Meme Defense - a Tower Defense Game
Meme Defense - a Tower Defense Game
A tower defense game starring all your favorite internet memes.
A tower defense game starring all your favorite internet memes. Read more
Check out the gameplay video of the alpha above! Many of the images are still placeholders. It is a proof of concept.
What is Meme Defense?
Thanks for the explanation.
Listen, the point of the game is simple.
1. Trolls: There are trolls, like the one pictured above. If they get from one end of the screen to the other, they start stealing your karma. If you run out of karma, you die a horrible death and your grandmother catches fire.
2. Memes: Memes are your defense mechanism. They have an array of powers they can use to try to stop the trolls from stealing your karma.
3. Miscellaneous: But wait, sister, there's a little more to it. Trolls get more powerful as the level goes on. And some of them are resistent or immune to your defenses. Luckily, you can upgrade your memes to make them more powerful, gain new skills, and throw socks. All of this happens on uniquely strategic and beautifully hand-drawn levels. There's upvotes, bacon, epic difficulty, hairballs, nukes, and all your favorite memes in one packed strategy game. Finally, feel free to utterly obliterate your friends on GameCenter.
Our friend Foul Bachelor Frog is trying to fend off wave of trolls
It's a trap! The Look of Disapproval fires a bazooka!
iOS and Android:
Right now, Meme Defense is entirely in iOS, and I will start work on the Android version right after I finish the iOS version. However, I've set up special Android rewards tiers in which your pledge will go directly to porting over the game to Android immediately. No waiting.
Where does the money go?
Some pretend guy: "Hey Buford, how much does it cost to build an indie mobile video game?"
Buford: "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!! (in USD)"
Some pretend guy: "But you're only asking for $5000. What gives?"
Great question. In reality, professional mobile games are usually in the $100k range (cited here and here, and my friend Vanessa said so, too). One does not simply make a good cheap mobile game. That's why I've decided to humbly come before you, my fellow Interneters, and ask for your help. I've assembled a good skeleton crew of programmers who are willing to work for free (I pay them in beer), but unfortunately we aren't so hot on the art or music department. The $5000 will go directly into game art, music, and marketing. Any extra funding will buy us all more levels, more characters, smoother animations, music that will make your ears feel like you care about them, and ponies. If, by some chance, this project raises significant cash, we can internationalize the game, and support the Android platform.
Specifically, the $5k goes here:
- Hiring a game art studio to make the art assets
- Hiring a musician to write music and provide sound effects
Who are you and how can I send you romantic love notes?
My name is Buford and I'm a software engineer in Silicon Valley.
Things to do before I die:
- Get named a silly name √√
- Travel the world √√
- Become an engineer in the highly competitive San Francisco Bay Area √√
- Be an early employee of an amazing company (Eventbrite (PS - we're hiring)) where I wear many hats (cowboy, or other), and help make it a success √√
- Make it with Eastern European chick in every time zone
- Build hilarious and strategic video game that caters to the Internet communities that I've grown to love
I'm about to solve all your problems. Are you ready for this?
Let's pretend you're sitting at home eating cheetos off your naked, hairy belly, like we all do, and you're thinking to yourself, "It would sure be nice to have some music to listen to." BOOM! Problem solved! Meme Defense will have an official soundtrack that will make you feel like you're sitting by a pool sipping a martini while soaking in some rays - eating cheetos off your naked, hairy belly.
Yeah, that's great, but what about that big blank spot you have on your wall at home? Don't you worry. We're printing a limited run of Meme Defense posters for you to fill that blank spot where you once mistakenly put a Nickelback poster.
So we've taken care of the blank spot on the wall, but what about the blank spot on your ego? Alright, how about we make you have an appearance in the game and put you in the credits? We'll also throw in our eternal gratitude and we'll add you as a friend on Facebook because we love you.
Awesome, but now it's a little drafty, and the cheetos are gone. Got any clothes? My dear friend, we're also making a limited run of Meme Defense t-shirts that come in whatever size you want. Pants, you say? Dude, who wears pants these days?
Oh man, those cheetos were a little rough on the stomach, and now you're in the bathroom looking at the taxidermy mounted on the wall of the chihuahua your mom used to have when you were 6. Wouldn't it be nice to replace it with something more suitable for the bathroom? That's why we're producing original Meme Defense paintings - for your bathroom, where you'll most likely be playing Meme Defense.
- (30 days)