We can always see different types of figures selling in physical stores and online stores. Figures of animals, movie characters, cartoon characters, singers and of course... Politicians.
Why people buy these figures? The answer is obvious, because we love the person/character. We feel good and happy when we own the figure.
In this case, isn't it great to have figures of someone in our circle? Like ourselves, our partner, our family members and our friends.
THE ME FIGURE - What is it all about?
Not only celebrities or movie characters can have their own figures. You can have yours too.
Our story started in 2008.
My name is Carina Wong. I used to buy figures of Japanese animated characters and celebrities very often, I even got a figure set of Star Wars characters to put beside my bed. The figures just made me so happy and satisfied. But then I found the figure choices are so limited in the market, standard posture, fixed clothing... It's boring.
So I started my journey - I started to learn and make my very own handmade figures.
Long story short, after many times of failures and practicing. I finally started to make figures for myself, my family and my friends. And about 2 years ago, I started to search for handmade figure artists in Hong Kong and China (People in Asia called them "Shifu" or "Sifu"). I intended to start a team to custom made figures for people in a more professional way. This is how "The Me Figure" was born.
Why are we doing a campaign on kickstarter?
- We need funding to buy one or two online advertisements through social media (Facebook and Instagram). The first step of our plan is to let more people learn about the figure culture as well as this kind of sculpture technique. Second step of our plan is to make free tutorial videos after our business start growing due to the ads.
- If funding is enough, we will also use the funding to improve our equipment - Baking Stoves and Dryers, in order to speed up the production process and maintain high quality.
- Crowd funding is not popular in Hong Kong, only a small group of people heard of it and a very small group of people who actually participate. We found it very difficult to raise fund locally, so we decided to reach outside, and so we start a campaign on kickstarter.
How much funding we will actually get from one figure you pledging us?
After deducting the material cost, basic labor cost, kickstarter's fee and bank handling fee, we are getting about HK$40 (est. US$5) from one figure that you pledged. (There's no profit included). Meaning, one figure you buy is funding us HK$40 (est. US$5).
How do we custom made THE ME FIGURE for you?
We will collect pictures and details from you as soon as the campaign ends. You can send pictures to us through email or whatsapp or facebook messenger.
Our offer to backers: Share our campaign on social media and get any one of the below :
(1) A "title plaque" (you can put your name or any word)
(2) Adding a small figure of your pet with no surcharge needed
After you have shared, please leave me a message and advice the link or a screen capture photo to verify.
You can click any of the share links at the top left of this page.
Other Ways You Can Help
We understand if you can't make a pledge, you can still help us by spreading the word about our campaign. Just click any of the share links at the top left of this page and share our campaign with your friends and family. THANK YOU SO MUCH for supporting us!
Risks and challenges
We have enough experience in figures making for customers. With our strong technical background and well trained customer service mindset, we are confident in handling different kind of situation.
The main risk and challenge would be production delay due to remake or refix the figures. Before we bake the figure, we will send pictures of semi-finished product to our customer, for them to confirm the face structure and other details; if there is too many changes or big amendment, production will slide 1-2 days.
Another common challenge is, some customers only reply our message like 3 days later, this will hold up the production and cause the delay as well.
Yet, we always try our best to provide good service, we are very flexible and easy to talk to.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (7 days)