our big dream...
Beginning in the spring of 2013, Brian Triplett & Lesley Rish (us!) hope to launch a series of road trips across America by old school bus, establishing a unique, intimate, memorable way for backpackers from around the globe to experience our country with us. We'll roam from big cities to small towns, local diners to national parks. We'll take our groups on epic 24-day, coast-to-coast excursions to most of the places they've heard of, and even better, the places they haven't...
why we need kickstarter...
But before we can start this, we need your help! This summer (2012) we intend on taking the loop around America to document what our country has to offer through captivating photos & compelling video footage which will be used to launch our 'On the Road Bus Adventures' website. Our goals are to:
- Map out the ideal route!
- Discover hidden gems along the way (like the ideal bowling alley that screams 'This is America')!
- Build relationships with local tourism offices, mechanics, guest house owners and such to be sure these road trips are the best they can be
- Document it all through photo, written word & a bit of video to get you and backpackers from around the world excited to join us for future road trips!
Our route will be New York to San Francisco taking a northern route & San Francisco back to New York taking a southern route.
We want to capture everything American from the Atlantic to Yellowstone to baseball to Route 66 to cheeseburgers to southern diners to the Great Lakes to backyard BBQs to the Smoky Mountains to rodeos to drive-in movies to Niagara Falls to the Grand Canyon to the middle of nowhere to Seattle's music scene to towny bars to Hollywood to festivals to the Redwood Forest to bowling alleys to Native American ruins to the Gateway Arch to wine country to New Orleans to Yosemite to the Appalachian Trail to the Mississippi River to the Four Corners to Chicago to university campuses to micro breweries to the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific. And all of the little things in between...
how we'll do it...
Having traveled throughout 50 countries on 6 continents backpacker-style, we are very experienced at exploring on the cheap. To make this trip possible and to be fair to exactly where your dollars are going, we pledge to:
- Sleep in our car, camp or find the cheapest hostel/motel
- Eat a steady diet of peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.
- Keep a running blog to show you that we're constantly & consistently researching & documenting.
Since it's important for us to explore activity & dining options, a good part of our costs will go toward supporting local businesses - which we're sure the Kickstarter community is all about!
Total journey = 6 weeks
- $1,500 - Rental car (yes, we are a motor-vehicle-free couple!)
- $1,200 - Gas (Not the best timing, we know...)
- $800 - Activities (National Park entry fees, minor league baseball tickets, etc.)
- $800 - Finding the best local eats
- $500 - Accommodations (mostly camping but the occasional roof over our heads)
Total cost = $4,800
wait, but you're only asking for $2,400...
Yes, we intend to split the cost between the Kickstarter community & the funds we are currently saving. (We're doing some sweaty manual labor in the vineyards).
This research road trip will be completed just in time for our wedding in Iowa on August 18! As a passionate couple beginning a life together, we feel we're starting off right by identifying our biggest dream and attempting to transform it into reality.
Perhaps a Howard Thurman quote says it best...
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
So we ask you with a big PLEASE, Kickstarter community -
Will you help us come alive?!
Brian Triplett & Lesley Rish
You can starting March 2013 (if all goes smoothly!) Even if you're slightly interested or can't stop daydreaming about it, write to us here: http://www.ontheroadbus.com
Lesley & Brian
We're attempting to create the opportunity for any traveler to embark on a group excursion across America. They aren't conveyor-belt tours. These are co-operative road trips! Sure, there's a rough agenda (to experience all that is America) with some solid leadership and guidance (we'll be along on every one), but everyone has a say in where we go and what we do. We'll create our own fresh adventure every day. Getting there is, like, 97% of the fun...
Support this project
- (30 days)