What is Silk Threads?
Three authors, three erotic romance novellas. Bound together by a common magical thread, each novella tells a story of romance and passion unlike any other, exploring both paranormal and BDSM themes. Set in a Japan of the mythic past, the paranormal present, and a cyberpunk future, the three novellas showcase the imaginations of three pioneers of sexuality in fiction.
Focusing on women's erotic power and desires, each story features individual quests for love, intimacy and the discovery of far-reaching potential within the central protagonists. From the legendary creatures of traditional Japanese fables to an atomic age embodiment of existential anxiety and into a cultural paradigm shift, magical silk weaves each generational story into an exploration of romantic cravings.
It is truly unlike anything else. Brought to life by three masters in their fields. For those who don't know them all:
Laura Antoniou's rambling publishing career started with creating and editing the groundbreaking gaming/ media magazine Gateways, back in the 80s, followed by her work on the People With AIDS Newsline for several years. Now, she's better known for her kinky erotica, especially for the Marketplace books, a series of BDSM themed noted for the diversity in the ensemble cast and well outside the tropes of romance novels. The Killer Wore Leather, her first mystery novel was a thinly disguised tribute to Bimbos of the Death Sun - except the convention being lampooned is a kinky gathering of leather enthusiasts. She's been teaching human sexuality topics for decades, but lately, she's been combining her passions in a series of workshops themed Get Your Freak On With Your Geek On, because compartmentalism is annoying. and geeky sex is fun sex. Keep up with her or hit block/ignore at: Facebook, Twitter, and Patreon
- Midori is the founder of ForteFemme: Women’s Intensive, an intimate weekend designed to facilitate women's to exploration of their erotic and personal power to become agents of their dreams and desires. Midori leads workshops, lectures, educational and arts programs to enhance creative living, fulfillment and collaborative leadership from the bedroom to the boardroom. As she teaches -
"The bedroom is a microcosm of power, leadership, communication and creativity. It’s a curious little laboratory magnifying our deep needs, elemental doubts, hidden motivations, and even the complex contradictions of the self."
Through her programs thousands of attendees of all genders have tapped into greater joy, confidence, consent & personal accountability throughout their lives. Midori's decades of Sex Positive instruction started in the 90's through HIV education and Smarter Sex outreach. She's authored many books and articles, including Master Han's Daughter and The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage, the first English language instruction book on Shibari. She's passionately spoken about her art at TEDx SoMa, curated a giant party at the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco, and exhibits her art internationally. She is currently available to lead personalized, private tours of Japan, her home country. Follow Midori on Instagram and at Fire Horse Productions and Patreon.
- Cecilia Tan is an award-winning author of passionate fiction. RT Book Reviews awarded her Career Achievement in Erotic Romance in 2015 and her novel Slow Surrender won the RT Reviewers Choice Award and the Maggie Award for Excellence from GRW in 2013. She has been publishing Daron's Guitar Chronicles as a web serial since 2009 and her Secrets of a Rock Star series is published by Hachette/Forever. Tor Books will soon be publishing her new urban fantasy series, The Vanished Chronicles, where vampires aren't real, but erotic ritual blood magic is. Cecilia is also the editor of the Baseball Research Journal and publications director for SABR, the Society for American Baseball Research. Follow her at: blog.ceciliatan.com,
Twitter, Facebook, G+: ceciliatan Instagram: ctan_writer
The three authors have all been inspiring and thrilling audiences around the world with their work in sexuality education, literature, performance and activism for decades. For them to share one vision, one epic saga, integrating their storytelling, experience and their highly diverse styles is one of the rare occasions one could use the word "unique." No wonder traditional publishers didn't know what to do with it!
All three of us have experience with crowdfunding both through Kickstarter and Patreon, and Cecilia has run a small publishing house since 1992. All three of us are freelancers who depend on the income we make from creative projects for our livelihoods. Here's the budget we've worked out for production of the book:
- $350 Editor
- $250 Proofreader
- $250 cover art commission
- $400 design & layout work
- ~$650 administrative, marketing, & fulfillment assistance
- ~$2,000 fulfillment costs of rewards
- ~$740 Plus around 10% for Kickstarter fees, credit card fees etc
- Add in a hopeful ~$3000 to be split among the three authors and you get...
Minimum goal: $7,640
Note about shipping costs: Previous experience with Kickstarter fulfillment has taught us that it's very easy to underestimate shipping costs. International shipping, even to Canada, has skyrocketed in costs in recent years, and even with domestic shipping there are costs that we need to take into account, including labels, packing materials, and so on for some of the rewards that must be fulfilled by hand. Amazon has trained us to think these things cost nothing and that shipping should be "free" but they are able to take advantage of huge economies of scale that we don't have, and they also will run at a loss which we can't afford to do! We've made our best estimates on reasonable shipping costs for the rewards being offered.
STRETCH GOALS: NOW UPDATED!!
$9,000 REACHED! We will add a lucky red bracelet to every physical reward package!
$10,000 REACHED! We will do a backers-only private online chat event, accessible to everyone who has backed at any level! CHAT WILL BE THURSDAY OCT 25 8pm-9pm!
$11,000 REACHED! We will now add a print of the cover art to every physical reward!
$12,500 REACHED! We will now send the cover art print and bracelet to every backer including the digital backers!
$15,000 REACHED! We unlocked the premium edition of the book! A hardcover edition with special accoutrements!
- We add three interior illustrations to the book! One for each novella.
- *And* we give 10% raises to our cover artist, copyeditor, and proofreader.
- We add three MORE interior illustrations (total of 6, 2 for each novella).
- And we give 15% raises to our cover artist, copyeditor, proofreader.
- AND we add a postcard set of the new art to every package!
- We add an additional three interior illustrations, bringing the total to 9, three for each novella!
- And we give 20% raises to our cover artist, copyeditor, and proofreader.
- AND AND AND we will add one more gift to every backer at $15 donation or above, which will be a set of custom printed chopsticks in a red silk sleeve!
ULTIMATE GOAL: $27,200! REACHED!!
- You all are fantastic and wonderful! Every stretch goal we've set, you've reached! $27,200. Why that number, you ask? That number is a breakpoint where the three authors will get to keep the optimum amount of the money raised, given the cost of overhead.
LAST 48 HOURS! SOME ART!
The last goal we had was to try to hit 500 backers. With 48 hours to go we are at 475, well within reach! We don't have anything new to give you other than our thanks, and a sneak peek at all the great art that the stretch goals have let us commission! Every backer gets a postcard set of all the art!
You can find larger and more complete versions of some of the art below if you read the updates to the campaign, but your contributions have let us add art from:
Your support allowed us to commission a total of 9 interior pieces of art as well as the gorgeous cover illustration by Stephanie Inagaki! This book is going to be beautiful!
UPDATE TO REWARDS: Retailer Package Added
We had some inquiries about whether booksellers or other merchants could get copies of the book for resale. We've added a tier where for $80 you get a five-pack of the paperback. These are *NOT* autographed and will be shipped right from the printer to the reseller. (These packages will not include any of the other tchotchkes or thank-you gifts for regular backers, either.) If you are a bookstore or reseller located in a country outside the US or Canada, please let us know and we'll calculate the shipping for you and add it to the tier.
OUR PARTNERS & SUPPLIERS
COVER ARTIST: We've already chosen the amazing Stephanie Inagaki to create the cover illustration for the book. A Japanese-American fine artist and metalsmith, Stephanie incorporates Japanese folk mythology into much of her work and represents powerful female figures in her imagery which drew us to her work, and which fits the theme of the book perfectly! She'll be created a brand new illustration for the cover.
(Her goth AF metalsmithing jewelry is amazing: Miyu Decay)
ROPE SUPPLIER: Twisted Monk has been a leading maker of finely finished shibari/bondage rope since 2004, and Midori has long been associated with him and the artisans who work with him. Their company is committed to ethical sourcing and BDSM community safety. If you have a scene emergency and have to cut one of their ropes in the emergency? They'll replace it!
* * * NOTE: Twisted Monk has let us know they will not be able to deliver the rope rewards until April 2019. * * *
TEA SUPPLIER: The Aroma Tea Shop in San Francisco has been both Cecilia and Midori's fave tea spot for years. They have some of the best blends and high quality pure oolongs available in the US. When you're in San Francisco, stop into one of their shops and they will brew you many kinds of tea to taste before you buy! Their website is also chock full of delicious options.
COPYEDITOR: Every book project needs an editorial eye. We've enlisted the services of Hugo-award-winning editor Michi Trota to put the polish on Silk Threads. It was important to us to hire an editor who would be as sensitive as we are to the issues that can come up around problematic eroticization/fetishization of "Asian women." Who better but an Asian American woman? We also needed someone who could handle both fantasy and science fiction. Michi is the managing editor of Uncanny magazine and her essays have appeared in Uncanny as well as The Book Smugglers, The Establishment, and Invisible: An Anthology of Representation in SF/F. Michi is also a bad-ass firespinner with the Raks Geek Fire+Bellydance troupe and president of the Chicago Nerd Social Club.
Risks and challenges
All three of us have run successful Kickstarters for book projects before, so we have a good idea of how to do it and what mistakes to avoid.
The biggest pitfall with publishing projects is that they take longer than anticipated to finish. In the case of Silk Threads, we've already written the manuscript and the editorial work has already begun. If the Kickstarter funds successfully, we'll be ready to go directly into typesetting and design with the goal of delivering rewards before the end of the tax year in December 2018.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)