About this project
Update: Special note for our backers who can't use the credit card or have any problems with paying for their reward on Kickstarter, you can now transfer the chosen amount of money for your reward directly to our bank account and we will do the donation for you on kickstarter ( so that it contributes). Your reward is guaranteed.
The bank details:
Account name – Challenge Records International B.V.
Account number – 3159.90.007
IBAN No. NL95 RABO 0315 99 0007
BIC/SWIFTcode – RABONL2U
Bank address: Kerkplein 9, Soest, The Netherlands
Description payment – Kickstarter Project
“Energetic and adventurous modern jazz cooperative”
The USA jazz star Greg Osby and noted Dutch saxophonist Tineke Postma both alt and soprano saxophone players join forces to create a gem album featuring their own compositions. In this album Osby’s modern energetic, electric and acoustics conceptual music meets the melodic European influences of Tineke. The line-up is spiced with modern jazz and Indian rhythms of the drummer Dan Weiss, improvisation master pianist Matt Mitchell and a young bass virtuoso Linda Oh. The union of minds, concepts and visions on this CD guarantees to yield stellar results.
Walking new roads is a key for the self-development, believes Tineke. This album is a next step in her music career showing her new sides and passions. After the last 10 years of the intensive work in the international jazz scene it is only logical to release an album with her once-upon-a-time mentor legendary Greg Osby featuring some of the best international jazz musicians.
What makes this album special:
This project works with surprising contrasts although all the musicians on this album are all one family of creators:
- There will be many features with two altos and two sopranos. A recording with two soprano saxophones has almost never been done; it’s pretty uncommon.
- Intriguing mix of the male/female ingredients from Greg and Tineke. Times have changed, jazz is not anymore a male dominated music style.
- Greg was Tineke’s mentor once, now Greg admits they are peers and he has a lot to learn from her.
- It is a multicultural project uniting the greatest young musicians from the NYC scene, the Netherlands and Australia. Every musician in this group with his/her cultural background will have an equal input. It's a true cultural exchange in knowledge, approaches and concepts.
- This is the first album of Tineke in the last 3 years and for the first time she records as a co-leader (with Greg Osby)
- You will hear the new musical developments of Tineke influenced by her long stays in NYC and performances with great artists of the USA jazz scene.
- This CD will contain hip, modern, groovy music
- This group is visually very interesting on stage. Tineke’s great energy with Greg’s amazing appearance and genius musical playing will be striking and show that the unapproachable, distant and aloof "jazz" image is a thing of the past.
Tineke about herself and how she met Greg:
"I met Greg Osby for the first time in 2007 during a tour in Mexico where we both played at a jazz festival. I knew Greg before this meeting from a beautiful recording he did with guitarist Jim Hall.
Greg Osby is an amazing saxophonist, composer, producer, record label executive and educator who has made an indelible mark on contemporary jazz as a leader of his own ensembles and as a guest artist with other acclaimed jazz groups for the past 20 years. He is a veteran of the international music scene.
I was a big fan of his music and his creative mind always inspired me. After we met in Mexico we did some jam sessions and Greg gave me lessons in NYC. For me this has been a dramatic change in my musical perception and development.
From the age of 11, listening at home to my parents’ jazz and classical music collection, I have always been captured by great melodies, no matter jazz, classical music or pop. I studied in Amsterdam and New York at the conservatories. I started to record my first CDs around the age of 24 and have released 5 CDs since then. I have won a couple of great awards such as the Edison Award 2011 (the Dutch prototype of the Grammy Awards) with my last album The Dawn Of Light. I was also listed #5 on the Downbeat “Rising Star” saxophone poll of august 2013.
I was blessed to work with legendary drummer Terri Lyne Carrington for the past 10 years. The last project of Terri Lyne is the Mosaic Project which won a Grammy Award. I also worked a lot with my own quartet. I have always travelled back and forth between Amsterdam and NYC and toured all over the world. I have performed with great artists such as Esperanza Spalding, Wayne Shorter, Geri Allen, Lizz Wright and others. I have performed on the stages of Carnegie Hall, Kennedy Center, Tokyo Jazz Fest, and many more. I feel very blessed and thankful for being able to do and keep doing what I am doing."
Tineke and Greg's message on this CD:
Following your passion, your heart and trying to renew yourself is the inspiration of this CD.
We want to create new music, fresh conceptual music with young musicians and show that jazz is most certainly alive and accessible.
We also want to be an ambassador for new collaborations. Borders don’t exist anymore. And we also want to show that interesting jazz is not only coming from NYC, but also from Europe.
Taking risks is very important in life and in music. Challenging yourself, walking new roads will keep a person growing; that’s exactly what we are doing here on this album. Knowing each other (the musicians of the line-up on the CD) from the scene, but haven’t played much together yet, starting this project from scratch will bring many surprises and unexpected, exciting music. This will hopefully create beautiful and intense melodies, all kinds of colors and hip grooves. Tineke says, she always tries to play from her heart, so she hopes to reach the hearts of many people and let them feel what she feels. This new project is a dream coming true for her and it would mean a lot to her and Greg to see it successful!
How you can become part of this album:
1. Back this project! Step by step explanation: Choose one of the rewards you like on the right side of this page by clicking on it. Then click “Continue to the next step”. You can then fill in the details of your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) and finally hit “Pledge”.
2. Share this page on your social media or via email. Every help counts, thank you very much for your support! The collected funds for this record will go solely on the production of the album (studio costs, mastering, mixing, printing the CDs, etc).
The recording will take place in NYC. In case of overfunding the additional £ 5 000 will make possible the release of this alum on Vinyl.
Special bonus: Each of the stunning rewards we prepared includes the immediate download of the Challenge Records compilation. This is a bonus for you while you will be waiting for the recording to be accomplished. This nice reward is prepared by the noted Dutch label that represents Tineke Postma. This compilation includes some of the best recent jazz releases on Challenge Records. Enjoy!
Risks and challenges
Illness, severe weather, a loud helicopter over the recording venue, etc. Should any of these issues arise, it would only delay the project, not cancel it. We're determined to see the project through!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)