About this project
Over twenty years ago, White Wolf unveiled Mind’s Eye Theatre. It ushered in an entirely new era of immersive and interactive entertainment, and added a vibrant new dimension to roleplaying games. In 2013, By Night Studios published Mind’s Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade, the first new MET book in years. When we asked our backers, customers, and fans what MET book we should create next, their response was a loud howl for Mind’s Eye Theatre: Werewolf The Apocalypse – and with your help, now they’ll get it!
White Wolf Returns!
In October 2015, Paradox Interactive acquired White Wolf Publishing and the World of Darkness. The newly reborn White Wolf is dedicated to bringing its gritty and mature brand of interactive storytelling to fans new and old. By Night Studios is proud to be White Wolf’s official publisher of Mind’s Eye Theatre products, and we are thrilled to be working with them directly on key elements of the story and metaplot for this book.
Modern Design, Classic Feel
Mind's Eye Theatre: Werewolf The Apocalypse draws on more than two decades' worth of material from the iconic World of Darkness game setting. The rules are designed and adapted specifically for the Live Action Roleplay environment, while honoring the original editions. Modern design methods meet classic feel in our new expression of the game!
So What’s in the Book?
- This is a complete game, containing everything you need to enjoy Werewolf The Apocalypse in one of its most thrilling formats.
- A streamlined character creation system that is quick yet comprehensive.
- A new cinematic yet mathematically-balanced rules system developed specifically to support the story and style of a live action Werewolf: The Apocalypse environment. Our new system is capable of handling everything from one-on-one rank challenges to mass combats involving hundreds of characters.
- An updated story that frames the epic tale of the Garou for the 21st century. We are honored to be working closely with White Wolf’s Lead Storyteller Martin Elricsson to infuse MET: Werewolf with a powerful narrative and mature story that helps usher in the new era of the World of Darkness.
- Dynamic social roleplaying systems for renown, staredowns, and moots.
- Updated and streamlined spirit rules that scale from a gaffling all the way up to the most potent celestine.
- Gorgeous new full-color art that faithfully depicts this savage yet spiritual world.
- Support, guidance, and advice for Storytellers covering everything from how to run engaging scenarios to personalizing your chronicle. Learn to customize your game to give your players the story they want, and how to reflect the sense of noble desperation that marks the early days of The Apocalypse.
- A brand-new Quest system that allows players to quickly create and participate in important story-based quests without complicated rules and with minimal Storyteller supervision.
- All thirteen tribes plus 5 Fera - the Bastet, Ratkin, Corax, Nuwisha, and Gurahl
- If we hit all of our stretch goals, we will add additional Fera to the book - Ajaba, Nagah, Rokea, Ananasi, Mokole, and Kitsune - as well as advanced NPC rules for the Black Spiral Dancers. Help us smash our stretch goals to add more to our already massive book!
Legendary Photographer and Artist Scott Harben Brings the Warriors of the Apocalypse to life like never before!
By Night Studios is thrilled and deeply fortunate to have one of the most skilled cinematic illustrators in the business taking the visual lead on Mind's Eye Theatre: Werewolf The Apocalypse. Few artists are as skilled as Scott Harben when it comes to blending the realistic with the fantastic, and now he's combining this visual authenticity with his long-time love of Werewolf. A world-class photographer, Scott is also a multitalented and accomplished sculptor and digital artist whose work has illustrated the worlds of Star Wars, Marvel Comics, and many others. We are very grateful to Scott for helping bring the Garou to life in a way unlike anything that has been done or seen before!
Our book is approximately 80% developed, and this Mind's Eye Theatre: Werewolf The Apocalypse Kickstarter allows us to complete the development and publication process. We estimate delivery on or before December 2016 for both PDF and Softcover versions of the book, as well as the Hardcover if it is unlocked. We have been working tirelessly for many months to write and test our new product. Now we need your help to publish our book.
The final steps in the process of bringing this book to you are:
- Gamma version playtesting, starting at the Midwinter 2016 Gaming Convention happening this January.
- Final rules adjustments based on Gamma playtest feedback and online feedback on the Gamma packet.
- Final story development, in collaboration with White Wolf.
- Design and layout.
- Final approval from White Wolf.
- Printing and shipping.
Can I Preview the Book?
Yes! Because we want this book to give MET: Werewolf players what they want and need, we have published three rules previews (Alpha, Beta, Gamma), each larger than the last, and each one informed by hundreds of pages of playtester feedback. You can download the latest (Gamma, 400 pages!) by clicking here.
So How Does This Work?
It's very easy! Choose the reward tier you like and you'll receive the reward that matches your contribution. We plan to publish the book as a fully searchable PDF and print-on-demand physical book (softcover and hardcover if funded). We set the project to fund at $70,000 because this is the minimum amount we need to create the PDF and softcover formats. We chose to use stretch goals as a way of creating a hardcover version and more content for backers while keeping the minimum needed to fund the basic book as low as possible. Once the stretch goals are unlocked, more tiers will be made available to backers.
You can change your reward tier level and add-ons at any time until the Kickstarter is completed. This means you will be able to change your book type or order more tribe pins as stretch goals are met. You will not be charged until the Kickstarter is complete on 2/29.
The 5 auspice pins are now unlocked!
We will offer the first-ever MET: Werewolf tribe pins at the same exceptionally high level of manufacturing quality as our popular MET: Vampire The Masquerade clan pins. We use enamel engraving with a special finish to create both depth and true color vibrancy. These will be something you will wear with pride! In addition to the tribes, we will offer a limited selection of Fera pins, all the auspices, and a brand-new design to indicate rank. Tribe pins start unlocking when the Kickstarter funding reaches $72,500. Check out the stretch goals section for more.
To order pins, please follow the "add-on" instructions in the add-on section below. You will need to manually update your pledge amount to include the price of your pins. Tribe pins are $20 each plus shipping - you can order as many as you want! (Check the add-ons section for the prices of shipping and pin packs. The more you buy, the lower the per-pin cost!) You do not have to choose the type of pin when you select your add-on. You will choose the types for your purchased pins upon the completion of our Kickstarter. You will be able to choose from any of the unlocked MET: Werewolf options, listed below, as well as any of the MET: Vampire pins as seen on our site.
- Any MET: VTM pin
- Ragabash pin - AVAILABLE
- Theurge pin - AVAILABLE
- Philodox pin - AVAILABLE
- Galliard pin - AVAILABLE
- Ahroun pin - AVAILABLE
- Silver Fangs pin - AVAILABLE
- Shadow Lords pin - AVAILABLE
- Get of Fenris pin - AVAILABLE
- Glasswalker pin - AVAILABLE
- Bone Gnawer pin - AVAILABLE
- Fianna pin - AVAILABLE
- Black Furies pin - AVAILABLE
- Children of Gaia pin - AVAILABLE
- Silent Striders pin - LOCKED
- Wendigo pin - LOCKED
- Uktena pin - LOCKED
- Stargazers pin - LOCKED
- Red Talons pin - LOCKED
- Black Spiral Dancers pin - LOCKED
- Homid pin - LOCKED
- Lupus pin - LOCKED
- Metis pin - LOCKED
- Gurhal pin - LOCKED
- Bastet pin - LOCKED
- Ratkin pin - LOCKED
- Corax pin - LOCKED
- Nuwisha pin - LOCKED
- Ajaba pin - LOCKED
- Nagah pin - LOCKED
- Mokole pin - LOCKED
- Rokea pin - LOCKED
- Ananasi pin - LOCKED
- Kitsune pin - LOCKED
- Rank 1 pin (Cliath) - LOCKED
- Rank 2 pin (Fostern) - LOCKED
- Rank 3 pin (Adren) - LOCKED
- Rank 4 pin (Athro) - LOCKED
- Rank 5 pin (Elder) - LOCKED
Stretch Goals - Additional Content
Rage and Retribution
One of our stretch goals in an all-new, original supplement for Mind's Eye Theatre: Werewolf The Apocalypse. This book contains all of the materials you'll need to run our Rage & Retribution plotkit (Las Vegas by Night playtest game) for your home chronicle featuring pre-generated characters, detailed plot scenarios, background overviews, and tips and suggestions for Storytellers seeking to integrate this story into their chronicles. English language PDF format only.
We have some add-on items that may be purchased as "a la carte" additions to whatever reward tier you choose to purchase. You must add this to your pledge amount in order to receive your add-on purchase. How do you do that? Follow these quick steps:
- Click the big green "back this project" button.
- Enter the amount you wish to pledge in the green box.
- Select the reward tier of your choice.
- Add the cost of your desired add-ons to the price of your tier.
- Make sure you did your math correctly and include any shipping, if applicable.
Need shipping prices? Check the FAQ below. Any physical books, individual pins, or pin packs (except the complete pack) require shipping.
Please note that a la carte book orders do not include a free PDF. Those are tier rewards only.
The By Night Studios Team humbly and gratefully thanks the following people and organizations without whom this project would not be possible: The By Night Studios Werewolf Development Team (Jason Andrew, Jennifer Smith, Jeffrey Fowler, Jimmy Reckitt, Randy Ochs, Maria Cambone, Jennifer Childs, April Douglas), Ree Soesbee, Kevin Millard, the MET: Werewolf Think Tank, Scott Harben, Dhaunae De Vir, Martin Ericcson, Tobias Sjogren, White Wolf, our tireless playtesters around the world, the cast and crew of our Kickstarter video, Eric Connelly, Neva Connelly, Meredith Gerber, Matt McElroy, DriveThruRPG, Kevin Meier, Seth Thompson, Jessica Dru Johnson, and our wonderful community of LARPers. Music from Bensound. Thank you!
Risks and challenges
Risk: Failure to hit the funding goal.
Solution: Try again! If the project does not reach the minimum funding that is required to publish the book, we are prepared to talk with our backers and the community to learn how we can improve the product.
Risk: International shipping costs divert funding that was intended to cover production costs.
Solution: It’s no secret that shipping costs continue to rise: they rose in 2014 and 2015, and will likely rise in 2016. Previously, we had to estimate international shipping costs based on incomplete information that changed constantly, meaning that costs were often much higher than we could realistically anticipate. Fortunately, Kickstarter has new tools that allow us to be more specific about shipping costs based on country, and these costs will be added to your pledge automatically if you are shipping outside the United States. That will help ensure that shipping costs are estimated more accurately. Any local VAT or similar taxes required by local governments are the responsibility of the backer to pay as and when appropriate; they are not included in our shipping costs.
Risk: Delivering the book by December 2016
Solution: We have learned a lot from our first Kickstarter. Since we funded, we have delivered a total of 7 book products to our backers, and we are applying all that knowledge to this effort. MET: Werewolf is approximately 80% complete, and we are thrilled to be working closely and directly with the Lead Storyteller at White Wolf Publishing to finalize the story elements so that we can deliver the book to you by the anticipated shipping date. But, as with any product or plan, unanticipated delays can happen, and backers need to be aware that they are supporting a production process and not a pre-order system. And, as always, we deliver the finished PDF versions of every book to our backers first, to ease the wait for the physical copies.
Support this project
- (51 days)