DAY 20 // 62% // Behind the scenes // Support ADA
BEHIND THE SCENES
Some of you were interested in how I did the cutscenes... Let me show you the process for the intro (Some of you may already have seen that thread on twitter):
First, the background. Nothing very special here. I did it with Photoshop, layer by layer (mainly because in a preliminary version of the Trailer, there was supposed to be a parallax scrolling).
For the ship model, I used Windows 10 own 3D Builder software (!) which is very simple and very easy to use. Perfect for my needs in this particular case (+ you can export in a format (.ply) Photoshop would recognizes better)
Once in Photoshop, I could use its 3D + animation tools to move the ship how I wanted, at the final resolution. Then I exported a GIF out of it. Here's the result:
Then comes the cleanup phase! Cleaning consists in applying the game's palette to the entire GIF animation (you can do this in PS by: exporting for the web / GIF / apply a palette), then correcting the rendering imperfections as best as possible frame by frame, manually:
Oh. Let me go back in time a little bit. This is a small part of that scenes' storyboard:
Exporting the layers, adding a fancy smoke VFX, birds, animated waterfall, Leo getting out of the ship, SFXs, ...Importing everything in GameMaker and here you go:
Explore hand crafted world of Ada, where every zone is carefully put together tree by tree, rock by rock to give you thoughtfully designed multi layered levels with non-linear progression.
- Explore vast and cruel open world crafted pixel by pixel with passion and love, find all secrets scattered across the land (and water).
- Fight your way through hordes of diverse enemies with unique behaviour and design, be prepared, observe, adapt and survive.
- Meet interesting characters, immerse yourself in their storylines, fulfill your promises or betray them, experience how they change as story gets more intense.
- Forge your character the way you want, learn, use and upgrade skills that suit you best, throw potions, use powerful magic, or simply slash your way through anything that stands in your way.
- Be prepared for the unexpected, the world around you is constantly changing and you never know what you will run into, be it at night or day time.