About this project
whim·sy noun \ˈhwim-zē, ˈwim-\
plural whimsies also whimseys
1: whim, caprice
2: the quality or state of being whimsical or fanciful
3: a fanciful or fantastic device, object, or creation especially in writing or art
My name is Chandni. When I started Whimsy by Chan my intention was to combine intricate indian beadwork into modern, westernized silhouettes. I created one of a kind, hand beaded corsets, leggings, blouses and skirts. From my travels to India, I discovered the wood block printing process and fell in love with the idea of using that ancient printing technique and combining it with modern designs. I'm excited and anxious to resettle into home goods. Interior design has always been a passion of mine and finding a niche and opportunity to combine my love for design and India's textile arts with unique patterns is a dream come true.
WHAT COLORS, SIZES AND PATTERNS WILL THE SHEETS BE OFFERED IN?
The wonderful thing about wood block printing is the possibilities are endless when it comes to color and patterns. I've researched thousands of designs from hundreds of textile designers and dwindled down my favorites to about 30 patterns. As the seasons change, so will the designs. As mentioned below, a portion of the funding will go to paying the textiles designers for their designs. Once I can pay them for the exclusives, I will have my friends, family and backers vote for their favorite patterns.
The bedsheets will be offered in Full and Queen. It is a possibility for custom twin and king sizes to be ordered in the future.
In order to use minimal synthetic dyes and colors I've decided to offer the sheets in neutral shades ranging from white to cool grey tones. These colors offer the perfect neutral backdrop for the patterns and colors to be printed on them.
There are many themes and stories through out the designs-- from mermaids to bunnies and intricate florals. Below are some examples of some of the designs I've chosen to move onto the final round of selections.
WHERE ARE THE FUNDS GOING?
- Fabric Organic Cotton Jersey isn't necessarily the most affordable option but using a sustainable, eco-friendly fabric is important to my cause. Due to the length of fabric needed to make bedsheets, the cost per yard can reach upwards of $15/yard. more funds = more fabric = less costs = higher yield
- Manufacturing After the fabric is printed, they need to be sewn! My ultimate goal is to have these sheets manufactured in the U.S. of A. After all, I want to support India's textile arts but I also want to support local manufacturing, Due to outsourcing, manufacturing costs in the states have sky rocketed. In order to keep costs low a minimum needs to be met. Which means more funds = more fabric = less costs = higher yield
- Textile Designers I don't believe in stealing from artists. Textile designers are important to my process and aesthetic. Without their design skills, my vision for the bedsheets would never have been completed.
- Block Printing Gotta pay the real talent in this story.
- Travel Last but certainly not least, traveling to India, overseeing the printing process and building a relationship with the artisans is important for the first run.
WHIMSYBYCHAN THE CLOTHING LINE
I thoroughly enjoyed the apparel design and manufacturing process and absorbed so much knowledge and understanding along the way. If it weren't for my travels to India for beadwork, I would have never stumbled upon the block printing process. Designing will always be my passion and I'm grateful to have the freedom to relocate from apparel to home goods.
Risks and challenges
All projects could have the potential of numerous challenges.
Quality and production delays are the the main challenges with manufacturing.
I have a couple of manufacturers set up to sew the bedsheets, one of which I've worked with my clothing line, right here in the garment district of N.Y.C. I want to keep the manufacturing as local as possible in order to ensure quality control. I've built an excellent professional relationship with the factory and communication is easy and effective if challenges do arise.
Furthermore, I will be traveling to India to oversee the printing process and ensure quality and timely production from the company. Building a relationship with the artisans and factory will help to ensure quality work.
My goal is to deliver quality, sustainable, fun, comfy, whimsical bedsheets with a story and there isn't much that could stop me.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (35 days)