The world's smallest case for the iPhone. Get Bumprz!
The world's smallest case for the iPhone. Get Bumprz!
Have a beautiful phone and an ugly case. Get Bumprz today! 4 perfect metal bumpers that protect your screen.
Have a beautiful phone and an ugly case. Get Bumprz today! 4 perfect metal bumpers that protect your screen. Read more
Thanks for your support. Stay tuned for more to come from Case of Steel.
In the Press
After successfully funding our first Kickstarter for the original Bumprz, we are introducing Bumprz 2 for iPhone 6 family (including 6S, 6 Plus, 6S Plus).
Here is our first Kickstarter video. It falls a bit to traditional. We think the one above shows everything you should care about.
1. Put on Bumprz.
2. Phone drops.
3. Phones survives.
Repeat 2 & 3. (PS. Jeff's video below is a bit more informative.)
We commonly get asked, “What are Bumprz?”. Simply put, they are common sense. Phones mostly fall on their corners. So we put 4 great looking metal Bumprz on your iPhone 6 to save your screen. And your phone still looks great. Common sense? We think so. Select a discounted reward to bring Bumprz to your phone.
Bumprz are bare, bold, beautiful and best of all... breakproof*. They are not like any other case out there. The are 4 perfectly slim metal corners that protect your phone from the drops and falls of day-to-day life. They are the anti-case.
Customers love Bumprz
How are Bumprz Made?
Bumprz are 4 stainless steel metal corners made to tight tolerances that are put on your phone with 3M VHB (Very High Bond) adhesive. The adhesive is pre-applied to Bumprz and all you do is simply a) wipe clean your phone, b) peel the the back off the tape, and c) stick on your phone.
What is the Bumprz story?
Bumprz vs Bumprz 2
- We dramatically improved the adhesive. We removed the adhesive from the screen since the fingerprint coating makes it nearly impossible to get a strong bond there, and then we doubled the adhesive thickness on the sides. This creates a much stronger bond than before. The thicker adhesive also compensates for slight variance in tolerances.
- We made the part even thinner. The new Bumprz are a small 0.6mm thick.
- The edge is much softer all around. This prevents snags when pulling out of pockets and purses.
- We made Bumprz with tighter tolerances. The closer we match the phone's radii, the better bond we get with the adhesive.
- We also had a few assembly issues that caused plenty of challenges. For example, the gold Bumprz did not have the machining oil properly cleaned off. And this caused mass failure of the gold parts. In a similar fashion, the black oxide finish sometimes had build up on the edge where the tool held the part when dipped in the chemical bath. This build up prevented the adhesive from making a strong and lasting bond.
Q & A
How do I put Bumprz on the phone? Bumprz use a double sided 3M adhesive tape and it is as simple as "clean, dry and apply" your Bumprz.
What happens if I lose a Bumpr? Simple. Just go to our site and get a free replacement. Simply pay the shipping and handling ($1 at the time of this campaign.)
What finishes do Bumprz come in and for what phones? Bumprz are available in silver, gold and black. We are considering white, so let us know what you think. Bumprz 2 are made for the iPhone 6 family – 6 and 6 Plus, and the S variants of these.
Can I take Bumprz off? - You can. Simply push off the phone starting from the screen. After that you can use your finger to clean off the adhesive that is typically left on the phone. Just like above, you will need to get a replacement set to put them back on. Again, a full set is provided at the cost of shipping and handling ($5 at the time of this campaign.)
Do Bumprz protect the back of my phone? - No, they do not. They wrap around just enough on the front to give protection to the screen, which is the most vulnerable breaking point. Our design goal was to provide screen protection plus be very minimal. Bumprz are not concerned about the back of your phone because the back is not as critical and less likely to be broken. While other cases to protect the back, we feel the cost in terms of bulk and (lack of) beauty is too high. Plus Apple frowns upon coving the back with metal for reception reasons.
How do Bumprz compare to other cases? Simply look for yourself. They don't really compare. Nothing compares. Even Apple's cases get beat up after some months of use. Bumprz survives like an amazing Case of Steel.
What is the inspiration behind Bumprz? Jeff does a great job of telling the story in this short video. Check it out!
Who are we?
We started Case of Steel about a year and half ago and made Bumprz for the iPhone 5, launching a successful Kickstarter in the process. Since then we have delivered many thousands of Bumprz to fans and customers. We know how to make products, improve those products, and get them delivered.
Timeline and Production
Thanks for your time and support!
You will love the new Bumprz, Matt and Jeff
Track the project's progress with KickTrak
* Phones can still break with Bumprz on them. We don't advocate tossing and dropping your phone. We drop phones to test the product and show our confidence in it. We have had customers whose phones have broken with Bumprz on them. A drop on the face of the phone is hard to save.
Risks and challenges
Our biggest obstacle will be in meeting our production timeline. The production lifecycle easily gets pushed out in the name of a better product. We need to make sure each step of the project is carried out as planned and only take delays when necessary.
The iPhone 6 Plus family needs to be finalized, but we don't expect any challenges here do to the very similar nature to the iPhone 6 and we have great product for the iPhone 6.
Bumprz 2 requires a new manufacturing process for the parts so there could be unforeseen challenges here.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (43 days)