Cards for Culture – Museum Edition is a well-designed box with three separate decks of cards that help you to develop and strengthen your museum strategy across a wide range of topics. The total of one hundred versatile and user-friendly cards stimulate your creativity, inspire innovation and guide transformation processes. Play it alone, or with others.
- Develop an integrated strategy for your museum, one of its departments, or for an exhibition, programme or event;
- Check the impact of current trends on your museum or activities;
- Learn from international best practices;
- Ask yourself the questions that matter;
- Develop a useful checklist of strategic opportunities;
- Discover the strengths and weaknesses of your organization;
The cards bring together many years of experience in facilitating strategy development processes, up-to-date trends and international best practices.
What do you get?
Each box of cards consists of:
- A deck of 64 cards with strategic questions, based around eight themes (story, leadership, audience, organization, community, society, space and assets).
- A deck of 16 cards with current trends that are shaping the future of museums.
- A deck of 16 cards with inspiration and best practices from around the world.
- Four jokers: Relevant risks and threats that could disrupt your museum.
- A user manual.
The cards are beautifully designed by Dutch designer Robin Stam and will be produced at very high quality, to ensure their sustained usability in your museum. Our prototypes still look brand new after countless workshops.
All the content of the cards is especially developed by museum experts for this purpose only and as such the game and its contents is unique in the sector.
How to use Cards for Culture – Museum Edition?
Use the cards as playing cards in strategy development sessions, brainstorms, team retreats or simply during a lunch with your colleagues. Six tried-and-tested ways in which you can use the cards:
- Play all the strategy cards, one-by-one, and formulate the answers with your team, while discovering your strengths and weaknesses.
- Play two strategy cards simultaneously to discover how separate elements of your strategy influence each other or relate to one another.
- Play one trend card and define how this impacts different strategy cards.
- Play one inspiration card and spot the related strategy cards to discover how your museum can learn from this example.
- Have a team member present and defend an idea or proposal. Play a set number of strategy and trend cards per person to challenge and strengthen the idea or proposal.
- Make it more difficult and play the jokers in any given game to disrupt your thinking and test your resilience.
The cards work great in team sessions, but can also be used by individuals and in coaching and consultancy processes.
Why did we make this?
Every day we meet smart and energetic professionals who are facing considerable challenges within their organizations. With Cards for Culture – Museum Edition we wanted to create a tool to help them. More action-driven than a management book, more long-term than a conference and less expensive than a consultant.
Cards for Culture – Museum Edition is created by Erik Schilp and Jasper Visser and designed by Robin Stam.
Erik Schilp is an international innovator, connector and strategist. He specializes in sustainable business solutions in the arts, cultural and heritage sectors. Erik was the director of the Zuiderzee Museum and of the National Museum of History in the Netherlands. His current clients include a range of international museums, businesses and governments.
Jasper Visser is a change agent and innovator specialised in value creation through audience engagement, especially in cultural and heritage institutions. Jasper’s clients include the European Parliament, the State Library of New South Wales, the Mauritshuis and Philips. He blogs at themuseumofthefuture.com.
Stretch goal 1: 9,600 euros
All backers of the campaign will get free access to the online environment for the 2017 trends and inspiration cards, when they are released around this time next year. This means your current box of Cards for Culture - Museum Edition will stay up-to-date for an extra year at no extra cost!
Risks and challenges
Are there any risks related to funding this project?
Not really. The product is already developed and designed. We use the crowdfunding to strengthen the quality and to maintain an affordable consumer price. Regardless what happens, all funders will get their boxes by the deadline mentioned.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (41 days)