Missed the Kickstarter campaign? You can now Order And Play Space Haven by visiting the Bugbyte Store! Go here: http://bugbyte.fi/store
If you have questions you can mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We cannot thank each of you enough for having backed us and given us your trust. We don't take that for granted and we're here to create a great game for you to the best of our abilities.
What follows is the original Kickstarter campaign description. Finished Kickstarter projects cannot be edited, so this information will fall out of date over time. For the latest, go to: http://bugbyte.fi/spacehaven
Embark on a space voyage with your ragtag crew of civilians in search of a new home. Build spaceships tile by tile, create optimal gas conditions, manage the needs and moods of their crew, encounter other space-faring groups, and explore the universe in this spaceship colony sim for Windows, Mac, Linux.
Space Haven combines the emergent story telling components of RimWorld with a tile-based gas-simulation system seen in Oxygen Not Included.
Want to be a pirate and attack and steal from anyone you meet? Maybe you want to be a slave trader and capture crew members from other factions and sell them on the market? You could be a notorious alien hunter, fighting aliens aboard derelict ships and scavenging their meat. Or perhaps you're the good guy fighting pirates and helping civilians? Space Haven aims to give you the freedom to role play.
- Customize - Complete freedom to build a spaceship or station of your own desire. Place every piece of ship hull, wall, door and facility wherever you want.
- Functional - All facilities serve a purpose. Crew members will sleep in beds, use toilets, be disturbed by a noisy room and praise you for an arcade machine.
A functional spaceship can be built tile-by tile, giving you the opportunity to shape a spaceship of your own desire. It can be symmetric and streamlined, or an asymmetrical whimsical looking thing. It does not have to look like a conventional spaceship depicted in sci-fi literature, you are free to design your own, the choice is yours!
- Oxygen and CO2 - Keep optimal Oxygen and CO2 levels by building life support modules for your crew members.
- Hazardous gases - Certain facilities and explosions can release hazardous gases. Build scrubbers to purify the air.
- Temperature and power - Build thermal regulators to maintain an ideal temperature for your crew. Build power nodes and set up power distribution throughout the ship.
- Comfort - Building a bed right next to the ship core will disturb sleep. Design your ship for crew comfort.
The isometric tile-based gas system simulates various gases, temperature and crew comfort on your spaceship. Humans, plants and facilities react to the conditions surrounding them, giving meaning to how you design your ship and the living conditions you create. Secure facilities, optimize crew survival and well-being, but also think of possible future accidents and chaos generated from crew combat or environmental hazards.
- Skills and traits - Every crew member has their own set of skills and traits. A wimp might get scared shooting a gun, while an iron-stomach can eat anything unaffected.
- Mood - A happy crew member needs food, sleep, comfort, safety and friends. Take something away and their mood will be affected.
- Conditions - Crew members might feel adventurous, suffer from starvation, feel unhygienic, or they simply ate too much. Various conditions affect how they feel.
- Mental breaks - When the stress is too much for a crew member they may suffer a mental break. Some will vent themselves out of the air lock, while others might start a fight.
In Space Haven characters aren't mere robots. The game simulates needs, moods, health and skills of your crew members and they develop relationships with each other. Their past life occupation and hobbies will affect their skills and know-how, and they have both positive and negative traits. Witness joyful moments, depression, and drama surrounding different crew members as you journey onward seeking a new home.
- Away missions - Equip your crew members and organize away teams to explore derelict ships or visit stations or spaceships of other factions.
- Draft - Draft and move your crew members to attack enemies and save their friends.
- Inventory - Each crew member has their own unique inventory. Equip them with pistols, rifles, grenades and more.
Equip your crew with space suits and weapons and organize away teams to explore derelict ships and stations. Explore and salvage resources and items; find activated cryopods with someone frozen inside. Visit spaceships or stations of other factions and find data logs telling stories of past spacefarers searching for a new home.
- Crew combat - Engage in combat with enemy factions or an alien species.
- Aliens - Watch aliens incapacitate your crew members and capture them alive. See them suffer in the alien lair and decide if you want to try to save them or not.
Aliens capture your crew members and cocoon them against walls in their base. See them suffer in the alien lair and decide if you want to save them or not. Explore derelict ships and discover someone from the original crew of the ship captured by the aliens. Events like these create interesting back stories to new arrivals to your crew.
- Battlestations - Watch your crew take battlestations as you engage the enemy in ship-to-ship battle. See your crew load turrets with projectiles, put out fires from explosions, patch hull breaches and repair vital facilities in the midst of battle.
- Tactical - Target the enemy ship engine and stop them from fleeing. See them do the same to you. Engage their turrets directly or try to focus on the enemy ship core and see their ship go pitch black. Build shields to protect your most vital segments of your ships.
Build turrets and engage in tactical ship-to-ship combat, where a hit and explosion could cause a snowball effect of fire, smoke, hazardous gases and even hull breaches for either party. All crew members need to work together to win the battle.
- Cryopods - Protect your crew from side-effects of Inter-stellar travel. Place crew members into stasis to freeze the progression of a disease or to await rescue.
- Medical - Treat crew members for injuries, wounds and diseases. Medical conditions affect crew members in various ways.
Your crew members will become wounded in battles and might catch a serious disease. Set up a medical room, scan for diseases and foreign masses and have your best doctor tend to illnesses and perform surgeries. Hope that your doctor is not absent minded and leaves a surgical tool inside.
- Generated galaxy - Explore a new procedurally generated galaxy each playthrough, with planets, asteroids, stations and spaceships of other factions.
- Factions - Interact with various factions all trying to survive and establish dominance their own way. Meet pirates, merchants, slave traders, cultists and more and develop relationships with each.
- Resources - Mine for raw resources and refine them to building materials. Trade resources with other groups you meet.
Explore a new procedurally generated galaxy each new playthrough, with various factions all trying to survive and establish dominance their own way. You'll meet pirates, slavers, merchants, cults, androids and more. Jump into hyperspace, seek out resources and meet various groups and develop your relationship with them.
- Type: Single player
- Genre: Indie, Simulation, Strategy
- Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux
- Release dates: Kickstarter Alpha (April 2019), Steam Early Access (Q4 2019), Full Launch (2020)
We're taking this seriously. We're not going to put the game on Steam, even as early access, before we have iteratively developed the game to be ready for that. You, our Kickstarter backers, will help us get the game to that point by providing us invaluable feedback as we progress.
Join the alpha crew and help us create something beautiful! You will get access to the game once this campaign has ended and Kickstarter has sent us the backer data.
We've worked hard for three years to create the architecture of the game, giving us a solid base to build upon. Now it's time to start adding much needed content. As a Kickstarter backer, you'll be able to give us feedback regarding which direction we take the game. Below are a few of our thoughts.
Note that this list of modules isn't a roadmap and may not all ever be finished. We will do our best to implement as much as possible.
- Role play elements - Expand on game elements allowing you to role play, giving you the ability to butcher aliens for meat, sell your crew members for credits and attack and steal from anyone you see. Role play as a pirate, slave trader, alien hunter, merchant or other.
- Faction relations - Create more depth to factions, their back stories and how they relate to each other.
- Environmental storytelling - Create an environmental story generation tool. Explore ships and stations and find Androids, who overpowered their masters, medical bays filled with corpses, open alien eggs on a research bench with dead crew members around.
- Deep characterization - Improve character interactions, relationships, conditions, traits and diseases to give more depth to your crew members.
- Research - Create a research tree, with new technology to unlock. Research new weapons, shields and facilities.
- Health modeling - Medical beds would have a scanning mechanism. Scan for diseases and foreign masses. Have your doctor perform surgeries and tend to the sick.
- Crew combat - Improve on the mechanics of crew combat.
- Ship-to-ship battle - Implement and improve on the mechanics of ship-to-ship battle.
- Game customization - New game modes, like a sandbox mode or building space stations instead of spaceships. If something annoys you turn it off. Customize your game regarding game difficulty, faction presence and so on.
- Multiple endings - Create more than one way to finish a playthrough, tied to stories. Endless sandbox possibility.
- Modding - Mod support can allow the player base to implement interesting, or experimental ideas of their own, allowing for a richer gaming experience.
- Landing on Planets - This would be a big task, and would require a lot of time. It is something we dream of though. With enough funding we could give it a serious thought.
- Your wishes - Anything the community thinks up is on the table. We will listen and implement to our best judgement.
While playing, you'll be listening to amazing emotional tracks developed by Paul Zimmermann. We are very happy to work with someone who can create exactly what we needed to realize our vision for Space Haven's sound. Paul is developing both the music and the sound effects for Space Haven. The beautiful lyrics and vocals are by Scalefin.
Space Haven tells your story through emergent gameplay, but others left their mark among the stars as well. Their stories are told by recovered data. Unearth the voyages of other ships and crews through recovered tablets, phones and logs taken from dead humans aboard the derelict ships and stations you encounter, and follow in your predecessor’s footsteps as they lead you toward the game’s many endings.
All community goals have been met! Kickstarter Backers starting at $20 will all receive an additional copy of the game when it is officially released.
- Back this Kickstarter by choosing a pledge you like!
- Join our Mailing list, Reddit, Discord, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- Follow Space Haven on Instagram
- Subscribe to Space Haven subreddit.
- Join Space Haven Discord.
- Wishlist and Follow on Steam or Good Old Games.
- Mail your favorite Twitch streamer or Youtuber with a link to this page. Tell them to contact us at email@example.com for access to the game!
- Tell a friend! Or share this Kickstarter on your favorite forum.
Bugbyte is a small but experienced 3-man indie team, consisting of Allan Junkkila (Programmer), Aksel Junkkila (Marketing) and Matti Vanhala (Graphic design). With 5 games already developed and released, Bugbyte has proved capable of executing. Coming from a rich tradition in quality Finnish game design, and with all core team members working together on-site, the team is strong and passionate and eager to make great games.
Bugbyte is really fortunate to have collaborators like Paul Zimmermann (Music and sound) and Philip R. Johnson aka HamboneHFY (Storytelling) help us create amazing stuff.
If you scrolled down this far, we hope you have some energy left to scroll back up and back us! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for supporting us.
Risks and challenges
Every project has challenges and risks. Making something unique and great takes a lot of time and effort. We have been working hard and invested a lot of our own money into Space Haven, as we believe we have something great in our hands. As a company we are very fair and committed to treat our customers right, and we will do whatever it takes to keep our promises. We have succeeded with it so far, and thanks to our experience, we know how to prepare for projects such as Space Haven. We pledge to be transparent about any issues that might affect the delivery of Space Haven. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)