About this project
2014 is the 40th anniversary of the body that changed a generation!
If you are between 35- 55 you probably owned a toy or game by the MEGO Corporation. This toy Juggernaut of the 70's produced many classic toys. In 1972, MEGO created a GI JOE like 8 inch character called Action Jackson! This was MEGOS version of Hasbro's GI Joe and Mattel's Big Jim. While sales were ok it wasn't the blockbuster they had hoped for. Late in 1973 Mego created the World's Greatest Superheroes. The first tests were sold for Christmas at New York area 5&Dime stores. The line comprised Superman, Batman, Robin and Aquaman. Early in 1973 MEGO added Marvel super heroes to their line up Spiderman, Captain America and Tarzan were added to round out the initial release of the World's Greatest Super Heroes and it was a hit!....
1974 saw the Super Gals and vehicles added but no bigger innovation than that of the type 2 body. Dubbed that by modern customizers this new all plastic body would become the standard for years to come and added to all of MEGO's properties, from Action Jackson to Happy Days, Planet of the Apes to the Walton's
Since the introduction of the type 2 customizers then and now have been using this core action figure body to customize figures never made by the MEGO Corporation. These innovators have made a cottage industry out of the customization of this 8 inch format. Early visionaries like Charlee Flatt used variations of the Type 2 body to make incredible versions of 8 inch MEGO-like figures.
The 8 inch (1/9th) scale of action figure has as much, if not more, talent and as many resources as any other scale on the market today. Customizers around the world have embraced this format and taken the humble type 2 body to incredible heights!
If this wasn't enough, companies started reproducing these figures with modern and retro properties. Classic T.V. Toys and EMCE Toys, followed closely by my company Cast-a-Way Toys brought these back to life with a variation of the type 2 body in the modern era, and gave the community a true re-birth of classic MEGO like figures. For more information on RE-MEGO figures check out our friends at the MEGO Museum.
Tragically as we were entering a new phase of production our molds were stolen in China. This ended our ability to provide customizers with a body and many other 1/9th scale accessories...
Not being one to quit I have teamed up with another incredible company working in the 1/9th scale in ZICA toys.
Craig Owen the mastermind behind the retro Buck Rogers Line and the all new super articulated Yvonne body and I have come together to collaborate on an all-new 8 inch type 2 body. Just in time for the 40th anniversary of the body that we all know and love!
What better way then to celebrate that than to have a truly new 8 inch body that captures the iconic look but also brings it into the future?!
We have put our expertise together for the first time to create an all new retro body! Two trusted names in 8 inch figures united to bring you the Type "S" body!
• The Mego Aesthetic: Since 1974 no other 8 inch body has had the staying power of this classic design. When you think retro 8 inch scale figures, you think the type 2 Mego body. The success of the re-mego movement has been tied closely to this design, because it captures the charm of the 70’s and yet it’s still timeless and as versatile as any modern action-figure. We knew we wanted to capture the classic look of the Type 2, so there was no doubt for the look of this new body.
• Superior Construction: If the Mego type 2 has any faults it’s its rubber band construction. What was cutting edge in 1974 isn’t really up to today’s standards. The tension that holds the body together is also its own worst enemy. The arms can’t rise past 45 degrees to the side, the tension can cause for a cross legged look if too tight, articulation tends to spring back, and rubber bands don’t last forever… With this in mind we decided to opt for a modern solid construction (Type "S" for Solid). This allows for independent articulation on the arms legs and waist. This independent articulation means no tension on the joints, no spring-back and overall superior pose-ability.
• Increased Articulation: The greatest opportunity in re-designing this classic body comes in adding some extra articulation. Without taking away from the look we carefully added some extra articulation points to make this classic body even better! The original 16 points of articulation was boosted to 22! Including better shoulder articulation, swivels at the elbow and removable feet. Now your classic figure can hold more modern poses!
• Ease of Customization: The reason this body has been around for 40 years is because anyone can make his own action figure! Swap the head and costume and you have whole new hero! What’s better than taking something and making it your own? Nothing… this is what keeps a 40 year old toy line alive to this day. With this in mind we didn’t want to change a thing, except to make it easier! This new design utilizes a screw a part chest for ease of customization. Rotocast, resin, injection molded? All heads fit on this new body. No more working that head in, no more neck plug sanding, just unscrew the chest and put in any compatible head. Looking to the future, we plan to take this body to the next level of customization. With newer, bigger chests, bigger arms, different hands and feet customizers will be able to make this body into just about any character they can imagine!
• 100 percent compatibility: In the 70’s there were no less than 5 major companies making 8 inch action-figures: AHI, Tomland, Lincoln, LJN and our Beloved MEGO. They made Action Jackson, WGSH, SWAT, EMERGENCY, and every kind of Monster imaginable! This legacy left us with a wealth of compatible parts and pieces. In the Modern era things absolutely exploded! Pioneers like Doc Mego, Figures Toy Company and new comers like, Classic T.V. Toys, EMCE/Bif Bang Pow, Cast-a-Way Toys, and ZICA, have produced resources available to the customizer that rivals any other action-figure format on the market! When you add talented tailors, sculptors, packagers, and “resin slingers” working in this scale, you have almost anything your heart can desire to customize with. So with all these parts available, why wouldn’t you want a body that “works and plays well” with all these resources? Of course you would! That’s why we made this body capable of using nearly everything on the market! Heads, boots, gloves, costumes, and hands, nearly everything works on this new body.
We are utilizing Kick Starter to give you the opportunity to help us make this body a reality! If you want this body, here is your chance to make it happen! What will you get? How about product? plain and simple, you are pre-ordering this body, the more you buy the cheaper they get! You can get them at darn near cost! The Proto-type is done! Craig and I have a proven track record of producing. Are you ready for a better body? The only thing left is YOU!
What you are funding is the "tooling" or steel molds used to produce these bodies. This funding will also off-set the initial production run of bodies.
What you are looking at is the prototype of the very first type "S" body. This prototype was made in China and represents the exact production piece to be manufactured by our factory there.
These parts will be molded and readied for injection molding. The parts will then be compiled into complete functioning action-figure bodies in China.
These completed "blanks"will be packaged and shipped here for final distribution. Our plan is to offer these at a retail of $10 or under to the general public via our e-commerce website. We may distribute these to other on-line and bricks and mortar stores, but will start with on-line sales. As an initial backer you can receive not only incentives in price but also limited edition t-shirts commemorating the 40th anniversary of this classic design and mini t-shirts for the figure as well. We are also including high quality vinyl stickers for you to show your support of the iconic design.
If you love these iconic figures, customizing them, or are looking to upgrade existing re-megos then by all means join us so we can make it a reality!
These goals represent what will reward our backers if we are fortunate enough to be funded beyond our initial goal. We know we can’t do this without you, so we really want to make this a reward… Simply put; the better we do the more you get.
·Stretch Goal #1: If we achieve funding $3000 over our goal amount, everyone who backed at a level receiving a Type “S” body will receive a 3 pack of injection molded (solid) heads. These fully painted heads will be compatible with the Type “S” body as well as other 8 inch scale bodies on the market.
·Stretch Goal #2: If we achieve funding $6000 over our goal amount, everyone who backed at a level receiving a Type “S” body will receive a set (5 pair) of Original Castaway Style hero boots in 5 different colors. (plus Stretch goal #1)
·Stretch Goal #3: If we achieve funding $10000 over our goal amount, everyone who backed at a level receiving a Type “S” body will receive a muscular chest and muscular shoulders for every figure they received. These add-ons make your bodies into more muscular characters and are the first of many enhancements we plan to bring to market. (plus Stretch goal #1 and #2)
Risks and challenges
If we get funded you get the best retro body ever made, all the love and none of the problems! If this get's funded you can also look forward to new fully licensed 8 inch figures as well, and boy do we have some good ones in mind!
If we don't get funded you are stuck with what ya got! Now this is China we are talking about, so some risk is involved, but Craig and I have good track records for getting it done. We want this as much as you do, if you help us we will reward you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)