Carbon13: The Geometry Set.
Without a doubt, our most requested project to date has been a full geometry set. We listened, we designed, we waited, we redesigned and now we are ready to launch. With completely re-done scales, updated shapes and the introduction of our new Super Light series, its safe to say we're really excited to present these to you.
In the set:
- C15 SuperLight - A 15cm ruler, with edge-to-edge scales in both metric and imperial increments. At just 0.5mm thick, this ruler is incredibly light, extremely flexible and nearly invisible when stored inside a notebook. It is thinner, lighter and shorter than the original C13 ruler, yet has longer and more usable scales. Progress!
- C31 SuperLight - We've also completely redesigned the 31cm ruler. With new scales, an updated shape and an even thinner build, this super light version is incredibly flexible and we know you're going to love it.
- U-Square 'Super8' - Robust, handy and super useful, the Super8 is named for its 8cm longest edge. It has 4 scales in total, 2 each in metric and imperial as well as a full set of our trademark compassing holes. The U-Square is 0.8mm thick and is designed as the perfect grab-and-go ruler that you'll keep in your wallet or purse!
- Large Square SL - Kicking things off with the true geometry tools is the most requested individual piece we have been asked for - a Carbon Square. 3 sides with end-to-end scales, a protractor, compassing holes and a bunch of handy circle sizes too. At just 0.5mm thick, this square is super duper flexible and disappears into an A5 notebook (or bigger) when you're not using it. For those that use the metric system, you'll be pleased that all 3 sides are in centimetres. For those that want imperial - we do one of those too. Just let us know in the comments and on your backer survey!
- Small Square SL - The same features as its bigger brother, but in a palm-sized form. This one can be stashed inside an A7 notepad or even wallets!
As an added bonus and a favourite piece of feedback we get all the time - carbon fibre rulers don't scratch surfaces (unlike metal rulers), so can be used in a huge range of environments with no need to worry about damaging paintwork or anything like that!
The SuperLight Series:
At just 0.5mm thick, these are our thinnest and most flexible rulers. Ever. Only in carbon fibre can a ruler be this thin and flexible, yet be so tough!
Available individually or as a bundle:
We wanted to give you the option to pick the parts of the set that suit your needs. So if the full set isn't for you - buy the pieces individually, grab the most popular pair, or modify your pledge tier to add extras in and just let us know in the survey! [if there is a popular theme for a new pairing, we'll add it as a reward tier to make things easier!]
Fully Tracked Shipping:
We've had issues where a handful of backers in the past have not received their pledges and we were unable to find out why. We've put a lot of time into finding a new shipping partner and have upgraded our postage to a fully tracked service. Because the individual pieces are so light, it doesn't actually cost much more and therefore we won't be charging you the difference, our postage prices remain the same!
Closer Look: Large Square SL
While the C13 and C31 rulers were due an upgrade, this was really the piece we were excited to launch to you!
Called the SuperLight for a reason - it weighs less than 6g! At 0.5mm thick, you won't even notice when it's stashed in your notebook. The 3 metric sides feature end to end scales, and there are standard sized holes for both metric and imperial circle drawing. In addition to our usual compassing holes, we've included a super easy to use protractor too! [also available with imperial scales.]
Closer Look: Mini Squares
Once the large square was designed, the logical next step was its little brother. This one really is a 'honey I shrunk the triangle' design. It too is just 0.5mm thick, features end-to-end scales (metric and imperial on offer), an easy to use protector and a full set of our compassing holes.
The U-Square is a little different. This one was designed to fit easily into a standard credit card slot in a typical wallet or purse. For this reason, it's the one you can always keep on you whenever you may need to measure something up! To save you the decision, we made this one with end to end metric and imperial scales. We preferred the look and feel of these a little thicker so made them to 0.8mm. They're a bit studier so can be used for more than just measuring when out and about! Scratch ice off a frosted windshield, use the corner to defeat stubborn packaging or cut open an avocado, scoop out the insides, drop kick the stone into the stratosphere and make a dope guacamole at a house party (if you really feel you have to).
^Carbon fibre is also RFID blocking, so you can use it as a spacer between your contactless cards!
Closer Look: C15-SL Ruler
The C13 ruler was the first project we launched on Kickstarter. It ran for 7 days and we ended up sending out over 1200 rulers to backers and early customers all over the world.
One of the biggest bits of feedback we received is that they'd be better with end-to-end scales. So that's what we did - and for good measure*, we increased the scale length to 15cm too. They're unbelievably flexible at just 0.5mm thick. This makes it much easier to measure curved, uneven and difficult to reach surfaces!
*pun absolutely intended.
Closer Look: C31-SL Ruler
The C31 ruler was our second ever project! It did even better than the first, raising almost £10,000 in a week. These rulers were sent to all corners of earth (which is round) and the feedback was generally extremely positive. We did have a slight error with the imperial scale however. We asked our backers if they would prefer a notch, or a hanging hoop at one end. The hoop was decided, and somehow we lost one of the increments on the inch scale, making it a bit tricker to use end-to-end! Part of our new shipping partner contract is a much better QC process, so this sort of gaff won't happen again!
For this entirely reworked version, we have not only fixed the imperial scale, but have also flipped it round - so now the metric and imperial sides both start from the same end. This was a common request as it makes conversions easier on projects that combine both metric and imperial measurements.
The C31 is part of our SL range, meaning - surprise surprise - it is only 0.5mm thick. Its so thin and flexible that it can also be twisted to measure warped and uneven things such as bent vehicle chassis', human faces and props from the Dr. Strange movie!
Risks and challenges
With 3 projects already under our belt, thats 3 projects worth of experiences with our fantastic manufacturing partner. There are a couple of tiny design tweaks we'd like to make before your final units are sent out, as well as any backer requests such as imperial scales or other changes to the parts!
Our shipping partner, as mentioned above, has changed. We are now offering a fully tracked service so we can accurately follow all backer orders and solve any issues much faster!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (10 days)