United By Blue bike bags will be the first organic canvas and leather bike accessories on the market. The soft and pliable canvas and leather make them the perfect bag to carry all of your things on your bike or over your shoulder, and the stash pockets mean you can keep it all organized. The durable brass and leather straps make the bags strong enough to carry even your heaviest loads and four canvas colors to choose from means that there’s one to match your bike.
We have designed 3 bike bags, all made from organic waxed canvas, genuine leather trim, and heavyweight brass hardware. The bags will be ready for shipment early next year, but if you want to give them as a gift this holiday season, we've got you covered. We’ll send you a sleek wooden postcard with an image of the bag on one side and all the product details on the other.
THE ORGANIC HANDLEBAR POUCH
- The perfect case for carrying your phone, credit cards, cash, headphones, keys, and other small necessities
- Attaches to bike handlebars with leather and brass buckle strap
- Dimensions: 4.75”H x 3.25”W x 1.5”D
THE ORGANIC HANDLEBAR BAG
- Great for carrying your lunch, books, ipad, and anything you may need out and around town.
- Long adjustable strap included to carry over the shoulder.
- Attaches to front stem and handlebars of bike with leather and brass buckled straps.
- Dimensions: 10.5"W x 7"H x 6.75"D
THE ORGANIC PANNIER BAG
- Grocery shopping? Going to the gym? How about work? The pannier bag has you covered. Stash anything and everything you may need in a sturdy and secure bag that attaches easily to your bike.
- Interior drawstring pouch for added security on bumpy rides.
- Long adjustable strap with leather detail and shoulder pad included to carry over the shoulder.
- Fits a 13” laptop.
- Attaches to back tire fender with leather and brass buckled straps.
- Dimensions: 13.5"H x 11"W X 5.5"D
- Real leather, fastened by a stud.
- Classic, simple style, great for guys or gals
- 17.75"L x 1/2"W ; 4 holes at end at 1/2" apart
OUR 100% ORGANIC WAXED CANVAS
Sustainability should not come at the cost of fashion or function, and that's why our 100% organic waxed canvas is not only made from organic cotton, but it is durable, rugged, water-resistant, and downright gorgeous. It is a special fabric we developed specifically for our line of bags and is not available on the open market. When you get a UBB Organic Bike Bag, you are getting something made from a unique material you won't find elsewhere.
Our canvas is lightly waxed to give it strength and durability, as well as water resistant qualities. It is not water-proof, however, it does repel water quite well and if you are using these bags in rain, your belongings inside will stay dry. Just don't go swimming with your bags. The below picture shows how the canvas repels water.
PICK YOUR FAVORITE COLOR
Digital mocks of the 4 different color options you will be able to choose from after funding is complete.
GIFT A BAG!
Although the bike bags will not ship to you in time for your holiday gifting, that doesn't mean you can't give one to the bike lover in your life. After funding is complete, we’ll send you a sleek wooden postcard with an image of the bag on one side and all the product details on the other. Give this as recognition for your intended gift and the bag will follow in the new year.
REASONS TO SUPPORT
- No other organic canvas and leather bike bags exist
- 100% organic canvas means that there is no pollutive runoff into rivers and streams, and the land is healthier too
- For every product sold, UBB removes 1 pound of trash from oceans and waterways through company organized and hosted cleanups
- Soft and pliable fabric made from natural fibers means they are durable and strong without using synthetic fabrics or plastics (plastics tend to crack with age, leather and canvas do not)
- Plenty of stash pockets to keep everything organized
- Heavy-duty brass hardware to hold all your heavy gear
- Comprehensive prototyping and testing process means your UBB bike bags just work
- Buy bags as gifts and we’ll send you a wood card with specifications and imagery to gift for the holidays
- Long strap included to carry Handlebar and Pannier bag over your shoulder
WHAT WE WILL DO WITH THE MONEY
These Bike Bags have been prototyped, tested and are ready for production, and your support will enable us to purchase the needed materials and commence an initial production run.
And fret not, we have a track record of success when it comes to bags. We already have a successful line of general-use bags we have been making for over 2 years, and I am really excited to apply all the lessons we have learned from that line of bags to the making of these organic bike bags.
THE LONG HAUL GUARANTEE
All of our bags come with an amazing guarantee: return or exchange any bag for any reason one year after you purchased it. This includes the bags you receive through the support of this project.
ABOUT UNITED BY BLUE
United By Blue is a Philadelphia-based apparel brand that’s all about exploration and finding forgotten beauty. We sell our own line of organic cotton t-shirts, rugged waxed canvas and leather bags, and jewelry and have been featured by the likes of GQ and the LA Times.
UBB has a mission: What sets us apart from other brands is that we roll up our sleeves and do our own dirty work. We’ve built the infrastructure to plan and host cleanups within the company so that we can do our own good work instead of outsourcing it to someone else. Since we were founded in 2010, we’ve removed over 141,000 pounds of trash at over 80 cleanups with the help of over 2,300 volunteers.
Risks and challenges
Waxed canvas and leather bags are a staple product at United By Blue, and we’ve stocked them year after year. Our prototypes are tested and ready to go into production, though there are always risks inherent with new manufacturing runs. Occasionally product specifications are slightly different from samples, though the differences have never diverged too far from the original in the past.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
PICTURES ADDED 11/16: Both of these bags come with a removable, adjustable strap that is perfect to use as a sling bag. See above pictures for how this would function.
I'm wondering how waxed canvas responds to rain. How water-resistant, or waterproof are your bags, and at what point, if any, do things inside get wet?
Great question! Our organic canvas is lightly waxed. This gives it water resistant qualities and also a more premium look and feel. It provides additional protection to the fibers and makes the bag more durable (it also ages beautifully!). It is not water-proof, however. It will be ok in light rain, but if you ride around in a downpour for too long, chances are the water will begin to seep through, but it will take a lot of water for it to be at a point where what is inside gets wet.
Support this project
- (30 days)