Brease - A private cloud for everyone (Canceled)
Brease - A private cloud for everyone (Canceled)
Brease turns your external drives into cloud storage and makes them accessible on all your devices, from anywhere.
Brease turns your external drives into cloud storage and makes them accessible on all your devices, from anywhere. Read more
About this project
Brease is an easy to set up cloud hub that turns the storage you already have into a cloud of your own.
Just connect your external hard or flash drives and your personal cloud increases with the size of these drives. Brease makes these drives accessible on all of your devices. Just like regular cloud storage, but with no size limitations and completely private and secure.
We spent more than a year testing and creating several hardware prototypes to ensure the best private cloud experience possible. We are ready to show you what we've got. There's only one more question...
Setting up Brease is done in a breeze. Since installing hardware isn't everyone's cup of tea, we made it extremely easy. It takes just three simple steps;
- Use your physical storage like any regular cloud storage; view, add, remove and edit your files instantly through our great apps for mobile devices, computers and web browsers.
- Start creating a document at home and continue working on the road. Brease will keep your files in sync on all your devices.
- Need more space to store all your files? Simply add another hard drive and your cloud instantly becomes bigger.
- When you decide to unplug your hard drive, you can use it as a normal drive again. So feel free to add, remove, and swap storage as much as you like.
- We are not changing the way you use the cloud, we're changing its data source, that's all. It's your data, your cloud and you are in control.
- With Brease, your content can be made accessible to friends, family, or even your whole company in one single click.
- From read-only to full access, we provide you with easy customizable settings for each user you share your content with.
- And when they love Brease as much as you do, you can provide them with some personal cloud storage of their own.
- Build the ultimate cloud for your family or business; create users, groups and keep track of all your data.
- Whether you want to share a folder, grant one-day access to a document or give away 50GB of storage to a friend, it's all super easy.
- Backup all your files to any connected hard drive, so you never have to lose a file again.
- Simply select a drive using one of our applications and choose which assigned devices it needs to cover.
- The backup process runs completely autonomous and you're able to adjust the backup scheme on any device.
- Brease has built-in support for RAID, up to RAID-6, and JBOD. This way your drives are able to backup each other as well.
- Need even more safety? Backup all your data to a second Brease to keep it on two different locations.
- Stream all media stored on your drives to the screen of your choice, right from your Brease.
- Built-in support for all major file formats. We will continue to work on support for more specific file extensions.
- Listen to music or watch a video wherever you are using our extensive mediaplayer in the mobile applications.
- No internet, no problem. With the optional offline mode you can always access your files, even when you're temporarily offline.
- Help us improve your multimedia experience even further; support for DLNA, Chromecast and Airplay when we hit our first stretch goal.
To make sure only you are able to store, share and backup your files, we created an authentication process that is truly unique. When a device is assigned to your Brease for the first time, an encrypted master key is generated. This master key is then stored locally on both your Brease and the assigned device. Every time you connect to Brease (i.e. when you open the app on your smartphone), this master key determines that it's you by matching both keys. Master keys are unique for each assigned device, which means that when an unknown or fraudulent device wants to access your Brease, it won't be recognized and thus won't have access to any files, even when the correct login credentials have been entered.
From the moment we designed Brease we knew it had to be extraordinary, yet remarkably simple and easy to use. When we drew the first sketches, we kept in mind that it should be a perfect addition to any desk. And with it's recognizable shape and color, we're sure it will definitely be one to yours.
To make sure all our ideas are achievable, we've partnered up with a hardware manufacturer in Taiwan during the early stages of design. In this way we can assure a qualitative and sustainable product.
Brease is made of high quality PC/ABS (Polycarbonate/Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) and comes in a clean bright white colour, which has an elegant matte finish. So Brease isn't just beautiful, it's durable as well.
But we’ve got more for you in store. For our Kickstarter campaign we designed two limited edition Brease devices that are both very unique in their own way. Get your hands on one of these since they are limited in number and only available during our Kickstarter campaign.
Our Black Thunder Edition, a beautiful black colored device, has the same beautiful matte finish as the original, but will only be available during our campaign.
The Onyx Edition is made out of anodized aluminium and is engraved with a serial number from 001 to 300. It is an absolute must have for people who value design as much as technology. To top it off, this perk grants exclusive access to our closed beta starting later this year. You'll be the absolute first to have a Brease.
Our software is based on an open source Linux kernel, which is optimized to run our peer-to-peer protocol. The software handles all the requests from your Brease using SSH (Secure Shell); from opening files to sharing folders. Alongside this software, an AES 256-bit encryption model runs on your Brease. All keys used by this model are stored locally and are only accessible to physically assigned devices.
We have been working on Brease for over a year now and we are really satisfied with the progress we’re making. So far we have a working prototype and are in the midst of polishing up Brease’s looks, creating mobile apps, web applications and desktop clients.
However, in order to make Brease a success we need to speed up software development and set up hardware production. We know that with your help we can make this happen.
We hope you believe in Brease as much as we do and we would love to share our crucial struggles, celebrations and adventures with you. Are you ready to hop on the Brease train?
Risks and challenges
Developing and producing a hardware product comes with all sorts of risks and challenges. We know that one of the most common risks is having delays in manufacturing and we do our best to avoid this scenario by all means.
For our supply chain strategy we partnered up with a qualitative manufacturer in Taiwan, who can provide us with the top-level quality we pursue. We also decided to assemble all Brease devices in the Netherlands. In that way we have more control and insights in our lead times and therefore are more able to anticipate on possible delays.
We spent a tremendous amount of time developing the best user interfaces to make sharing, storing and backing up files as easy as it can be. Our experience has taught us that developing great software can be a real challenge, yet we have an excellent team to overcome any unexpected problems. We have already reserved funds in case software issues cause serious delays.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)