Monogram: A Modular Productivity Tool For Creative Pros
Hey Kickstarter, with your help we had our humble beginnings right here over 5 years ago when we launched Palette Gear. Thanks to your support, we’re excited to be back with a more powerful, more versatile, and more flexible tool for photographers, artists, editors, music producers, and countless other creative pros.
As makers and engineers, we believe the tools you use should be purpose-built for your workflow. Following 5 years of research, development, and customer feedback, Monogram Creative Console is an expertly crafted tool that will seamlessly fit the job while still being adaptable to your expanding skills. We’ve taken everything we learned from the award-winning Palette Gear and upgraded it in every way imaginable. In everything we do, we hope to inspire creativity by designing tools that fit the way you work.
GET STARTED IN A SNAP
1. Magnetically snap together dials, sliders, Essential Keys, and Orbiter modules to fit your unique workflow.
2. Works out of the box with pre-loaded profiles for each application, or customize each input individually using the Monogram Creator app.
3. Speed up your workflow by 30% with creative control at your fingertips.
CREATIVE CONSOLE SOFTWARE
Beyond our native integrations, Monogram Creative Console can also be used with any software. Here are just a few examples of applications supported via MIDI and keyboard shortcut assignment:
- Logic Pro X
- Ableton Live
- Adobe Character Animator
- Final Cut Pro X
- FL Studio
MONOGRAM CREATOR APP
A powerful macOS and Windows app to optimize Creative Console to any workflow; no coding or scripting required.
- Pre-loaded workflow profiles like Developing in Lightroom, Color Grading in Premiere, or Painting in Photoshop
- Create, store, and share your custom profiles across devices
- Standard input device modes: MIDI, keyboard shortcuts, joystick, mouse actions
- Advanced gestures for every input: dial press, dial press & turn, key press and key press & hold, more coming
- Adjust sensitivity and range for any control
- Digitally label modules and bring up a preview on screen for a reminder
- Compatible with macOS 10.12 Sierra and higher, Windows 8.1 and higher
Every Creative Console pre-ordered on Kickstarter will also include 6+ plugins developed by Monogram including: Adobe Lightroom Classic, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Audition, Capture One by Phase One (macOS only), and several other integrations via MIDI or other protocols.
CREATIVE CONSOLE HARDWARE
Creative Console is a system of modular input devices. The modules can be arranged in any shape or size to be optimized for your workflow. There are currently 5 modules in the Monogram collection.
The small but mighty brain that powers Creative Console
- ARM Cortex-M processor
- Real-time operating system
- 1.54” 240x240 BOE 6th-gen color IPS display and protective lens
- USB Type-C connector
- 2 tactile 60g mechanical keys for profile switching or any other functions (supports long press gesture)
- LED light halo around keys for color coding and personalization
- Redesigned power management circuit
- Expanded MIDI functionality
- Compatible with Palette Gear modules
- Max. dimensions: 90 x 45 x 19 mm
A first-of-its-kind input device designed for expressive and precise control of 2D and 3D interactions
Pressure Sensitive Disc
- Dual Tilt/Press mechanism: tilt for expressive and confident control in X/Y directions, or press down as a large pressure sensitive plate in Z direction
- Monogram M3D™: patent-pending sensing technology detects sub-millimeter disc deflection and is immune to dust and debris, where trackballs require cleaning
- Ergonomic hand position: low-profile height and no more trackball flicking
- X and Y axis individually assignable functions
- Adjustable sensitivity and range
- Flexible setups: combine multiple Orbiters or just use one for quick edits on set
- Portable: easily take apart and take with you
Infinite Encoder Ring
- 68mm (2.7”) diameter ring: designed for fine adjustments and smooth scrolling
- High resolution optical encoder
- Adjustable sensitivity
- Soft touch finish: comfortable non-slip grip
- Internal 47mm industrial-grade ball bearing: weighted, smooth and oil-damped feel (yes we know it’s overkill)
- Video editing: color wheels, jog & timeline navigation, clip position, animation
- Photo editing: dual temp/tint, dual hue/saturation, crop, straighten, transform
- Music production: dual expression/modulation, dual frequency/resonance, velocity-sensitive pads
Three endless encoders, each with a built-in button for secondary functions
- 3 pro audio rotary endless encoders
- Each dial has 3 actions: turn, press + turn, press to reset
- 3 LED light halos around dials for color coding and personalization
- Adjustable sensitivity and range
- Dynamically assign up to 135 functions on this module
- Max. dimensions: 90 x 45 x 27 mm
Three smooth sliders in a compact but comfortable form
- 3 pro audio linear potentiometers with 60mm travel
- Ergonomic cap supports various grip styles in either orientation
- 3 LED light halos around slider track for color coding and personalization
- Adjustable sensitivity and range
- Dynamically assign up to 45 functions on this module
- Max. dimensions: 90 x 90 x 27 mm
ESSENTIAL KEYS MODULE
Three tactile mechanical switches to speed up your most repetitive actions
- 3 tactile mechanical switches rated for 70 million cycles
- 3mm key travel with 60 grams-force clicky actuation
- Each key has 2 actions: press, long press
- Dynamically assign up to 90 functions on this module
- Max. dimensions: 90 x 45 x 19 mm
ALL MONOGRAM MODULES
Each module is thoughtfully designed to speed up your workflow and manufactured with quality materials to withstand many years of use.
- Precision CNC-machined from solid aerospace aluminium
- Aluminum sandblasted surface for a premium textured finish
- Anodized aluminum coating for durability and scratch resistance
- Strong neodymium magnetic connectors allow for quick and secure attachment
- Micro spring-loaded electrical contacts
- Soft-touch ABS plastic underside
- Grip ring on underside prevents unwanted slipping on table tops
Monogram Creative Console is also backwards compatible with the 3 Palette Gear modules:
- Palette Arcade-style Button
- Palette Multi-function Dial
- Palette High-sensitivity Slider
They all share the common magnetic connector so just snap them to your Creative Console and they’re ready; no updates needed.
Some of our favorite creatives have tried our modular controls. Here's what they had to say:
How does it work? RC Concepcion explains with our first generation gear:
Taran from Linus Tech Tips was super excited to hear that we hook directly into software through the software's API. And now, we're launching our own API to make it even easier to connect to Monogram.
MONOGRAM DESIGN PHILOSOPHY
Diversity in design.
At Monogram, we take a user-centered design approach to developing our technology. We are constantly talking to the thousands of photographers, video makers, musicians and artists that use our products. What we learned was that there was no one-size-fits-all solution for everybody. There is such a huge diversity of different people, with different styles and different workflows. To match this incredible diversity, we developed new technologies in modularity and customizability, and thoughtfully considered the many professional workflows that exist. We believe the best tools are made to fit the way you work; not the other way around.
Community in design.
Why are we on Kickstarter? Aren't we already an established company? Yes, we have been designing, manufacturing and shipping professional products for the last six years and established a solid reputation for quality. As part of our collaborative design processes, we are constantly listening to feedback from the community and involve our users at every step of the way. When we launched Palette in 2013, the dialogue we had with users on the Kickstarter community made a huge impact on delivering an award-winning product. We haven't stopped since. Unlike other large companies, we wanted to reveal the Monogram Creative Console in the pre-production phase, listen to feedback, and also offer a significant discount to our most loyal backers.
Originality in design.
We combine research and thoughtful understanding to pursue radically new ideas. Revealing our work early also allows us to take bigger risks and push the limits of product design. Six years ago, we could have played it safe and released a fixed board with knobs for photography (prototypes exist) but instead we took the risk to invent new technologies for a modular design. This year, we could have played it safe and released a trackball (prototypes exist) but instead we took the risk to invent new technologies for a 3D sensor and new input paradigm in Orbiter. In a field where the best tools have stagnated for decades, we are confident in our abilities to deliver industry-changing products where other companies can't or won't.
Thank you to everyone who has help us get to this point! For this launch, we especially want to thank the Kitchener-Waterloo community for their support. To our friends who kindly hosted or starred in our video shoot: Steph, Alley, Lawrence, Hanna, Luke, Nick, Georgette Packaging, Kitchener Public Library and Astrodog Media (who also filmed and produced our amazing video). Thank you to Cyril, Sunil, Imran, Aaron, and Snita; our investors and advisors who helped in so many ways. We're grateful to our friends and family who were with us in both in the good and bad times. Special thanks to Ian, Chelsea, and Dan for going above and beyond. And last but not least, to all of the Palette Kickstarter backers and customers who inspired us to do our best work. Thank you!
- Calvin and the Monogram team
Risks and challenges
Hardware development comes with some risks and challenges. Our team has over 5 years of experience building and delivering our first modular controller, Palette Gear. Having designed, manufactured, and delivered Palette Gear, we already have established manufacturing and logistics relationships in place. Our supply chain and manufacturing process for Monogram Creative Console are set and we have developed our final production-ready product.
However, some unforeseen risks may still remain. Although unlikely, these things can affect our delivery time. Our years of experience managing production risks, overcoming manufacturing problems, and mitigating unforeseen challenges will undoubtedly help.
You can count on us to be transparent with you throughout this process and up until successful delivery of Monogram Creative Console right to your doorstep.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)