The design of audio jacks found in modern headphones dates back to 1876. It is by no means a bad design, but at JackSavior, we feel that an update is long overdue. Audio jacks break frequent between the wires and the plug. By connecting the wires inside the plug, we make smaller, flexible and stronger audio jacks. This prevents any external forces from touching the connection, preventing jack, plug, and ultimately, headphone failure. In yellow the JackSavior plug:
Big headphone brands can also benefit from the JackSavior audio jack: It is cheaper to manufacture and easier to automate. However, these brands do not want to listen. Apparently, no manager is interested in preventing failure problems for their customers. Therefore, we need YOU to help show that we demand a smaller, flexible and stronger audio jack!
What we offer you
Back this project and be the first with JackSavior technology! We have a couple of premium quality products for you with the JackSavior plug, delivered directly from the best factory in the world:
- The First - Premium stereo earbuds. Photo below is from original product, our product will include the JackSavior audio jack.
- The Master - Premium headphones with detachable JackSavior connector cable.
- Connector - 1.5m. (60in.) 3.5mm male-male connection cable with two JackSavior plugs.
- Adapter - 10cm. (4in.) 3.5mm female-male adapter for everyone who already has a premium headphone.
The Master headphone is a very high quality product and we want to tell you a little bit more about it. It is a detachable on-ear headphone with 44mm handmade dynamic coil drivers and that is exactly what you hear. The audio quality is exceptional clear and has a great range of tones. The pledge will include the Master Headphone, JackSavior male-male connector and a male-male connector with mic, but without JackSavior plug. For everybody that still wants to be able to use the call feature. It furthermore has a 'Listen Along' feature that enables you to share your music with the person next to you!
Testing at the factory
The factory we are working with is the lead supplier of many well know premium brands. The parts of 'The Master' headphones and 'The First' earbuds are made with so called 'open tooling', which we do not have to pay for. We selected the highest quality drivers and parts, which enabled us to give you premium quality for a low price. Last year we traveled multiple times to the factory to develop, prototype and test the JackSavior audio jacks extensively.
With our current rapid prototyping tooling we can make small batches, but with your help we can make proper tooling to start mass production.
We can do more crazy colors and variations on the products when we hit more backers, we have some cool stuff in mind and want to finalize this decision after the collection of the funds. We will start manufacturing and will ship the products in December, before Christmas. We know we can deliver on our promise because we already have the partnership with the factory.
Let's push the campaign a little further! The idea is not to get more money, but to gain more backers and spread out innovation even more. We will re-open the Early Bird "The First" €20 deal. When we hit 350, we will include a free earbud travel pouch with every earbud pledge. If we continue growing, we will add an extra reward for when we reach 450 backers!
Intellectual Property (IP)
JackSavior currently owns two patents:
- An "International" (PCT) patent pending. It describes the technical details of the connection inside the plug. Not published yet.
- An "International" (PCT) published patent with multiple countries granted. It describes the connection of two or more connections inside the embodiment of the insertion member, i.e. the plug. It can be found by clicking on the image below:
For a better world
Our audio jack does not only have multiple design and technical advantages; it also brings long-term environmental benefits:
- Increase of factory workers well-being: There is less soldering involved, reducing the hazardous fumes that are known to cause cancer with soldering employees.
- Materials reduction: Because of its smaller size, our audio jack saves more than 50% of the material required for making ordinary audio jacks.
- Increased products lifespan: By increasing the lifespan of all headphones, the demand for more natural resources in order to make new headphones will decrease.
Who is JackSavior?
Hi, I am Bouwy, founder of JackSavior. Some years ago, during my Mechanical Engineering studies at the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, I had the idea to improve upon the 3.5 mm audio jack. When I realized that I had to discuss my design ideas with potential customers, I founded JackSavior.
I quickly started prototyping with the help of fellow students and later on found advisers with expertise in the field of audio consumer electronics. With their help, we contacted the best acoustics factory and supplier of most premium headphones brands. An investor was brought in later to finance this first development phase.
Last year I spent a lot of time working in the factory together with local engineers to make the manufacturing possible. We are now at the point where we need to start producing the proper tooling for mass manufacturing. Besides working at the factory, I had discussions with the largest headphone brands for product implementation. However, the managers of these companies did not seem interested in preventing audio jack failure. So this is where you come in: Let’s show these companies that there is a demand for a better audio jack. Let’s persuade them to adopt our technology. With JackSavior, we will extend the lifespan of all audio jacks and headphones all over the world!
Future of JackSavior
We finished the so called 3.5mm (1/8in.) Tip Ring Sleeve (TRS). But there is more to innovate. We already started two other products:
- 3.5mm (1/8in.) TRRS plug - for headsets with microphone
- 6.35 (1/4in.) TRS plug - for pro audio / DJ gear.
Below are three (NOT JACKSAVIOR) plugs that can be fitted with the JackSavior technology in the future, from left to right:
- 3.5mm (1/8in.) TRRS plug - for heasets with mic
- 3.5mm (1/8in.) TRS incl. thread - for example DJ headphones
- 6.35mm (1/8in.) TRRRS - for example military communication systems
Spread the word about JackSavior
Plug and Unplug
Someone asked if it is hard to plug and unplug. To demonstrate the finger holding area and the unplugging by pulling we made the following gif. It is however still possible to pull out the audio jack on the flexible part of the jack, i.e. the finger holding area.
Risks and challenges
Failing to create the proper tooling for mass production is the main reason why many Kickstarter projects fail to deliver on time. However, last year we spent a lot of time prototyping, testing and developing the plug right down at the factory. Furthermore, the tooling for the rest of the headphones is readily available. This is also the reason why we can supply you with premium quality products for a low price. Because of our already excellent relations with our partner supplier, we can safely say that we will not fail to deliver on time.
However, any problems that we might encounter will be communicated directly with our backer community.
- (34 days)