Just my Type of Lettering: An Inspirational Guide to Hand Lettering by Chelsie Tamms
I've been asked countless times how exactly I make my hand-lettered artwork. This 40-page, full color book details my lettering tools, creative process, how to vectorize artwork, and much more! It even includes a variety of hand-lettered projects ranging from hand-lettered card designs to personalized product designs to poster designs as well as tips and resources for aspiring lettering artists.
This project began as a senior honors research project at Bradley University and developed into a comprehensive and inspirational guide to my creative process and lettering work. I have already designed and illustrated the entire book, now I am just looking for funding so I can print it at a local printer, which requires me to buy as many copies as I can upfront to get the best deal.
UPDATE: "Just My Type of Lettering" won a Gold Advertising Award and Best of Show* in the student category at the Peoria Ad Club's American Advertising Awards!
*"Best of Show" is awarded to the entry with the highest average point total of all submitted entries.
Budget breakdown (for $2,700 funding goal):
- Book printing (200 copies, high quality) = $1,750
- Prizes & Shipping = $400
- Kickstarter Fees (8-10%) = $250
- ISBN Number = $125
- Shipping costs (for books purchased after Kickstarter) = $150
- Commercial Paper Cutter (for card production) = $120
- Web hosting/domain name for Lettering Works website (2-year contract) = $120
- eCommerce Website Plugin (to enable sales after Kickstarter) = $50
- Greeting Card Display (x2) = $60
- T-shirts printing supplies = $100
Thanks to Alexander Martin for shooting the video and http://www.bensound.com for the music!
Risks and challenges
• Reaching the deadline because I will be dependent on printers to produce the book and want to ensure the highest quality printingLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)