There is very little that can be called truly original in fantasy fiction nowadays. Everything is a rework of some previous story, a mashup of a thousand tales read by writers over years of enthusiasm for the genre. Mind you, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. Great works influence great works.
Child of the Daystar is my mashup, my mixtape. Drawing from dozens of authors (including Jennifer Roberson, Elizabeth Hayden, Trudi Canavan, and Brent Weeks in particular), I set out to create a world and character that would do for my readers exactly what those authors had done for me a hundred times before: entrance, enthrall, and pull them away from the worries of the real world one page at a time.
Well it's my distinct hope you just might like this one, too. At just over 100,000 words and 280 pages, Child of the Daystar is right in the average of most typical fantasy books. Think Prisoner of Azkaban, or your favorite R.A. Salvatore novel. Written for young adult and adult readers, as well as older YA enthusiasts, Daystar has something for everyone. A character you love and hate in the same breath, a world you lose yourself in, and story that will make you wish you remembered what sleep was like.
Benefits of Being A Backer:
The paperback and hardcopy editions of Child of the Daystar will be sold for $14.99 and $25.99 respectively.
As a backer, you could get access to those same versions for $10 and $20 respectively, or a signed copy of those versions for original market price.
I would genuinely love to offer the eBook for a discount as well, but due to my responsibilities to my publisher I am unable to do that at this time. Help me attain my Stretch Goals, however, and I will have more leverage to offer better rewards!
Beyond the quality of the story, a professionally customized cover and art by the incredible Andreas Zafiratos makes Child of the Daystar an amazing aesthetic addition to your collection (because everyone knows ugly books are bad for your health).
Prints will also be made available and, while I as the author own all rights to the work, I enthusiastically assure you that Andreas Zafiratos will receive at least 50% of all print revenue. His art, after all, has made Raz come to life in ways I could never have imagined upon starting this journey.
All in all, if you're looking for a new world to dive into, Child of the Daystar might just have the adventure you've been waiting for.
Well first off, Warren Buffet, keep it in your pants. There's a lot more useful things a billion dollars could go towards. Like ending world hunger. Or curing cancer. Or funding the much needed Broadway adaptation of "Gangam Style".
As for Stretch Goals? Of course we do.
- 100 copies of Child of the Daystar will be donated to NYC libraries in illiteracy-heavy areas
- I will have a website professionally built, and add a special page listing all my KickStart backers in no specific order
- I will write and publicly post a paper on why Twilight is the best book to have been published in the last 50 years*
- new rewards will be posted
*That's sarcasm, by the way. Oh I'll still write the paper, but everyone knows New Moon was way better.**
**Again. Sarcasm. But yes, I'll write the paper.
- Another 100 copies donated to libraries in need
- I will commission a special "KickStarter" alternative book cover from Andreas Zafiratos for all hardcopy versions of the book.
- ALL backers will receive a free eBook version of the book.
- I will add a fan art page to the professional website.
- Child of the Daystar will be professionally recorded in audiobook format, and all backers of $5 and up will receive a free copy.
- I will make the eBook version a free download for the first 3 months of release.
- I will write a novella prologuing Raz's life, and post it for free on my website one launched.
- I will commit time every weekend to reaching out to EACH of my backers and thanking them personally for their help, until everyone has gotten a phone call.
- I will write a second paper explaining why Justin Bieber should be voted the first female president, and read it aloud in a public square before posting the (obviously filmed event) on YouTube for all to see.
If you've reached this part of the page, I hope I've at least sparked some small flame of interest. Whether or not you choose to back my dream, I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to peruse this project. You have my heartfelt thanks.
Thank you all, and especially thank you to those of you who go up now and drop some help in that donation pool.
All the best,
Risks and challenges
The text is done. The cover is complete, the art placed and the design meticulously crafted to perfection. All I need now is you. All I need now is your helping hand, and together we can bring the grand adventures of Raz i'Syul Arro, the desert mercenary, to the great wide world.
Of course, please be aware that circumstances beyond my or anyone's control may delay printing and publication. If such travesties should occur, you will be immediately informed via the KickStarter backers update system. Similarly it is possible, though doubtful, that prices on the market versions of the book could be adjusted from those listed above before final publication.
Also, Tyrion could die on the show. Should that be the case, I will likely be wallowing in a depressive state for months, and certainly be very unproductive. I do hope you will respect my feelings if that should happen.
... same goes for Jamie.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)