We did it! As of May 29th at 1:22pm PST, Mind’s Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade is fully funded! Many thanks to our backers to their support. We still have many exciting stretch goals to achieve. The continued support of backers new and old will allow us to accomplish a whole host of additional goals. Check the stretch goals section below for the full list.
CURRENT STRETCH GOAL: French translation option available for all standard Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade book formats - will unlock at $240,000
RECENTLY UNLOCKED STRETCH GOALS: Brazilian Portuguese translation option available for all standard Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade book formats - now available
Twenty years ago, White Wolf unveiled Mind’s Eye Theatre. It ushered in an entirely new era of immersive and interactive entertainment, and added a vibrant new dimension to roleplaying games. Even though it has been years since a new MET book has been published, legions of dedicated Mind’s Eye Theatre fans around the world are still playing. They have been waiting patiently for an updated version of their favorite Live Action Roleplaying game – and with your help, now they’ll get it!
Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade draws on more than two decades' worth of material from the iconic World of Darkness game setting. The rules are designed and adapted specifically for the Live Action Roleplay environment, while maintaining the fidelity of the original game. Modern design methods meet classic feel in our new expression of the game!
- All the clans. All the bloodlines. All the disciplines. This is a complete game, containing everything you need to enjoy Vampire The Masquerade in one of its most thrilling formats.
- A streamlined character creation system that is quick, yet comprehensive.
- A new cinematic yet mathematically-balanced rules system developed specifically to support the story and style of a live action environment for Vampire The Masquerade.
- Detailed settings for Camarilla, Sabbat, and Anarch games, with custom rules designed to enhance the story of each setting.
- Gorgeous new full-color art that faithfully depicts this dark and decadent world.
- Support, guidance, and advice for Storytellers, covering everything from how to write plots, run engaging scenarios, or personalize a setting for your chronicle. Learn how to manage a chronicle in a world where players want to play 24/7 and to customize your setting for the story you want to tell in your chronicle.
- A brand-new NPC creation system that allows you to quickly create allies and antagonists at the challenge level required for your chronicle.
- A new equipment building system that allows storytellers to quickly recreate any real world item (such as weapons, equipment, and vehicles) required for the chronicle.
This Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade Kickstarter allows us to complete and publish the book. We estimate delivery in December 2013 for the standard book. We have been working tirelessly for many months to write and test our new product. Now we need your help to bring it to life - or "unlife!"
We plan to publish the book as a fully searchable PDF and print-on-demand physical book (softcover and hardcover) and, if we reach our stretch goals, as a beautiful deluxe hardcover edition. And yes - there will be a complete index and no more Page XX!
We have published several rules previews to give our community a taste of what they can expect in the new product. You can view them all by clicking the links below.
- Our core goals and an overview of what you can expect
- The resolution mechanic will still be Rock-Paper-Scissors
- No more Bomb or Win-All-Ties
- Generation Rules changes and Writers Roundtable
- Generation rules preview
- Fan Questions about Generation
- Ventrue "slice" preview
- The "Vertical Slice" Alpha Playtest Packet
It's very easy. Choose the reward tier you like and you'll receive the reward that matches your contribution. Please read the handy column to the right for the full list of pledge levels and rewards. Backers who choose PDF versions will receive them first via coupons from our online sales partner, DriveThruRPG.
We set the project to fund at $60,000 because this is the minimum amount we need to create the PDF, softcover and hardcover formats offered in the current tiers. We chose to use stretch goals as a way to create "bigger and badder" rewards for backers while keeping the minimum need to fund the basic book creation as low as possible. We want to make this book without breaking anyone's bank account to do it!
Please read the "Add-Ons" and "Stretch Goals" sections for information about how to upgrade your reward tier to include a la carte items such as extra copies of the books, dice rings, and clan pins. You can change your reward tier level and add-ons at any time until the Kickstarter is completed. This means you will be able to change to the deluxe tiers, add on additional support PDFs or order more clan pins as these stretch goals are met.
We said CLAN PINS! This was the number one most requested item by far as a Kickstarter reward. We are pleased to announce that not only are we offering clan pins, but we are also offering them at a much higher quality than previously manufactured. These pins will use enamel engraving to create both depth and true color vibrancy. We know clan pins are very important to the LARP community, and we want to make something you will wear with pride.
All of the clan, bloodline and sect pins are now available thanks to YOU! The pins available are:
- Followers of Set
- Blood Brothers
- Daughters of Cacophony
- Harbingers of Skulls
- Salubri Antitribu
- True Brujah
- Children of Osiris
- Noiad clan pin option
- Serpents of the Light
- Assamite Antitribu
- Brujah Antitribu
- Gangrel Antritribu
- Lasombra Antitribu
- Malkavian Antitribu
- Nosferatu Antitribu
- Ravnos Antitribu
- Toreador Antitribu
- Tremere Antitribu
- Ventrue Antritribu
- Sabbat sect pin option
- Camarilla sect pin option
- Anarch sect pin
To order clan pins, please follow the "add-on" instructions in the add-on section below. You will need to manually update your pledge amount to include the price of your clan pins. Clan pins are $20 each - you can order as many as you want! (Check the add-ons section for the prices of pin packs. The more you buy, the lower the per-pin cost!) You do not have to choose the clan of your pin when you select your add-on. You will choose the clans for your purchased pins upon the completion of our Kickstarter. You will be able to chose from any of the 47 available options, listed above.
- Available at launch: Brujah, Gangrel, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, Ventrue, Lasombra, Tzimisce, Assamite Giovanni, Ravnos, and Followers of Set clan pin options
- $62,000 - Baali clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $64,000 - Blood Brothers clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $66,000 - Caitiff clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $68,000 - Daughters of Cacophony clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $70,000 - Gargoyles clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $72,000 - Harbingers of Skulls clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $74,000 - Kiasyd clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $76,000 - Salubri Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $78,000 - Nagaraja clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $80,000 - Blood & Betrayal Booster Bundle (see add-ons section for complete description) - AVAILABLE
- $82,000 - Salubri clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $84,000 - Samedi clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $86,000 - True Brujah clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $88,000 - Ahrimanes clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $90,000 - Deluxe book with leatherette cover only (see the deluxe section for more) - AVAILABLE
- $92,000 - Anda clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $94,000 - Cappadocians clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $96,000 - Children of Osiris clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $98,000 - Lamia clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $100,000 - UNLOCK: all deluxe books will have silver page edges - AVAILABLE
- $102,000 - Lhiannan clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $104,000 - Noiad clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $106,000 - Serpents of the Light clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $108,000 - Assamite Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $110,000 - Storyteller Secrets - Guidance and Advice for MET: VTM Storytellers (see add-ons section for complete description) - AVAILABLE
- $112,000 - Brujah Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $114,000 - Gangrel Antritribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $116,000 - Lasombra Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $118,000 - Malkavian Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $120,000 - UNLOCK: all deluxe books will have black and red sewn-in bookmarks - AVAILABLE
- $122,000 - Nosferatu Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $124,000 - Pander clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $126,000 - Ravnos Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $128,000 - Toreador Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $130,000 - UNLOCK: all deluxe books will have all-new Tim Bradstreet art for all bloodlines - AVAILABLE
- $132,000 - Tremere Antitribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $134,000 - Ventrue Antritribu clan pin option - AVAILABLE
- $136,000 - Sabbat sect pin option - AVAILABLE
- $138,000 - Camarilla sect pin option - AVAILABLE
- $140,000 - Pickering Lythe - An Original MET Vampire the Masquerade Setting in Edwardian London (see add-ons section for complete description) - AVAILABLE
- $142,000 - Anarch sect pin option - AVAILABLE
- $155,000 - UNLOCK: all deluxe books become the "Tim Bradstreet Edition" with every piece of art being an original work by the iconic Vampire: The Masquerade artist, Tim Bradstreet - AVAILABLE
- $180,000 - Spanish translation option available for all standard Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade book formats - AVAILABLE
- $200,000 - Italian translation option available for all standard Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade book formats - AVAILABLE
- $220,000 - Brazilian Portuguese translation option available for all standard Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade book formats - AVAILABLE
- $240,000 - French translation option available for all standard Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade book formats
- $260,000 - German translation option available for all standard Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade book formats
We have a number of add-on items that may be purchased as "a la carte" additions to whatever reward tier you choose to purchase. You must add this to your pledge amount in order to receive your add-on purchase. How do you do that? Follow these quick steps:
- Click the big green "back this project" button
- Enter the amount you wish to pledge in the green box
- Select the reward tier of your choice
- Make sure you did your math correctly and include any international shipping, if applicable.
Available "a la carte" add ons:
+$15 CritSuccess Rock-Paper-Scissors ring (black, size 10 only) [add $5 per ring for overseas shipping]
+$20 Blood & Betrayal Booster Pack (stretch goal reached - AVAILABLE) This booster pack contains all of the materials you'll need to run our Blood & Betrayal plotkit (L.A. by Night premiere game) for your home chronicle featuring pre-generated characters, detailed plot scenarios, background overviews, and tips and suggestions for Storytellers seeking to integrate this story into their chronicles. English language PDF format only. (available after L.A. by Night)
+$20 Storyteller Secrets (stretch goal reached - AVAILABLE). A collection of original essays, guidance, design notes, advice, suggestions, and, yes, secrets that will help Storytellers get the most out their Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade games. English language PDF format only.
+$20 Pickering Lythe by Night, a Haunted Edwardian Era setting (stretch goal reached - AVAILABLE). Noble families with ancient lineages rule this gilded age. The vampires seek shelter in powerful mortal houses to endure the tumult of world-shaking events. It is whispered that this little community in Yorkshire contains a secret that dates back to the Roman occupation of Great Britain and the terror that chased them from these shores. This complete setting provides all the background, special rules, NPCs, and information you'll need to stage stylishly decadent LARPs in the spirit of Downton Abbey. English language PDF format only.
+$20 Clan Pin of your choice You can order as many clan pins as you want at $20 each. You do not have to choose your clans until after our Kickstarter is completed. Available clan pin options are based on achieving stretch goals, as outlined in the Stretch Goal section (above). International shipping is $5 per 10 pins ordered.
Pin Packs! We know there are a lot of fans who want to purchase more than one pin. The following pin packs are available for those of you who want multiple pins of your choosing:
- 5 pins = $95 ($19/pin) [add $5 for overseas shipping]
- 10 pins = $180 ($18/pin) [add $5 for overseas shipping]
- 15 pins = $255 ($17/pin) [add $10 for overseas shipping]
- 20 pins = $320 ($16/pin) [add $10 for overseas shipping]
- 30 pins = $450 ($15/pin) [add $20 for overseas shipping]
If you want to order an odd number - such as 13 pins or 47 pins - please refer to the per pin price listed next to the appropriately numbered pack.
Theme pin packs! Now that all of the pin stretch goals are unlocked, we have made certain "themed pin sets" available. These are not mix-n-match. If you want to choose your clans, please use the Pin Pack pricing above. Add-on packs do not include Fledgling rewards. Available themed sets are:
- CAMARILLA PIN PACK = $195 [add $10 for overseas shipping] - You will receive one of each of the following pins: Gargoyle, Followers of Set, Assamite, Brujah, Gangrel, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, Ventrue, Lasombra Antitribu, Caitiff and the Camarilla sect symbol.
- GREAT CLANS PIN PACK = $195 [add $10 for overseas shipping] - You will receive one of each of the following pins: Brujah, Gangrel, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, Ventrue, Lasombra, Tzimisce, Assamite, Giovanni, Ravnos, and Followers of Set.
- SABBAT CLAN AND SECT PIN PACK = $225 [add $10 for overseas shipping] - (pun intended) You will receive one of each of the following pins: Blood Brothers, Kiasyd, Salubri Antitribu, Serpents of the Light, Assamite Antitribu, Brujah Antitribu, Gangrel Antitribu, Lasombra, Malkavian Antitribu, Nosferatu Antitribu, Pander, Ravnos Antitribu, Toreador Antitribu, Tzimisce, Ventrue Antitribu, and a Sabbat sect symbol.
- BLOODLINE PIN PACK= $270 [add $10 for overseas shipping] - You will receive one of each of the following pins: Baali, Blood Brothers, Daughters of Cacophony, Gargoyles, Harbingers of Skulls, Kiaysd, Nagaraja, Salubri, Salubri Antitribu, Samedi, True Brujah, Ahrimanes, Anda, Cappadocians, Children of Osiris, Lamia, Lhiannan, Noiad.
- COMPLETE PIN SET= $658 [add $20 for overseas shipping] - This is the perfect tier for the pin collectors. You will get one of each of the 47 pins created for this Kickstarter.
You can also add on individual copies of Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade to any pledge that is already shipping a physical book by manually adding the appropriate amount to your contribution. For international orders, please reference the reward tiers and include the appropriate shipping amount as well.
+$35 Softcover (add $20 for overseas shipping)
+$60 Hardcover (add $20 for overseas shipping)
+$120 Deluxe (add $40 for overseas shipping)
Reminder: please manually enter in the correct total amount. Add the value of your base reward to the value of your add-ons, and enter that total amount. It is not calculated automatically.
THIS STRETCH GOAL HAS BEEN REACHED! New Deluxe tiers added. Thank you!
Nothing says "Vampire" more than black leatherette covers and great art from Tim Bradstreet! (Unless someone figures out how to print a book entirely on pages made of blood...) We want to go beyond any book every created for Mind's Eye Theatre and create a completely unique Deluxe edition. We have enabled this format as a series of stretch goals and unlocks. But what does that mean?
The Deluxe edition reward tiers have been unlocked! (Including the Caine Package, if you're wondering where his name is in our reward tiers). We have hit all stretch goals for the Deluxe. It will have a black leatherette cover, silver-edge pages, and sewn-in fabric bookmarks. We're excited to say that it will official be named the "Tim Bradstreet Edition". This means that it will feature the 13 Great Clan images from V20 as well as 27 all-new Bradstreet pieces for the included bloodlines and sects. Simply put, every piece of art in the Deluxe will be a Tim Bradstreet original.
The By Night Studios Team has had a lot of help from a wide variety of personal and professional friends. We humbly want to thank our amazing development team, Jamais Vu, Tim Bradstreet, Craig Grant, Dhaunae De Vir, Reynir Hardarson and CCP, Ryan Dancy, Sypher Studios, Matt Dannevik, the playtesters around the world, the cast and crew of our Kickstarter video, the Queen Mary staff and - most importantly - the fans! Without your tireless love and dedication, we wouldn't be here. Thank you!
Risks and challenges
RISK: Failure to hit the funding goal
PROBLEM: Without our minimum funding goal, we cannot make our new version of Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire The Masquerade. We need your help to make this a reality
SOLUTION: Try, try again! If this Kickstarter doesn't hit it's goal, we are prepared to talk with our community about how to improve the project and try again
RISK: International Shipping
PROBLEM: International Shipping is costly and highly variable. Since the books are not yet created, getting an exact shipping cost is impossible. Additionally, importing to countries like Brazil is very difficult.
SOLUTION: We have worked with our shipping partners to create the most reasonable and cost-correct international shipping estimates possible, using data estimates around book weight and projected shipping prices.
RISK: Delivering the standard book by December 2013
PROBLEM: Though we are ahead of our projected production schedule, this schedule is still very tight. If we experience significant delays during final testing, layout, or shipping, we may deliver the book in early 2014
SOLUTION: Use modern technology to keep us on track. We have frequent (weekly or more) staff calls to discuss and overcome hurdles. The development team is using an agile Scrum method to write, edit and test the book. We are doing everything in our power to release this book in December.
- (45 days)