A meeple for everyone
Last time on Making a Meeple, we talked about our Japanese wave pattern prototype. So, we had the size, the shape, the metals and the enamels, now we needed to make them all different.
Daniel did a ton of designs (he always does, it’s such a great way to explore ideas) with big single images or tessellated patterns, and we decided we liked the fine work the best. So, with the colours in mind, we thought about universal symbols that would fit each colour, and also make people happy. We wanted everyone to find their own inner meeple, even that one scowling person who wanted to get this Euro game over with so that they could play something with zombies in it. Voila, for you my friend, the black skull meeple was a no braiiiiiner.
Some ideas were easy: blue waves, red hearts, yellow daisies, purple stars. The one that was hardest was green. We knew we wanted something natural, but it turned out to be really heart to get a nice universal pattern. We tried clover leaf, vines, regular leaves, pine, and nothing quite worked, until we made the obvious breakthrough: we design in Australia and craft in China, so of course, it should be bamboo!
Here is all of Daniel’s original art, with the meeples you see in the video and photos.
We were ready, but as they say, there’s always one: we just couldn’t get one of these meeples right. No, it wasn’t the Black Skulls, don’t be so mean to the goth, they’re lovely. It was the Yellow Daisy meeple, we just couldn’t get the yellow enamel right.
The daisy design was fantastic, it was so appealing, but there was something about the depth of the pattern that just didn’t take to the colour. Yellow is hard to work with at the best of times, but we found that they were turning out either muddy or soapy.
Why did this meeple not colour reliably when all the others did? We finally had a thought: it’s because the pattern has larger shapes. The hearts, skulls, stars and waves were all small repeated patterns. Maybe it would look better if the daisies were smaller.
So, Daniel obliged with one final design, and they came up beautifully. I have to apologise again for the flat light in the photo, but we finally had the golden, sparkly, shiny yellow meeple that we wanted. Here is the comparison between the artwork and the final meeples.
Here is a group of the new yellow meeples. Again, the unflattering fluro light is too harsh, but in normal conditions these glow.
All this happened after we had finished our final photo session, so we’re sorry we don’t have these out there on the front page, but there’s the true story of the yellow meeple, and how we managed to get it at last. Trust us, you will like these ones better, because the last ones looked like soup.
There’s one more meeple to show you; our super-secret bonus meeple. It’s waiting to be unlocked at our next stretch goal of $20,000… but, spoiler, it’s hiding in plain sight in the project video. Go have a look!
Jackson, Andre, Mark, & Penny