About this project
Veterans need a path to navigate a world where technology is disrupting everything. They also need a challenge big enough and worthy enough of our experiences.
Rebuilding America is that challenge.
I'm Chad Grills, an Army Infantry Veteran, Author, and Entrepreneur. I deployed to Iraq from 2007-2008, and again to Egypt from 2011-2012. I've provided security for the 56th Presidential Inauguration, and been a part of the military’s 2011-2014 Defining Moments advertising campaign.
In the US, we have a skyrocketing National debt, and a country being run by inept politicians. If America is going to survive and thrive - we need a new generation of entrepreneurs and leaders. It's my firm belief that they are waiting to emerge from the ranks of our Veterans.
That's why I'm launching this Kickstarter. With your help, I'll be able to turn my book: Veterans: Don’t Reintegrate, Rebuild America into a reality, and get it in the hands of Veterans everywhere this November.
The harsh realities that aren't being dealt with:
- 22 Veterans are committing suicide each day
- Veteran homelessness
- Veteran unemployment and underemployment
- Substance abuse
Relationships broken from the stress of deployments
Plus, the recent events at the VA only scratch the surface of how our Veterans are treated.
What many people might not know is that when Veterans come home, we're given outdated information and asked to quietly "reintegrate."
Psychologists have shown us that those who experienced extreme hardships or trauma hold a master key to personal achievement. These individuals are perfectly suited to turn their experiences into Post Traumatic Growth. But, those individuals must be made aware of this possibility, and given a strategic path to capitalize on this opportunity.
I'm tackling all those issues in the book.
Veterans: Don’t Reintegrate, Rebuild America will be a strategic guide for Vets who want to dominate life, and use their experiences to their advantage.
Below is an overview of each section I'm working on for the book. Each idea, case study, or concept is presented in the form of a story.
Table of contents for the book:
- Intro: My own story.
- The truth about PTS- drop the "d" it's not a disorder.
- The alternative: post traumatic growth (PTG)
- Reintegration is not a goal worthy of our experiences.
- The Foundation: PRSE
- Personal Health: The foundation that actually matters and how to create it.
- Relationships: Rebuilding and rekindling relationships with actual strategies that work (I've used them and learned the hard way).
- Skills: College isn't always the answer when trying to land an amazing job. I will lay out some of the quickest paths possible to gaining skills that will ensure Veterans will always have a job.
- Entrepreneurship: Everyone must become more entrepreneurial in a globally connected world where competition is fierce. It doesn't always mean starting a business; becoming entrepreneurial is about creating value and protecting our livelihoods.
- Harnessing Anger and Depression: My own struggles with depression, or what great entrepreneurs simply refer to as, “our advantage."
- An Ancient View On Suicide (REAL suicide prevention): from the ancient Stoics to modern day leaders.
- Modern Stoicism: The mental operating system for an amazing life, created by: soldiers, scholars, and entrepreneurs.
- Becoming Antifragile: Inspired by Nassim Taleb’s Incerto.
- Reinvention Over Reintegration: Stories of other veterans who have found personal growth, who chose reinvention over reintegration. This includes: CEO’s, entrepreneurs, politicians, and business leaders.
- Case Studies And The Latest Treatments For PTS (No need for the "disorder" part): The latest, best, and most innovative clinical treatments (and cures) for PTS from top medical doctors and psychiatrists.
- Case Studies, From PTS to PTG: Success stories on turning PTS into Post Traumatic Growth.
- Health: A look at my own experiments and results from going without alcohol, sugar, or gluten.
- Meditation: I’ve gone from brushing off this practice as stupid- to being humbled by the incredible results.
- Sleep Hacking: My own tests, and reclaiming REM sleep for better functioning all around.
- The Yoga Test: Pursuing the practice from after Iraq to restarting it today.
- The Happy Marriage or Relationship: Lessons learned from my failed relationship during and after my deployment to Iraq. Plus, the good kind of lessons learned from building a healthy and happy marriage during and after my second deployment.
- Rebuilding America: The American economy has taken a hit, but it’s ready to resurge. This is about the trends and industries that are growing, and how Vets can break into them. This includes guides to break into fields like technology, energy, politics, as well as starting a business.
Bonus Guides: I’ve also been compiling some strategic step-by step tactical guides on these subjects:
- Finding Service Providers Outside the VA: What to look for and how to do it. Plus: finding the right therapist and firing the idiots.
- How to Break Into Technology or Entrepreneurship: How-to use Angel.co to get a job at a startup or at a technology business.
- How to Get a Future-Proof Job: Plus, my experience helping several Vets prepare for and land great jobs over this last year.
- The Skills That Technology Can't Replace: An overview of the skills gap, and what skills and training will remain in high demand. Covers everything from raising money with platforms like Upstart, to applying for scholarships via MikeRoweWorks.
- Finding Mentors: How I’ve connected and found mentors including: Venture Capitalists, Bestselling Authors, CEO’s of publicly traded companies, and everyone in between.
- Free Graduate School: Why I turned down 30 months of my Post 9-11 GI Bill that would have paid for a PhD (and made the right call).
- How to Fund Training That Your Post 9-11 GI Bill Won’t Cover: How to raise funds for 3-6 month training programs to learn: computer coding, business development, or design. All of the programs that I profile place graduates at high paying jobs.
That’s what will be in the book! It will be available in paperback, E-book, and as an audiobook. The book format will work on any computer, tablet, or phone!
The Book & Budget Breakdown:
Veterans: Don’t Reintegrate, Rebuild America
The book will be a beautiful 5 x 8 paperback, ebook, and audiobook. The book length will be between 200 - 225 pages, possibly more. I’ll use the funds raised from this project to:
- Hire an editor for the book (biggest expense).
- Hire a proofreader (separate from the editor).
- ISBN number, and sample copies for review and a quality check.
- Design and possible cover re-design. Do you like the current cover I mocked up? I can create another one if I need to!
- Audio recording and getting the audiobook produced.
- Printing however many copies of the book I need to fulfill orders.
- Shipping costs for the paperback copies.
With your contributions I'll be able to get this book into the hands of Veterans everywhere this November! Here are what some folks who know their stuff are saying about my ability to do so:
"I have seen Chad captivate audiences with his passionate advocacy for the American military member. His thoughtfulness and depth of knowledge of what service to country means and what it can do to help transform our society is a reflection of his intelligence and patriotism. We need more people like Chad blazing the way for the treasure of our country returning from over a decade of conflict."
-Captain Mark Adamshick, USN (ret), Ph.D. 30 year Naval Aviator and combat veteran
"Chad Grills is an innovative thinker, heartfelt speaker, and a person who offers positive solutions and then follows-through with implementation"
-Michael J. Tougias, Bestselling author of Fatal Forecast, Overboard, and A Storm Too Soon.
Risks and challenges
Writing and finishing the book by November at first appeared like a challenge. But, I've built up my writing habit over the years, and I currently average over 1500 words every day.
My concerns over having a physical version of the book produced were alleviated after receiving mentorship from several bestselling authors. They've explained and guided me through the process, and are standing by to help if I need it during this project.
I'll be ordering sample copies of the paperback first, to ensure the quality is great. Once I'm certain it is, I'll be able to place a bulk order of books to fulfill all of the Kickstarter orders.
If the demand for this Kickstarter project is large, I have several family members standing by to help me ensure all orders are fulfilled.
This project will be a challenge, but I'm ready and committed to pouring 100% of my effort into this project and releasing it this November!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)