Fast-paced space action that combines RPG elements and skill-based gameplay into the perfect multiplayer experience!
Fast-paced space action that combines RPG elements and skill-based gameplay into the perfect multiplayer experience! Read more
Our Kickstarter is now live! We're looking forward to working with all of you to make the best game possible.
Come support us on Steam Greenlight, too!
Want some music from our composer to listen to while you check out the project?
Question of Purpose
Son of the Universe
Redshift is a free-to-play competitive space shooter, similar to Subspace: Continuum and Silent Death Online. Designed to bring back the glory days of gaming with your friends, it provides a high-action, fast-paced experience, combining persistence, RPG elements, and skill-based gameplay into the perfect multiplayer blend.
You play as a fighter pilot, vying for dominance in a war where a single mistake will cost you your life.
Complete objectives, destroy enemy pilots and work with your team to earn experience and money. Purchase new hulls, weapons and components, and piece them together to create your own personalized fighter.
With millions of potential loadouts, covering everything from bio-engineered hulls to quantum relocators and singularity bombs, no two ships will be the same! Create a ship, fit it to your own unique play style, and dominate your enemies on the battlefield.
Redshift is designed to be easy to pick up and play, but very difficult to master. There's plenty of room for every type of player - those that want to sit back, relax, and enjoy a leisurely flight through space, and those that want their enemies to run in fear whenever they show up.
When a new gaming studio is founded, a community is born. A group of fans, followers and players that want to experience something new. Something great.
At Camasa Studios, we realize that community is integral to creating an unforgettable experience. That principle is at the heart of every project we create.
We've realized that, in recent years, games have shifted in design. Many games now decide to make the community surrounding them an afterthought, providing no cohesive connection between players, throwing multiplayer in as a last minute addition, cutting local "couch" gameplay in favour of online-only modes, and giving no thought to the user outside of their gameplay experience.
Playing with others has slowly, over time, become a disconnected experience. Instead of using multiplayer as a way to socialize with friends, connect with people and build a community, other players have simply become another part of the game. A part you gloss over, deal with, and then forget.
We want to bring back the days where you could build memorable experiences with your friends and make new ones in the process. The days where you would sit on the couch next to each other, laughing and yelling as you obliterated Dave for the thousandth time (Pfft, we all know he deserved it).
We've developed Redshift from the ground up with that in mind. Multiplayer and community are core to the experience. To that end, Redshift will be free-to-play, split screen, available on multiple platforms, and provide true cross-platform support, providing numerous game modes that allow cooperative and competitive gameplay in both online or local multiplayer.
We're not just building a game, we're building a community.
Redshift is currently being developed for numerous platforms, and our intent is to make the game as accessible as possible, allowing everyone that wants to play together to do so. We've developed the game from the ground up with cross-platform play in mind, to ensure the console divide won't prevent friends from playing together.
The goal is that, no matter what system you're playing on, you'll always be able to play with your friends. If they're playing on an XBox 360, pick up your Android and hop into the same game!
Our current platform targets are:
- PC, Mac and Linux
- XBox 360
- XBox One
- Playstation 3
- Playstation 4
- Wii U
We are still evaluating other platforms, and are hoping to expand our platform list in the future! Early testing is likely to be focused around the PC, Mac and Linux platforms, but we will expand to the others as soon as possible, and aim to release on all platforms at the same time.
While the platform list is dependent on approval, we have already received approval for Wii U development through Nintendo, and are currently in talks with Sony and Microsoft.
- Free-to-play: We're removing one of the biggest barriers between you and the game – your wallet! Getting into the game is completely free, and we have no plans to include pay-for-power options. Any purchases made will not allow you to gain an unfair advantage over other players, and will simply serve as a way to allow us to bring you more quality content in the future.
- True Cross-Platform Support: Friends playing a game of Redshift on their XBox 360? No problem! Pick up your Android, boot up your copy of Redshift, and hop into the same game as them. Seat open up on the 360? Perfect! Use the same account, pilot and ship you were using, no matter what platform you play on.
- Design your ship: Earn money to purchase new hulls, weapons and parts, all that stay with you permanently, allowing you to build and customize your ship from the ground up. With millions of potential loadouts, each player can customize their ship to fit their own unique gameplay style. Every part has a unique effect on gameplay, meaning that there is no "superior" choices - design your ship based on how you want to play the game, rather than how you need to play the game.
- Train your pilot: Pilot skill and talent trees allow players to further develop a unique style of play, complementing their ship design in ways that set you apart from the rest.
- Designed for all types of players: Action-oriented, skill-based gameplay provides a game that is very easy to learn, but difficult to master.
- Competition and e-Sports: We plan to have prize-driven tournaments, rankings and ladders in place for those who wish to test their skill and compete with others around the world.
- Multiplayer focused: With split-screen and true cross-platform online multiplayer support, you never have to play without your friends! Online game modes are split-screen compatible, so grab a few controllers and get your buddies to join in on the fun.
- Epic battles: Huge teams result in large-scale, epic battles. The Squad system creates organized chaos inside of every battle - fight through the odds with your wingmen to complete objectives and ensure your team's victory.
- Multiple ways to play: With several game modes, each consisting of unique challenges, objectives and gameplay, there will always be something new to try.
- Matchmaking: When playing ranked games, our matchmaking system will ensure that players will always be facing a fair fight - a new player should never have to face the wrath of a veteran pilot.
Create your pilot, outfit your ship, find your teammates (both split screen and online), and you'll be ready to hop into a game. You'll have a choice between several different game modes, described in the Game Modes section below. Each mode provides a unique experience, giving your team a different objective and challenge every time. After picking a mode, split into squads based on the role you want to play in the game. Each squad has a different objective to work towards.
The game itself is played from a bird's eye view, and you control your ship directly. While keyboard and mouse controls play smoothly, the game is ideally played with a controller, allowing you to freely move and aim in any direction with dual analog sticks. Movement is very intuitive and easy to pick up, there are no difficult mechanics to learn before hopping into the game.
Using your reflexes, weapons, and other components (ranging from quantum relocators to cloaking devices, carrier bays and mine fields), work with your squad to complete your assigned objectives and help your team achieve victory!
Every time you kill an enemy pilot or your team completes an objective, your pilot will receive money and experience. Both of these carry over from match to match and can be used to purchase new ships, weapons, shields, engines, and other components, in addition to allowing your pilot to unlock new skills and talents.
Each component has a unique aspect to it. Pulse Lasers fire and travel quickly, but provide low damage. The Tesla Beam does high, continuous damage, but it has a charge and cooldown time, and can latch on to the wrong target if you're not accurate enough. Bio-engineered hulls provide hull regeneration over time, but negate any shielding on the ship.
This means that no one choice of weapon or component will always be the correct one. Instead, players are free to choose the gameplay style they're comfortable with and run with it - you won't be falling behind because you don't have the "latest and greatest" weapon, you'll simply have a different gameplay style.
With millions of potential ship loadouts and numerous skill and talent options, there's no end to unique gameplay opportunities.
In this MOBA-style mode, each team controls a battle station with shields that are completely impervious to your weapons. Your objective is to destroy the opposing team's station. Yes, the one that thinks your weapons feel like a gentle autumn breeze... If battle stations could feel those things.
Sounds impossible? Fear not! Your station will periodically create several waves of AI-controlled fighters, who travel down different paths towards the enemy station. Within each wave is a small escort of defensive fighters and a Juggernaut, a specialized ship carrying an ion cannon capable of disabling the enemy station's shields and weapons.
In order to succeed, you'll need to escort the Juggernaut safely to the enemy station and destroy it while it's shields are disabled, all while ensuring the enemy Juggernauts don't reach your station.
Every time you successfully take down an enemy Juggernaut, you'll receive nanites, which you can use to build defensive turrets, create wingmen to support you, or augment your ship with boosts to various attributes.
In this game mode, a mineral-rich asteroid is located in the middle of the combat zone. Each team has their own battlestation. An automated mining vessel travels from each station to the asteroid, mines some minerals, and then returns to the station to drop off it's cargo.
The objective of the mode is to gather more minerals than the opposing teams. Players must both defend their mining vessel and disrupt the enemy's mining efforts to succeed.
Destroying a mining vessel provides a unique opportunity - any minerals it was carrying will disperse over a small area, allowing allies and enemies alike to load up the cargo to try to return it to their own station. There is a downside, however - your ship is not designed to carry cargo, and any minerals you carry will hamper your mobility. If you die while carrying minerals, they'll be up for grabs again! As such, keeping the mining vessel alive for as long as possible is essential to getting minerals back to your station successfully.
In the Deathmatch game mode, players will fight to the death, earning bounty rewards towards their score for each enemy taken down. Bounties increase significantly for particularly tough players, so be prepared to fight off an army if you're on a kill streak!
In this mode, respawn times are slightly increased, but allies can recover your escape pod to help you respawn faster, providing a unique perk to running in squads, or bringing wingmen with you.
Environmental hazards play a large role in these matches, so be sure to either avoid them or use them to your advantage!
Invasion (Stretch Goal)
In this solo or cooperative mode, you and your teammates must defend your planet at all costs, fighting off waves of AI-controlled alien ships.
Each wave poses a unique threat, containing multiple types of enemy ships, each with different tactics and abilities. At the end of every wave, you'll be pitted against an enemy mothership. With powerful weaponry and advanced ship design, you'll have to fight hard to take it down. Each wave brings a different mothership to your planet's doorstep, so be prepared to fight against anything!
Destroying enemy ships will occasionally supply your team with nanites, allowing you to build allied ships, defenses, or to augment your ship's abilities.
If you are killed during a wave, you cannot respawn until the wave ends - so don't forget to dodge the singularity bomb the enemy mothership just threw at your face!
Completion times and waves survived will be tracked on a ranked ladder, and the top scores will be visible to everyone. Compete with your friends for the best ranking, or play with them to beat everyone else!
Galactic Conquest (Stretch Goal)
Sick of being a mercenary and fighting for whichever side pays more? Try this mode! Pick a faction and join the fight for the galaxy. Each side controls a portion of the known universe, and you will work alongside your allies to expand your faction's borders through any means necessary.
Defend your territory, aggressively expand, and even extend your faction's reach through means other than warfare. Establish trade routes, build colonies, mine resources, construct defenses and outposts, and ensure your faction is the dominant force in the galaxy.
If your actions improve your faction's standing, you'll earn benefits from your faction, earning experience, money and other perks whenever your faction succeeds in a mission - even if you're not online at the time.
We're still evaluating our game modes. We would like to add more modes to the base game (non-stretch goals), and may yet make some tweaks to those already listed here. While we have some ideas in the works, we would love to hear any feedback you may have - feel free to contact us, we'd love to hear from you!
Below are the first public screenshots from Redshift gameplay!
These images are from pre-alpha gameplay. We plan to improve shaders, effects, models and textures before release! In fact, we're still using placeholders in several areas of the game.
The HUD has also been disabled for these screenshots, and we're only showing one environment for now. Expect to see more as our Kickstarter project progresses!
Feel free to check out our website if you're interested in seeing more of our concept art.
There are dozens of ships available in Redshift, each providing a different balance of power and capability. We'll be showcasing every ship individually later, but for those of you that are interested, here's a quick look at the models of the Mining Vessel and some of the earlier ship classes.
Camasa Studios is an independent game development company created from the ground up by industry veterans. While the company is still small, we have a huge amount of experience and knowledge under our belt.
Redshift, our first project, is currently being created by three people.
Up to this point, $60,000 in development on Redshift has been funded out of our own pocket, through contract work and various other means. This has allowed us to keep creative control over the project, ensuring that there are no ulterior motives behind any development decisions. Unfortunately, we've come to a point where we need a larger funding source to get us to the finish line, and Kickstarter gives us a way to find that funding while maintaining independence, ensuring we can develop a game that everyone will enjoy playing.
More importantly, Kickstarter gives us a direct connection to you, our players. Building our community is incredibly important to us, and having a way to communicate with those of you that are interested in the project is a very exciting prospect! We want to develop the game with you. Being able to share the project in it's development phase and getting feedback on development decisions will help us to develop a game that we can all enjoy for years to come.
- Redshift Store Credit: This is a dollar amount that will be credited to your account when the Redshift store launches. The store will contain purchasable cosmetic items and others, but will never contain pay-for-power purchases. The amount in the grid above is the total credited, which may be broken down into smaller chunks depending on the chosen reward.
- Beta Access: Join in on the second phase of testing before launch! The game will be feature complete at this stage, and bug hunting, stress testing and balancing will be the goal of this test. Note that the test may not be available on all platforms immediately.
- Alpha Access: Check out the game in the first phase of testing! The game will be nearly feature complete, but some sections may still be undergoing testing. Be prepared to potentially face some bugs and issues. This test is primarily designed to put the core systems through their paces and clean up major issues before the next phase of testing.
- "Support" Cosmetic Decal: Add a cosmetic decal to your ship showing off your support of Redshift! This decal is exclusive to this campaign, and once the campaign is over, you will no longer be able to get it.
- "Squadron Leader" Icon: Show off your superiority with a "Squadron Leader" icon next to your name! This icon is exclusive to this campaign, and once the campaign is over, you will no longer be able to get it.
- "Wingman" Engine Trail: Cosmetically modify your ship's engine trail! If multiple players with the "Wingman" engine trail fly near each other, their trails will interweave and create a unique effect. Show off your teamwork and coordination in a unique way! This engine trail is exclusive to this campaign, and once the campaign is over, you will no longer be able to get it.
- Redshift Soundtrack and Art Book: Get digital copies of our art book, containing all used and unused concept, development and model work, as well as a digital soundtrack of all the music, used and unused, from Redshift, formed into a musical experience that everyone will enjoy!
- "The Freak Inside" Album: Created by our composer, Thomas-Adam Habuda, this album contains over 160 minutes of extraordinary music. This reward will give you a digital copy of the album to enjoy! You can preview the album here.
- "Predator" Ship Skin: Show off your combat prowess with a full custom ship skin! This predatory skin makes even the simplest of ships look badass. This is exclusive to this Kickstarter campaign, once it's over, you'll no longer be able to get it!
- All Purchasable Cosmetics Permanently Unlocked: All purchasable cosmetic items will be permanently unlocked for your account, you will never have to buy any of them. There may be some non-cosmetic items that are not unlocked.
- Your Likeness as a Pilot Portrait: You, or the person (or pet, or plant, or amorphous blob) of your choice, will have their likeness added to the game as a selectable portrait, usable when anyone creates their pilot!
- Credits in the Game: Your name will be added to the development credits for Redshift. Get recognized for your support, and show it off to the world!
- Customized Clan Logo Decal: Design your own custom decal, usable on any ship hull, that shows off the allegiance to your clan! All of your clan members will have access to the decal you design as well.
- Design a Weapon or Component: Work with us to develop the concept, visual appearance and name of a weapon or component and have it added to the game! Unique ideas more than welcome!
- Design a Ship Hull: Build a ship hull with us from the ground up - from ship specs to design, cost and name, you're in control. Create something truly unique!
- Develop a Game Mode: We're looking for some unique concepts, so if you have one, here's your chance to put it to paper! Work with us to develop a full-fledged game mode and have it added to the final game.
We have some lofty goals for the game above and beyond what we've talked about here. These goals don't fit into our current project budget and timeline, but if we manage to surpass our goal, we would love to make them happen!
Those goals currently are:
- $75,000 - Invasion Mode: This is an entirely new, cooperative-focused game mode! Defend your planet from waves of alien ships, build defenses, augment your ships, recruit wingmen, and do whatever you can to defeat the enemy motherships. Work with your friends to reach the top of the leaderboards! Read more about this stretch goal in the Game Modes section above.
- $100,000 - Galactic Conquest Mode: Another new game mode, this one promotes a much larger form of teamwork. Select one of the factions and fight for control of the known galaxy! Build battlestations, establish trade routes, and fight to the death in territorial wars! Ensure your faction is the dominant force in the galaxy through any means necessary. See the Game Modes section for more information!
- $125,000 - Spectating and Full Replay System: Watch full replays of every game played, from any perspective, or watch the action live! Great way to keep track of tournaments, or to just chat with your friend Dave while he gets obliterated for the thousandth time.
- $150,000 - Real-Money Tournaments: Redshift is a game built with competitive play in mind. We plan to have numerous tournaments with in-game rewards on launch, but if we hit this stretch goal, we plan to expand that to include tournaments with cash prizes! Prove that being the best really DOES pay.
- $175,000 - Additional Ships, Weapons and Components: Expanding our roster of ship hulls, weapons and components is very high on our priority list post-release. We're planning on releasing new content for free as the game progresses. Hitting this stretch goal, however, will allow us to vastly expand the amount of content we have in the game on initial launch!
- $200,000 - Single Player and Cooperative Campaign: Redshift is designed as a multiplayer game, through and through. There is, however, a vast universe and story behind everything going on! We developed the story during the design phase of the game, and hitting this stretch goal will allow us to share it with you! The campaign may be delivered slightly later than initial launch, as we want to take the time to do it properly.
We've talked about community throughout this pitch. While a lot of it will be built when the game and social features are available, we'd love to hear your feedback and have discussions on development direction with all of you before then!
So, if you want to get an inside look into the development process, get progress updates, and help out with development decisions, we would love to have you on our forums! We check them regularly, and will respond to as many posts as we can.
We look forward to chatting with you!
Risks and challenges
Development on Redshift is already well underway, and we expect the rest of the process to go very smoothly!
That being said, every project faces challenges.
While this is our first project as a company, every member of our team has developed and shipped several titles, overcoming many of the issues that commonly plague game development. Each of us is prepared to handle even the most unpredictable of circumstances.
There are some external factors that may delay parts of the project, as we have to receive approval from the appropriate companies to publish on each platform. We have, however, already begun the process, and are doing everything in our power to ensure a smooth delivery on all of our target platforms.
We're invested in this project, and when challenges arise, we'll face them head-on. We're confident we can tackle anything that comes between us, Redshift, and you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)