Turn The Slate Productions in Association with Big Smile Pictures Presents
We walk past hundreds of people every day. Hundreds of people we don’t think twice about. Hundreds of people that we never stop and talk to. Hundreds of people we’ll never see again. But what if we did?
Candice is a short film about what happens when we get talking to strangers in the modern urban jungle and how we build new relationships in a world where we have never been more connected electronically, but have never been more isolated socially.
The film follows Candice, a lonely thirtysomething, around East London over the course of one fateful night as she learns that first impressions aren’t always everything.
Actress Olivia Poulet (The Thick of It, In The Loop) is attached to star as Candice alongside Nicholas Pinnock (Marcella, Top Boy, Fortitude) who will play Greg.
Some recent local press about CANDICE:
WHY WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
Filmmaking does not come cheap. Candice will cost approximately £5000 to make. We are contributing £2000 towards making the film ourselves, but that still leaves us £3000 short of our estimated budget.
Which is where we need your help.
In addition to paying for our incredible cast and crew, we need money for the following:
- Locations – We need to pay to hire our locations. Although Candice is written to require as few locations as possible, this is our biggest expense, given that we are looking to shoot in East London (£££) at night (£££££££). On top of this, we need to hire a unit base – somewhere that our cast and crew can prepare, rest and eat during the shoot. Speaking of which…
- Catering – A film set marches on its stomach. It goes without saying, but we need to make sure that we can feed (and caffeinate) our cast and crew throughout the shoot. At times, there will be over twenty people on location. It adds up very quickly…
- Equipment – It is really important that our film looks and sounds as good as possible. We therefore need to make sure we have the best equipment we can. We’re talking about high quality sound equipment.
- Transport– We’re going to need to pay to get our team to the set, and then to get everyone from location to location. We’re aiming to shoot the entire film in two days, so we’ll be flitting around quite a bit in that time. Oh, and parking in London.
- Post Production – Shooting the film is only the tip of the iceberg. We want to finish the film as well as possible which means devoting some money to the sound mixing and the picture grading to give us a finished film that sounds and looks incredible.
- Everything Else – From costumes and props to insurance and music rights, every expense adds up, right down to printing the crew’s call sheets. And we need to cover it all. We don’t want to cut corners and we don’t want to settle for the easiest options.
We’ve got an incredible script, a core crew of young, experienced professional filmmakers and two brilliant lead actors and we want to make an absolutely spellbinding piece of cinema. And with a little help from you, we can make this happen.
*If you click on our bio section, there is more information about all of us and what we`ve worked on previously..
Risks and challenges
We have a core crew of filmmaking professionals attached and dedicated to shooting this short film in late August, with Olivia and Nicholas both confirmed for the shoot. We have been practical in our approach to budgeting and planning and have a plan of how we can deal with problems which may arise from securing locations, shooting in public places and working at night and have built in plenty of contingency.
Both George and Alexei’s previous short films have done well on the international short film festival circuit, so we are confident in gaining such interest in our finished film.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)