Dire Hounds is a series of enamel pins based around one of my personal favorite flavors of western folklore: the Black Dog. Whether they're prowling dark and distant country roads, or the quiet paths of ancient cemeteries, whether they intend to harm or guide those who cross their paths, black dogs have mystified travelers and storytellers for generations. With such a wealth of material to draw on, I set out to capture six of the best known and most intriguing black dogs, so they can accompany you through your day and mystify your friends, neighbors, and passers-by--these pins probably won't guide you into the afterlife, but they also won't hunt you down in the dark of night!
- approximately 38mm (1.5") at their widest point
- nickel plated, hard enamel
- one backpost, with black rubber clutch
- packed with a custom backing card
FUNDED! -- Barghest, Yeth Hound, and Gwyllgi
Stretch Goal - UNLOCKED! -- Church Grim, and Mauthe Doog
Stretch Goal - UNLOCKED! -- Cŵn Annwn
Stretch Goal -- UNLOCKED! -- the Greedy One
Every reward tier will be upgraded with an additional, extra-large backer-exclusive pin!
Plan and Process:
- August 10 to September 9 - Kickstarter
- September 10 to 17 - Backer polls and final product count all backers will be contacted to confirm their pin choices, mailing address, etc.
- Late September - Production final order will be placed with the manufacturer, shipping supplies will be ordered in bulk, pins will be prepped and packaged immediately upon receipt
- Mid-October - Order fulfillment regular updates will be posted both here and on twitter (@charlieCdraws) until every order has been sent out!
- 70% of funds will go directly to manufacturing of the designs, ensuring the best and most consistent quality across the whole set as well as a timely turnaround on the order!
- 15% of funds will be allocated for packaging, mailers, and shipping expenses
- 10% of funds will cover fees for the services of Kickstarter and PayPal
- the remaining 5% will cover any unplanned expenses, as well as providing extra gifts and goodies for backers!
Risks and challenges
This is my first kickstarter and my first venture into merchandising. I have researched the process thoroughly, and consulted with multiple manufacturers and other creators, and have selected a manufacturer I'm confident will provide the best and most reliable production process.
- The artwork has been created with an eye for manufacturing from the beginning, but there is still potential for small design alterations during the manufacturing process. Backers will be alerted if any significant changes are made to the designs.
- While I have chosen a manufacturer with a solid history and excellent reputation, there is always a slight risk of shipping delays, manufacturing errors, etc. I will provide regular updates throughout the process and alert backers of any complications.
- (30 days)