumble, but quick-witted character who is not to be trifled with on any occasion. He wears a removable vest, gun belt, tabbed collar, and jaunty Derby.
This stretch goal reward unlocks at $375,000!
Also included in the Kickstarter© campaign, will be additional items that will allow you to easily customize and tailor the appearance of each character to you personal tastes. Each of these items will be stretch goals that will unlock over the course of the campaign:
Boot Hill Loot
Some of these items are currently locked
⦁ Gear Sets ($10 ea) - Five sets (5 pcs per set) comprised of different firearms, weapons, and gun belts in colors not available on any other figure during this initial offering.
⦁ Accessory Sets ($11 ea) - Five sets (5 pcs per set) of jackets, vests, hats and bandanas in colors not available on any other figure during this initial offering.
Check back for color and parts reveals for these sets as the campaign rolls forward!
These items are currently locked
($15 ea) Five "blank" figures each comprised of a single color shirt and sleeves, and different single color britches with complementary colored boots. These colors will not be available on any other figure in the initial offering. Skin tones will vary from figure to figure for variety.
Check back for more colors and figure build reveals as the campaign rolls forward!
Unlock Levels for all Stretch Goals:
Each item will unlock at the financial tier shown with it for single item purchase and inclusion in the "ALL-IN!" package.
- Boot Hill Loot Gear Set - $135,000
- Boot Hill Loot Accs Set - $145,000
- Buck-A-Roos blank - $155,000
- Sharpshooter - $165,000
- Boot Hill Loot Gear Set - $175,000
- Boot Hill Loot Accs Set - $185,000
- Buck-A-Roos blank - $195,000
- Cowpuncher (Create Your Own Cowboy)- $205,000
- Beer Barrel & Mugs Set - $215,000
- Man in Black (Create Your Own Outlaw)- $225,000
- Boot Hill Loot Gear Set - $235,000
- Boot Hill Loot Accs Set - $245,000
- Buck-A-Roos blank - $255,000
- Vaquero - $265,000
- Sheriff- $275,000
- Boot Hill Loot Gear Set - $285,000
- Boot Hill Loot Accs Set - $295,000
- Buck-A-Roos blank - $305,000
- Prospector - $315,000
- Fire Brigadier- $325,000
- Boot Hill Loot Gear Set - $335,000
- Boot Hill Loot Accs Set - $345,000
- Buck-A-Roos blank - $355,000
- Gunfighter- $365,000
- Head Honcho- $375,000
- Black & White "Boob Tube" 2 Pack - $394,000
- Sepia Tone "Picture Frame" 2 Pack - $412,000
- Stagecoach w/ 2 Horses (1 POA) w/ CYOC color variation - $435,000 (please be aware that this stretch goal only pays for the tooling associated with this goal and as such there will be the option to purchase this item for KS contributors at up to a 65% discount off retail if this pledge reward funds)
Work on Wave 2 is already underway and will include Plains Indian Tribes, smooth-talking gamblers, Cavalry troops, a school marm, and over a dozen more unique Western icons! Stay tuned for more details as work is completed and we proceed through the Kickstarter© campaign.
For more current and up to date information, click our Chicken Fried Toys© - Dime Novel Legends© Facebook© page:
Chicken Fried Toys© is Paul Mundheim, John Russell and Corey Stinson, lifelong action figure collecting enthusiasts. Working in partnership with legendary Boss Fight Studio© and Smalljoes.com©, CFT knows the unique mind of the 1:18th scale action figure collector like no other. Saddle up, and come along for the ride!
Bios and "Thank you!":
Paul Mundheim - As the son and grandson of a family with deep roots in the Texas and Oklahoma area, I grew up watching classic Western movies and serials. A great deal of time was whiled away on my grandfather's lap as he read me classic Western literature by Louis L'amour. I also spent many hours playing with Johnny West and all the other heroes from the Marx Best of the West lineup (except Fighting Eagle, darnit'!). My appreciation ran so deeply for the mythology, that even Star Wars was full of heroic space cowboys, rather than smuggler's, rebels and the authoritative Empire.
Many years later I find myself a 46 year old attorney, happily married for 20 years, with 2 children who fill me with pride. My youngest is a boy, now 8 years old, and he is more excited about this lineup than anyone else I know. Seeing this pattern play out once again from a different role, reminds me that the excitement never left me and I did not "grow out of it" as most of my childhood peers did. My love of history and the larger than life figures found there has helped lead us to this point. My sincere hope is that you will all join us for this ride!
John Russell - A lifelong fan of action figures of all scales, I have been focused on 3.75 inch (1:18 scale) figures since the late '70s and the introduction of Kenner's Star Wars toys. A fan of G.I. Joe, Johnny West and other 12 inch (1:6 scale) figures from the beginning, I immediately developed an affection (or affliction as Kristi might say) for G.I. Joe in their current sized format, both vintage and modern.
I have been a part of the fan community for over 15 years, and have worked with/hosted the customizing class for the Official G.I. Joe Collector's Convention off and on since 2007. This project is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream for me, as Western movies and television were the preferred form of entertainment in our household when my Dad (miss you!) was in charge of programming.
Corey Stinson (owner Smalljoes.com) - SMALLJOES.COM has a 15+ year business and personal interest in military and adventure 3.75" action figures.
SMALLJOES.COM, the best shopping source on the internet for GI JOE 3.75" and 1:18 scale military since 2001. SMALLJOES is proud to participate with Chicken Fried Toys in bringing the Dime Novel Legends action figure series to life!
A special and specific set of "THANK YOU!" notices need to go out to the following contributors:
Andrew Franks and our friends at Boss Fight Studio© for their hard work on the control art and early presentation art, as well as the valuable resources they have provided. Oh, and Catrina is pretty damn cool too!
Dennis Chan for his exceptional work doing the majority of the digital sculpting work. You can see his work at his website! Yer' a BOSS!
Jose Fernandez for his skill in sculpting many small parts, hats and other fill in pieces. Stetson is jealous of your hat skill! You can view more of his work in his portfolio!
Arlen Pelletier for the fantastic color renders of the 3D models. Check out his awesome PUMPKIN SCULPTURES and portfolio here!
David Drennan for his ceaseless fretting over the logo designs, card back design and composites. It's almost over buddy! You can reach him via email here: email@example.com
Kalen McKeand for his ideas and execution of the sculpt on the figure stand and beer bottles. Gigabread Digital Bakery is the place to be!
Joe Harris for his efforts working on the Western Town playset, our t-shirt rewards, and stickers! You can check out his other great custom work on his website!
Scott Andrews at Lightbeam3D© for his hard work getting us manufacturing quality 3D prints.
Kristi Froehlich for putting up with all this nonsense and fooferaw to begin with!
Risks and challenges
As with all Kickstarter© campaigns, there are risks. We have done our best to both minimize and anticipate these challenges by counseling with our friends at Boss Fight Studio© about the potential pitfalls and easily overlooked details when manufacturing overseas.
To that end, we are working with the same liaison and overseas contacts that have been utilized by Boss Fight Studio© and Marauder Task Force© in the production of their distinct and successful properties. We also plan to manufacture in the same factories that they have used, as these production facilities are already familiar with the process, detail and materials necessary to bring an action figure lineup of this scale to fruition with the highest quality possible.
Please be aware, that as with most campaigns for action figure lines, there may be production delays. This is common and not at all unexpected, so we have built in an extra 90 day window of time to allow for something of this nature. There will be weekly updates here on the campaign page to keep you informed directly throughout the process.
There are risks to be managed moving forward through full funding and production, and with your participation in our efforts to bring this 5 year long project to fulfillment, there will be success for all involved! We thank you for your interest in our project and willingness to join us on this adventure. Thanks for your support, and we hope y'all look forward to happy sunset filled days with our Dime Novel Legends©! - CFTLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (42 days)