::: updated sneak peeks can be seen at The Cast box on our website. We will continue to update cast voices regularly, so keep checking back and please help us spread this message! :::
OCCUPIED CASCADIA is a documentary film exploring the emerging concept of bioregionalism throughout the Pacific Northwest. And while we focus our lens on Cascadia, this story appears to be examining the transforming global shift taking place.
What's the best way to support Occupied Cascadia:
- Make a pledge today via Kickstarter. Any contribution, no matter how small or large, will make a difference. Please check out the donation tiers to your right to find the level and gift that's right for you!
- Spread the word by telling your friends, family and social networks about 'Occupied Cascadia' and this Kickstarter campaign. Please send the URL of this page with a heartfelt endorsement to everyone you know! "Like" and share the link on Facebook. Encourage people to follow the film and get involved.
- If you have other ideas how to help, please contact us!
HOW DOES KICKSTARTER WORK?
Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects, driven by an all-or-nothing rule. If we don't raise our goal of $13,500, we lose everything and no money changes hands. This is the bare minimum we need to complete this film and the more funds we raise, the more places we can get to which equates to better footage for the film, the higher quality our final mastering will be and the more outreach we will be able to accomplish. This campaign ends MAY 1st. Time goes by very fast, so if you can, please pledge now and help be a part of this new dialogue.
What if I don't want the incentive, I just want to support?
No problem, there is a button that you can select if you don't want the reward.
It is widely known that we live in a world surrounded by chaos and our environment is on the brink of devastation. While it has become quite clear to most that something must change, how do we actually come together and figure out the seemingly impossible?
What is Cascadia and what is bioregionalism? What quality of life will be available for future generations? Will they be able to breathe the air and drink the water? Will we be able to overcome our fears and begin this very real and necessary dialogue? Explore these concepts and more.
To focus on our bioregion is hardly a new concept:
"It has been the animating cultural principal through ninety-nine percent of human history and is at least as old as consciousness." - Jim Dodge
Every place on earth exists within a bioregion. Cascadia is the land of falling waters located on the northeast Pacific Rim. Resource wars are upon us, governments are more oppressive than ever, global economies are destabilizing and collapse has become a common reference, so how will humanity adapt to survive these catastrophic times? The United States is divided, as is Canada, and THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING.
Historically, the diverse voices throughout Cascadia have paved the way for many movements. So, what defines the people of this region? Are the people of this land forging a new path for themselves?
The people of Cascadia are diverse in opinions, stories and backgrounds and much like the larger nations we are a part of, we are divided by fundamentalism. What changes must we really make in order to provide for future generations? Are we capable of coming together, and if so, where do our commonalities lie?
We began this exploration seeking our own reconciliation within the human journey. We started filming last October with the Occupy Movement in Portland, OR and Vancouver, BC, and hit the streets from there. As we made connections across our land base and talked with individuals from all walks of life, we became encouraged and inspired that we, as a people, are indeed capable of coming together and solving our greatest problems. What started as another impractical interpretation by a few journalists, has transformed us in ways we never imagined.
We sought out activists, scholars, authors, spiritual leaders and everyday people that could illuminate not only the direness of our situation, but also provide context for real world solutions. We believe we have captured the essence of an emerging culture and movement. We also believe that it is this type of movement that very well may set precedence for the rest of the world. Despite the divisive labels put upon us by corporations, the oppressive media and our governments, and despite the widespread feelings of hopelessness, we feel we have captured a great story of potential that must be told.
Your support is crucial. This project has made it this far through tremendous voluntary efforts, but it is time to put it all together and finalize this content! Every dollar we raise is going to be used for three very specific things:
- we are almost done filming, but we need your support to cover just the gas to get us there, so that we can create the remaining necessary footage;
- we need to cover the costs of editing which includes buying a few hard drives to store and protect all the footage, recording music and score for the film, and all post-production expenses;
- last, we need to spread the message about this film at film festivals and screenings. At each film screening there will be panel discussions about these very important concepts, actualities and the making of the film.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Devin Hess & Mel Sweet
Directors & Co-producers