About this project
March - end Kickstarter campaign
Apr 7-9th - record album at Sparta Sound with Rich Mattson
April 10th - review rough mix, schedule recording time to finish
Late Summer 2017 - album release!
The Track List and Descriptions:
Part I "Wildflowers"
1. Anya's Song - this is a sweet lullaby song I wrote for Anya when she was just a few days old. It was so hard to put her down after she fell asleep in my arms. Click here to watch a video of us playing this song from rehearsals:
2. Rocking Horse - this is a song written for my teenager Alyssa when she was struggling with being too old to be a kid but too young to move out.
3. Carousel - this is a friendship song inspired by my daughter Ava and my own friendships from my early days of sleepovers and friendship necklaces. Click here to watch a video of us playing this song from rehearsals.
4. Paper Dolls - this song is for all those ladies who go out to shows and dance for those cute musicians. I call them paper dolls ...and I used to be one.
5. City Girl Country Heart - this song was written for my cousin Katlyn who moved from a small farm town to the big ol' city of Duluth, MN.
Part II "Tumbleweeds"
6. Would You? - this is a nice relaxing tune questioning just how much one loves another measured by small acts of kindness like coming to a show or bringing gas when a vehicle is stranded.
7. Change of Heart - this is my divorce song. It's not an angry tune but instead an explanation and understanding of what needed to be.
8. I Do - this is about as lovey dovey as it gets! Evan and I wrote this together for our first dance at our wedding. We're so happy to be able to record it with the full band.
9. Old Man & Maggie - this is a story of an old man who finds an unusual love to make life worth living long after the love of his life passes.
10. Wildflowers & Tumbleweeds - this title track was a few years in the making. Inspired by a road trip from Dallas, TX across the Oklahoma border with my love, my home sweet home.
The Recording Studio:
We are scheduled to record at Sparta Sound in Sparta, MN on the Iron Range with the one and only Rich Mattson. "After watching Mattson at work, it’s easy to see why musicians flock to his studio. Dan Israel says that he wasn’t quite sure what to expect the first time he drove up to Sparta, but Mattson’s unassuming nature and the studio’s easy-going vibe helped to create a once-in-a-lifetime recording session." ~Andrea Swensson, The Current
In the spring of 2012 I launched a Kickstarter and recorded my first album. Since then, I have put together a band of musicians I am proud to call my band family. You can call them The Front Porch Sinners - Evan Tepler (lead guitar), John LaMar (drums), Johnny Peterson (pedal steel, mandolin, trumpet) and Glenn Maloney (bass, harmonica). Together with these guys, we have been on PBS's PlayList, opened for Josh Thompson at Clyde on the main stage, played Fourth Fest at Bayfront, opened for Jerrod Neimann at Bayfront and recorded and released the Timothy John EP. We have also played every year for Homegrown Music Festival here in the twin ports. Our band has so much momentum right now. But we need your help to get to the next level. We need newly recorded music for promotion so we can get booked at festivals and in other cities across the country. With updated music, we can send out good quality recordings to booking contacts. We can also make music videos and have a better online presence to grow our fan base.
$0 donated Photo shoot (donated by Katlyn Kretzschmar Photography) - The super talented Katlyn Kretzschmar photographed the band giving us an updated look for new band promotion. She's been taking pictures of us for several years now. She knows the best lighting and angle for John's beard.
$0 donated space for shoot (donated by The Spirit Room) - Lindsey Graskey has allowed us to do a photo shoot in the beautiful Old Superior City Hall building. Original hard wood, tile floor and antique furniture. Can't wait to share these photos with you!
$0 donated Videography for campaign (donated by Brian Barber) - Brian donated time and talent to put together the video for this campaign. If fully funded, we are hoping to have Brian create a music video for one of the new songs.
$3,000 Recording/Mixing (Sparta Sound) - See the Recording Studio section above to learn more about Sparta and google the internets. Rich Mattson has been turning out one fantastic album after another out of his studio up nort yah.
$200 Mastering (Jake Larson) *discounted rate! - Jake mixed and mastered our last album. He's such a sweet heart, he's going to give us a deal on the mastering for this project to make it ready for digital, CD and Vinyl duplication.
$1,033 Duplication CDs (Discmakers) - The CD's are going to be a 6 panel digipak with tray. Beautiful full color CDs in a durable case.
$2,144 Limited Run Vinyl Pressing (Discmakers) - The 12' jacket will be full color with spine and it's gonna look amazing chilling on your shelf in your collection.
$500 Design (OneUP Creative) - Amy with OneUP will be designing the CD and Vinyl artwork as well as the new t-shirt design. She is a design master. Be prepared to be wowed.
$100 Printing (UPS Store) for card inserts and release show posters
$850 T-shirts (Screen Graphics) and other Rewards + Postage - Screen Graphics has printed our shirts in the past. They are fast, friendly and local.
$375 Kickstarter’s 5% cut
$200 Other (FB ads and other promotion)
$8,402 Total budget for project
Every effort was made to seek out low cost and donated services while still having a quality product to give you. We are asking for $7,500 because we plan to use show money over the next few months to make up the remaining amount and for any surprise costs that may come up.
Risks and challenges
Timeline for a project like this is always risky. We could get in the studio and have ideas to add different instruments or edit arrangements. This could delay our time but we are committed to sticking to our timeline of a late summer release. All of us have been through a recording process before and we will keep each other on task for a timely project.
Vinyl is expensive and time sensitive. We have done our research but a back order from our duplicator could cause a delay in delivery of vinyl. If that happens, backers will still get all the other rewards on their due date.
Some of the rewards are subject to availability and there are expiration dates for redeeming some rewards. Every effort will be made to fulfill every reward for every backer.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)