Campfire Blaze: Web-based Writing Software for Storytellers
Design your story from initial concept to final draft in one cohesive space. From character creation to worldbuilding to plotting, Campfire Blaze has the tools to help.
Begin with a title page...
Create your characters...
Build your world...
Plot out your story...
Fine-tune your character arcs...
Finally, write your story and prepare for publishing.
Who Are We?
Hi! We are Campfire Technology, a software company composed almost entirely of college students working toward the goal of creating the best writing software in the world.
Our Original Idea (Campfire Pro)
In October of 2018, we released Campfire Pro, a story planning software for novelists. With Pro, we discovered that writers desire more visual and intuitive story planning tools than the wiki-style websites that are currently available. 10 months later, we have amassed over 4,500 users and built an amazing community. Through that community, we received a ton of amazing feedback, and decided to build a new and improved software that builds upon the best parts of Pro, while adding all the features our users have been asking for. And because of our commitment to Pro's users, Blaze will be able to import Campfire Pro stories seamlessly. Furthermore, Pro users will receive a free 3-month subscription to all of Blaze's add-ons.
Our New Idea (Campfire Blaze)
Campfire Blaze will be composed of a variety of interwoven components, which we call add-ons. Each add-on is optional, and you only pay for the add-ons you use. A few examples of add-ons are the Characters add-on, the Timeline add-on, and the Maps add-on.
- Portable - Host your stories in the cloud and access them from anywhere
- Collaborative (but private, too) - Work with others on characters, locations, stories, and more. But never be forced to make your work public - even when using the free plan.
- Affordable - Only pay for the features you need
- Visual - Enjoy a software that's beautifully designed and more than just a text editor
- Unconstrained - Enjoy near-unlimited storage space for all your stories, and don't pay on a per-story basis.
This is Blaze's biggest priority. All add-ons must be completely interconnected. Here are some great examples of Blaze's cohesiveness:
- Link characters to the events they play a role in
- Link events to the locations they take place in
- Tag a location as a character's birth location or place of current residence
- Link languages to the locations in which they are spoken
- Link magic systems to the characters who can use them
However, the most powerful example of cohesiveness in Campfire Blaze is the Character Arcs add-on. It looks like this:
As shown in the image, Blaze knows which events each character is in. It allows the writer to make notes on how each event affects the character, including a graph for easy visualization of changing character traits over time.
Add-ons are purchased individually. Only pay for the ones you need! Furthermore, each add-on can be used in four ways:
- Free Tier: All add-ons can be used for free, but with limited functionality that depends per add-on. For example, if you're not paying for the Characters add-on, you'll only have access to a limited number of characters.
- Monthly Subscription - Pay for the add-on on a monthly basis, and cancel whenever you don't need it. You'll still be able to view all the work you did in that add-on!
- Yearly Subscription - Get 2 months out of every year free by paying on a yearly basis.
- Lifetime Purchase - If you know this is an add-on you'll be using for a long time, and can commit to paying 3 years of it at one time, then you can have it for life. No more recurring costs.
Full Pricing Chart
First and foremost, donate because Campfire Blaze will help writers around the world tell better stories, faster. This software will have a powerful positive impact on the writing community, and donating will allow you to be a part of it.
In addition, we're offering some great deals based on how much you donate:
- Wildfire ($200 = Best Deal!) - $70 in savings on a lifetime subscription to all Blaze add-ons available at launch, PLUS get all future Blaze add-ons for FREE, for LIFE
- Bonfire ($100) - $35 in savings on 5 lifetime add-on purchases
- Campfire ($50) - $40 in savings on year-long subscription
- Flames ($30): $24 in savings on 6-month subscription
In addition to these opportunities, all Campfire Pro users at the time of Blaze's launch will receive a free 3-month subscription to Blaze.
These are awesome. Here goes nothing:
- $1,000,000 - Jason (that's me, the CEO) will drop out of college to join the exclusive drop-out club that includes Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Kanye West.
Please donate to this Kickstarter to help contribute to what will become the greatest writing software in the world!
Risks and challenges
Financially, we will be able to afford to create Blaze using this Kickstarter's funds and previous revenue from Campfire Pro. Technologically, we know that Blaze's list of features is feasible based on our experience developing Campfire Pro.
The biggest uncertainty with this project is timing. We selected October of 2020 as the date for Blaze's release, as it gives us a little over a year to put it together (we've already started the foundational work). Failing to reach this development timeline is our biggest risk. If we are late in release, you can rest assured that the project will be completed.
We will always be completely transparent about our development progress with our community.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)