Dearest amazing humans,
5 years ago you all helped me launch a Kickstarter campaign to fund the 1 Second Everyday app. Thanks to you, my little personal project to create an ongoing movie, a video journal of my life turned into something anyone could do. We garnered 11,281 backers. Til this day, the most ever for an app on Kickstarter.
Since then we've slowly grown at our own pace. Hiring as we could afford it. We're a team of 9 now. And we're working on a ton of stuff for our community. But we're excited to share one of those today.
When Kickstarter approached us about being a part of their awesome Kickstarter Gold initiative, there was really only one idea we were working on that I was eager to share as soon as possible.
All around me I see constant frustration with the current state of our social feeds. We get sucked into these digital vortex's for hours a day. Digital detox camps are popping up left and right. We're told that the answer is self-control. But these social feeds are literally designed (by extremely smart humans) to keep us inside of them as much as possible every day. Amongst my friends, many choose to simply quit Social Media altogether. And I totally get it. I'm not immune to suddenly realizing I've been scrolling through my social feed for over an hour and immediately hating myself for it.
1 Second Everyday was created out of my personal frustration with my memory and what I knew would work for me to finally keep a journal. So I thought... what do I wish a social media feed was like? One that would allow me to retain most of the value, but removed most of what sucked about it.
Well, we call it Social Media Zero. It's a social media feed with an ending.
Among other things it includes:
- Instead of a real-time feed, you're essentially delivered a recap of everything posted yesterday once a day. You'll watch what yesterday was like, in chronological order, through the videos & photos of the people you choose to follow. The opening screen will tell you exactly how many things were shared and how long we think it'll take you to consume it.
- You can share written posts just like on Facebook. Eventually, it'll allow you to share links and such as well.
- NO Ads. Ever. Soon we'll be launching a subscription tier with a ton of features our community has long been asking for. If even a small percentage of our users become paid subscribers, then we can make Social Media Zero free and ad-free for ALL our users. This Kickstarter offers significant discounts on our upcoming subscription tier.
- Batched notifications. I already keep all my notifications off for almost all my apps. But even so, it's impossible to escape them. Do I really need a notification every time someone likes a photo or post? Do I need to know that INSTANTLY? Interrupting whatever I'm doing in the process? MOST things don't require instant notifications. I understand that I get some delicious dopamine every time I open a social feed and see some likes... but I also understand that this is what causes us to check out feeds countless times a day. I'd rather get them all together once a day and remove the temptation to check back throughout the day to see if I got any more.
- When you are done watching and swiping through the posts... that's it! No reason to come back because there won't be anything there for you til tomorrow. Maybe we'll make some suggestions on what to do with your extra time... maybe you should finally finish reading that book you've been putting off?
In short... We're not saying we have the right answers... but we certainly have ideas on how to better balance our relationship to technology... so we're going to build it and see how it goes.
In order to make this all possible we're launching our Pro subscription service. This is packed with features folks have been asking for at a HUGE discount of up to 45%. Some of the main features:
- Unlimited Backup: We've all been there, you drop your phone, loss it at the park, or it even just flat dies on you. No more fear of losing those precious memories or trying to figure out backups on iCloud. We'll backup all your projects and seconds, no limit!
- Add Music: Everyone wants to make their own soundtrack in life. We've partnered with a great company to bring some international licensed and fully sharable themed tracks to 1SE. Of course, you can use your own special tunes on your phone also.
- Pro-kit: Audio leveling, filters like color correction, and a bunch more. This is our answer to all those 3rd party apps you have to use with 1SE. Super helpful!
- Longer Seconds: We listened and will offer Mega seconds (up to 2 seconds) and Ultra seconds (up to 3 seconds) for all those crazy beautiful moments you want to capture.
This is only the beginning of our "pro" tier. There's a ton of more great stuff coming to it. So now's the chance to grab it and lock in great savings while also supporting 1 Second Everyday.
I really do deeply appreciate all your support over the years. We're really passionate about all this and we're hoping you'll continue to join us on this journey.
On behalf of all of us here at team 1SE, thanks for giving us some of your precious time to check out Social Media Zero.
<MASSIVE DIGITAL GROUP HUG>,
1 Second Everyday