Dragons Conquer America Season 1: The Dawn of a New World (Canceled)
Feathered serpents, dragons, magic and epic battles await you in this new RPG. Discover the New World and Change the Course of History!
Dragons Conquer America is a tabletop role playing game that grabs the best of our award-winning RPC Engine and it carries it back in time to a fantasy-imbued iteration of the 16th Century, a living, breathing world full of mythological beasts, powerful magic and, of course, dragons.
We want to create this New World hand in hand with you. In Dragons Conquer America, each book will affect the next through your actions. During the first Season, entitled The Dawn of a New World, you’ll be able to experience the first two Episodes of the setting.
Each one focuses on a different side of the epic clash between the Spanish and the Aztecs, and through them you’ll be able to rewrite history. The two campaigns contained in this book are full of action, intrigue, magic, and mystique.
Inspired by alternate reality novels such as American Gods and Temeraire and epic fantasy sagas like A Song of Ice and Fire, the game focuses on the physical and metaphorical exploration of the darkne∂ss in order to fight both the outer and inner demons of the world.
This campaign will help fund the creation of the setting's first book, a 300 page-long tome entitled Dragons Conquer America: The Dawn of a New World. This is a two-part origin-story of a pivotal point in the setting's history, the clash between European and Mesoamerican cultures.
Before you go on, we encourage you to try out the free Quickstart PDF of the setting, in which you can appreciate the multi-layered mechanic, the stunning artwork and fantastic graphic design. You can find it on drivethruRPG.
Like what you see? With your help we'll produce Dragons Conquer America: The Dawn of a New World that will take you on a wild ride through the origin stories of this setting, letting you play out the adventures that will eventually become legendary and world-changing.
The Lands of Earth are full of superstition and religious warfare; the conflict between the forces of humanity and evil creatures is seemingly unending. For millennia, civilizations have been vassals to monsters to whom they sacrificed their children and their livelihoods.
In Europe, it wasn’t until the Romans that the continent became a land of the living; even then, as soon as this mighty Empire fell creatures thought dead surfaced again. The Christian Faith prospered against all odds, and it was with Saint George that it managed to gain back the reigns of the continent: dragons, before the worst enemies of civilization, were now its mightiest weapon.
In America, the Mexica - one of the mightiest civilizations in the planet - have ruled over the land of the Fifth Sun unchallenged for nearly a hundred years, striking fear in the hearts of their enemies thanks to the divine power of their priests and the help of their Mixcoatl dragon allies, which terrorise and astonish the peoples under Mexica domain.
However, yet again, the World is about to change.
The discovery of the New World is a call that European rulers cannot refuse to heed, and through the Undying Catholic Monarchs of the Kingdoms of Castile and Aragon it aims to convert a whole continent - the biggest challenge any religion had undertaken to date. They expect a landslide victory, but the opposition they will face will be mighty.
It is in this context that the events of Dragons Conquer America: The Dawn of a New World take place. The thunder of war is around the corner...
The book we are funding through this Kickstarter is entitled Dragons Conquer America - Season 1: The Dawn of a New World. This tome will lay the foundation of the setting; you will effectively be the pioneers of a New World and the actions you take in this game will create the groundwork for future seasons of the setting.
The two episodes featured in the book will allow you to live this epic clash between civilization from the perspectives of both sides, Native Americans and Spaniards. It also includes the core rules so that you can play your own adventures.
The clash between the European and Mexica civilizations will have a profound effect in the World of Dragons Conquer America, and we want you to be an integral part of it from the very beginning.
This book contains two multi-part ready-to-play episodes told from opposing sides of the clash, one from the American side of the clash, and the other from the Spanish point of view.
Here's our proposal: every action you make and every choice you take using The Dawn of a New World will shape the setting of Dragons Conquer America.
We will assign a value (positive or negative) to certain events. The aggregated results of all player's games will shape the future core book of the setting.
Let's summarize the various points:
- DCA: The Dawn of a New World features the first two Episodes of this saga.
- The book also includes the core rules, the pre-gen characters, NPCs and items you need to play it.
- Each Episode will last around 8 sessions.
- The episodes offer forking paths and multiple options.
- The endings you reach will depend on your previous actions and will shape Season 2 of the game.
Intrigued? Look below to discover what you are about to experience...
The fantasy world of DCA means that the power balance is very different to that in real life - American cultures have very powerful allies in the shape of Feathered Serpents and more. Thus, the events will not mimic the real world.
Dragons Conquer America is powered by the RPCEngine, a narrative-first, tactically engaging system. The gameplay is agile, organic and versatile, and rewards effort instead of luck.
With our latest update, RPCEngine allows for both dice-based and card-based gameplay, making it a comprehensive system for all tastes. Do dice hate you and you want even odds, hand control and beautiful cards? Or do you prefer to take your chances with the Goddess of Fortune and you wouldn't change your amazing dice for anything? Each member of your group can choose what they prefer to use, so it's entirely up to you!
Check out the gameplay video below with the folks at Encounter Roleplay to see how it works in action, using the card-based solution.
(Jump to 21m50s to cut straight to the chase.)
Once you select your preferred method and you get ready for adventuring, here are a few more things you should know:
CONFRONTATIONS: actions in DCA are resolved through confrontations between characters (or characters against terrible odds), in which counteractions can also be active attacks (the best defense is a good offense!) making the gameplay fluid, dangerous and always moving forwards!
HIDDEN CHECKS: a hidden check mechanic determines when to provide new information to players and when their senses will fail them. In a world full of magic, deceit, traps and hidden treasures many things are kept in the dark...
TOLERANCE AND PREJUDICES: We want your characters to feel like they belong to this harsh era of conflict and conquest, so they'll be flawed, prejudiced and superstitious. At times, your own shortcomings will be your toughest enemies. A Tolerance and Discipline mechanic will sometimes take your character into dangerous situations but other times it will empower you to be your best self and to control your situation.
MAGIC AND CORRUPTION: Of course, in a world where Dragons and mythical beings are real, magic is a powerful - and dangerous - tool. The magic system is based in a Spirit vs Corruption mechanic in which your faith will allow you to tap into magic powers through divine intervention. But if you overreach - thinking yourself holier or more powerful than you truly are -, you might instead tap into forbidden and demonic power sources that will trick you down a spiral of evilness and corruption, until they take complete control over your darkened soul.
Now, try it for yourself; download the free starter scenario:
Dragons Conquer America Season 1: The Dawn of a New World includes eight pregenerated characters, four for each of the Episodes, including their backstory, character sheet, and a full page character illustration.
Characters in DCA are much more than a set of skill values and talents. They have traits and prejudices that will shape complex personalities, and we hope that through roleplaying them, you will be able to understand the complexities of this era a lot better, and even question your own assumptions and beliefs.
The book includes all the non-player characters (over 30 unique characters!) you will need to run Episodes I and II, listing all their stats, special abilities, and illustrations.
In DCA, NPCs follow similar rules to player characters, but they are simplified to streamline your encounters. You can use their special skills and/or NPC keywords to add layers of complexity to your encounters depending on your needs, or keep them simple when you just need to resolve a situation swiftly.
Last but not least, Season 1: The Dawn of a New World includes all the gear you will need to run Episodes I and II, from weapons and armours to drugs, relics, and all kinds of equipment.
Many of these items will deteriorate with use, and taking good care of your equipment will be integral to survive in the jungles of Mesoamerica. Spears break, swords get dull, and armors rip using a simple but interesting deterioration system based on a track with different effects througout the use of each item.
- "DCA positions itself as a narrative-first game that offers just enough mechanical granularity to remain tactically engaging." -- Dylan C., DrivethruRPG
- "I have to say, given that I only had access to the Preview Episode Zero, I was quite impressed. The setting is interesting. The system encourages player agency, and you have to love the artwork. And, the final comment at this stage. Players that run Episode Zero, The Coatli Stone, who then feedback their results to Burning Games are helping generate the game world. I love that community spirited-ness." -- John Sharp, It's More than Just Gaming
- "Simply put, these lavish depictions of Aztec society might be the best art in the business. All you need do is look through the pages of this PDF and you will instantly be sent into the wilds of the Aztec Empire, hear the clanking of Spanish armor, and smell the pyrrhic breath of dragons flying overhead. There is no overselling how beautiful and thematic these pieces are." -- Gaming Trend
- "The game shows both sides of this conflict with historical references, and is written by parties on both “sides” of the conflict (writers and producers are from both Mexico and Spain); we don’t get that “savage” feel promoted in the work that we see in others. I’m also a fan of it being historic fantasy with that spark of hope of changing history." -- LibrariaNPC, Sticky Bunton
- "Dragons Conquer America is an ambitious mix of history and fantasy, using a proven RPG engine to guide your path to adventure." -- Maurice Fitzgerald, Moe's Game Table
Note: the quotes below have been submitted by private message by various members of the RPG media community and playtesters. Reviews, news and actual plays are to follow during the Kickstarter.
- "DCA has a uniquely intriguing world and mechanics which stand toe-to-toe with the best RPGs out there today. It's infinitely playable and enjoyable to experience for both beginners & veterans!" -- Will Jones, Encounter Roleplay
- "[The Starter PDF is] an awesome preview adventure grounded in real history, yet subtly altered to introduce magic. This game made me seriously consider the roles of both coloniser and the colonised, gave some interesting moral dilemas and was brilliant fun throughout. I love both resolution methods. Cards give you the ebb and flow of luck, and allow for longer term tactical decisions. Dice were marginally faster, and the uncertainty gave a greater feeling of excitement. And the art. Wow. Well done, Great product!"-- Whirlmeister, playtester
- "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition - with Dragons!" -- Nevyn87, playtester
- "Dragons Conquer America is innovative, engaging - and very well written!" - David Crennen, Saving Throw
- ''Historical and Magical. Colonial and Native. Thoughtful and Immersive. Plus, dragons. I like what I am seeing here; I want to see more!'' -- Antonios S, RPG.net
- "Dragons Conquer America looks to be an impressive follow up to FAITH from Burning Games. I’m a fan of card based mechanics that allow you choose how much effort you put toward a task and am happy to see this ported over from FAITH, but the inclusion of a dice based alternative is a great idea. The setting is unlike any I’ve seen before and I’m looking forward to giving this game a Trial for our show in the near future." -- Michael, The RPG Academy
- "The creators of FAITH are Delving into a Fantastical take on the 16th century. Filled with Myth, Magic & Dragons! The New Take on the RPC system is fast and fluent & the relationship between Magic and Religion is a natural fit." -- Shane, Runkle Plays Games
If you wish to include any add-ons in your pledge, please follow the steps below:
- Click «Manage my pledge» near the top right corner of the page.
- Add the amount corresponding to your add-on(s). You don't need to change your reward tier; just edit the amount you are pledging to account for the price of the add-ons you want.
- When we send you the codes for our pledge manager, you will be able to select exactly which add-ons you want.
Dragons Conquer America is a living, breathing setting. This means that each Season will affect the following one through your actions.
We will enable a section of our website to collect your results after you finish playing each of the Episodes, and using an average of everyone's results, we will determine what actually happened and how that affects the setting and the course of the next Season.
However, you don't need to wait until you receive Season 1 to see the living world in action. If you have played through Episode 0: the Coatli Stone, or manage to play before this Kickstarter campaign ends, you can submit your results right here, right now!
Taking into account our past experience and because this campaign has quite a few add-ons, we will be charging for shipping through our pledge manager after the Kickstarter campaign concludes based on its actual costs. We want to be fair to all our backers, and charge as little as possible to each of you.
We will ship the games to our fulfillment centres in the US and the EU at our cost, and you will receive your reward from one or the other depending on where you are in the world. Find below the approximate cost of shipping to your country if you pledge for a single book:
- USA: €8
- Western EU (Austria, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden, Spain, United Kingdom): €13
- Eastern EU (Bulgaria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Malta, Romania, Slovenia): €16
- Rest of the World: €25
- SPIEL Pickup: free (please note that our expected delivery date is a lot earlier than Spiel next year, but if you want to pick it up at the fair you still have that option).
Our pledge to you is to not charge you more than what is stated above in EUROS for a single copy. If the costs end up being higher, we'll pay for the difference, and if they are smaller you'll get to save a few bucks, which is always nice. Please keep in mind if you pledge for additional copies or many add-ons, the final shipping costs will end up being a little higher.
Risks and challenges
This is our fifth Kickstarter project as a company after successfully delivering Faith: the Sci-Fi RPG, FAITH: A Garden in Hell, and Ether Wars. Our fourth project, the FAITH Core Book is now about to begin shipping to our backers and we always have a member of the team fully dedicated to oversee the fulfillment of the project.
We are prepared to deliver a quality game again. We know many things we should do again, and more importantly, plenty of mistakes we shouldn't repeat.
Dragons Conquer America: The Dawn of a New World is being developed right now in order to minimize waiting time after a (hopefully) successful Kickstarter. We have a talented team of artists lined up to finish it as soon as we fund, and for that, we need your help.
As with any other printed product that needs to be shipped, there are always delays that might happen, whether they happen during the manufacturing, freight, customs clearance or final shipping.
However, we have done our best to ensure a minimal risk and we will continue to do so until this project is finished and your rewards are delivered to your doorsteps.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)