Stretch Goal #2: $100,000 - LCD Front Panel with SD card slot and D-pad
Stretch Goal #1 was easily reached at $55,000. Cool camBLOCK LED flashlights will ship with every system! Stretch Goal #2 is more ambitious:
Right now, the camBLOCK Adventure has LED lights to indicate Power, WiFi connectivity, and status. If we can reach this goal, we'll have the funds to develop and include an LCD screen directly on the camBLOCK Adventure. In addition to having the screen display your shot status, You can program A->B moves on the device by setting start position, end position, duration, interval and shutter speed. This can be handy if you're in extreme conditions that that are too cold or wet for your ipad and still need to pull off a shot. The SD card slot can be used to save moves, update firmware, or other exciting options.
Thank you to our backers!
We are very pleased at the response our Kickstarter has gained. We know that there are hundreds of filmmakers who have wanted our systems over the years, and now camBLOCK Adventure is within reach for most of them. If you want our new system at a substantial discount then now is the time to order by becoming a backer.
Thank you for your support and input over the years, we are excited about this next leap for camBLOCK and are excited about enabling more filmmakers than ever before through camBLOCK Adventure.
Stewart and the camBLOCK team :)
For the past five years, camBLOCK has built portable motion control systems for film and television production. Our motion control systems have taken motion time-lapse and real-time special effects technology out of dedicated studios, and brought it to some of the most remote locations on the planet. Professional filmmakers shooting for BBC, Discovery, National Geographic, TNT, NFL Films, IMAX productions and more, have used camBLOCK to achieve awe inspiring motion time-lapse and real-time special effect shots.
We are filmmakers ourselves, and build the tools we want to work with. Our mix of engineering skills and film production experience gives us unique insight into the world of production technology. Our systems aren't made just to work in the lab, they are made to face real world filming challenges.
Based on our experiences and user feedback, we are now creating our next generation motion control system aptly named the camBLOCK Adventure. It is designed to shrink our technology into an ultra-portable form factor that is even more rugged and easy to use, while keeping the advanced features that professionals rely on. And perhaps most importantly, we are making our technology available at price that will allow even more filmmakers to own our systems.
- 3 Axis motion control - Pan, Tilt and Dolly
- Cameras weighing up to approx. 10lbs supported. For DSLRs, digital cinema cameras, etc.
- Track length: extendable from about 2 feet to 10 feet. Package comes with 5 lengths of track that are 23.75" each, (10 tubes total)
- Additional track will be available up to 20 feet max.
- Wireless control via IOS app
- Integrated camera shutter trigger - cables available for most major DSLR
(*At the conclusion of our campaign, we'll email you to find out which camera trigger cable you'll need.)
- Keyframe based timeline familiar to editors and effects artists. The Keyframe interface allows for the creation of complex and smooth movements, scalable to any speed (up to the maximum speed of our motor/gear-train)
- Save and open moves for use at later times. Recreate shots in multiple locations. Create multiple pass visual effects. Even multispeed compositing.
- Special timelapse modes to calculate for all timelapse variables. Even multiply your productivity with the Multi-Timelapse interleave capability, shooting many sequences simultaneously.
- Revolutionary Exposure mapping for day-to-night transitions.
- Single, compact unit
- Unique, patent pending tilt mechanism allowing up to 180 °of tilt without bulky side structure.
- CNC milled of 6061 aluminum and hard anodized
- High quality gears & motors with no backlash
- Weather resistant design
After we deliver rewards to all our backers, we'll begin production and sale of these add-ons via our website.
- lensBLOCK lens movers for Focus/Zoom/Iris of your camera that will connect to the built-in expansion port
- Vertical Dolly Kit - counter-weight pulley system to take strain off motors when setting up the dolly vertically or at a high incline.
- Additional track, expandable to 20 feet
- LCD Front Panel with SD card slot and D-pad - will be included if stretch goal #2 is met, but will be offered separately otherwise.
Update from NAB
State of Development
Our original camBLOCK has been in use for about 5 years, and that's given us a lot of headway in designing the camBLOCK Adventure. The adventure is currently in prototyping stage - We've iterated several CAD designs and are currently testing our 3D printed prototype. Much of the electronics for the Adventure are already in use on the original camBLOCK and are in the process of being integrated into our prototype. Once we've fully tested the printed prototype, we'll begin the production design CNC milled from aluminum. Wireless protocol and app development have begun and the iOS app currently has basic functionality.
iOS App & CAD drawings
History - Stewart Mayer, Inventor
Stewart Mayer is a filmmaker, turned inventor, turned entrepreneur. After studying engineering and film in college, Stewart began his career as a full-time cinematographer filming nationally syndicated documentaries and television programs. As his vision for making dynamic images advanced, he discovered that the technology he was searching for wasn’t available on a small scale. So, he created his own. Designing special cameras, developing mechanical systems, writing custom software and fabricating all of the parts, Stewart created a motion control time lapse and real time system that made it possible to bring big budget movie effects to the small screen.
It didn’t take long for Stewart’s invention to start getting noticed in the filmmaking community. Producers, directors, and photographers all wanted the portable, versatile, affordable motion control system. And so, in 2008, Stewart turned his prototype into a full-fledged business – camBLOCK. Coincidentally, that’s the last time Stewart has had a legitimate vacation.
Stewart has personally put camBLOCK to use around the world on dozens of projects, including the Emmy Award-winning National Geographic series "Great Migrations"; in the Arctic for the CBC Award-winning "Polar Bears: A Summer Odyssey"; and as the stop motion director of photography for the 2012 Academy Award-winning animated short "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore."
In just five years, camBLOCK has been used across the globe by top filmmakers for the BBC, National Geographic, Discovery Channel, TNT – and even 3D Imax.
Risks and challenges
MATERIALS & DESIGN
Over the past 5 years we have undergone extensive prototyping and testing and our original systems have been successfully used by filmmakers in some of the harshest climates on the planet.
• Relationships have already been established with vendors for components
• Parts are manufactured in-house by skilled technicians on our two CNC machines
Kickstarter funds will allow us to finish our design more rapidly and allow our team to focus our efforts on production. If delays are encountered we will communicate to our backers right away.
Support this project
- (30 days)