This project's funding goal was not reached on April 29, 2012.
About this project
Instaprint is a location based photo booth that can transform parties and events by putting a camera in everyone's hand. By setting Instaprint to look out for specific locations or hashtags, any Instagram tagged appropriately will automatically be printed out on inkless paper. Get one for your next party, event, wedding, fiesta....
Instaprint was invented in the spring of 2011 by our small company called BREAKFAST. Over the past year our prototype devices have been seen at events such as store openings, product launches, a variety of different parties and events including The Grammys and Lady Gaga concerts.
Going from prototype to consumer product is a massive step, and is something BREAKFAST has been working on for almost a year. It's a huge endeavor that will require us to bring on more staff and dedicate many months to make it all happen. Some things are sure to change as we get into the thick of it, but that means things will only get better.
We're really psyched to try and make this happen, and we hope you'll help us reach our goal. We can't thank all of you enough for any support you can give!
WHERE DOES THE CASH GO?
- $175,000 will go towards the many months of mechanical design, digital design, hardware development, software development, prototyping and testing for the device hardware, software and website.
- $260,000 will go towards the parts, molds, inkless paper, fabrication and build of the devices.
- $20,000 for packaging and shipping all of the rewards.
- $45,000 goes to KickStarter and Amazon's fees.
Rather than dealing with ink cartridges that constantly need replacement, Instaprint uses an inkless technology where all color is pulled right from the paper itself.
For higher volume printing and an even better look, additional Instaprints can be daisy chained together to share power and connectivity. Each multi-box set up requires one Instaprint that has a controller and Wi-Fi module which then drives the other controller-less Instaprints.
When Instaprint is powered up for the first time, it will show up as a Wi-fi network on your phone or computer. Once connected to the device, you'll be able to set the Wi-Fi network it will use to connect to the internet and associate your Instaprint device(s) with your instaprint.me account.
Instaprint.me will be your one-stop-shop for setting up your Instaprint devices with locations and hashtags for different events, and will also host your event galleries. These galleries showcase all the Instagrams printed at each of your events, and give attendees a place online to view the collection of prints.
- High performance coiled cables provide DC current to each Instaprint.
- Power supplies will vary depending upon number of Instaprints in the kit you order. A larger power supply may be required for each additional Instaprint that is added to a daisy chain.
- Power supplies will work on 120v as well as 220v, but may require an adapter for international sockets.
- We are still assessing several different printer engine options to ensure the highest quality, performance, and reliability.
- The paper type will vary with the engine we decide on. Paper will be readily accessible either directly from us or from places such as amazon.com, and should cost around $12 for 30 sheets.
- Internet connected device (computer, smart phone, tablet) running a modern web browser
- Wi-Fi network connected to the internet
- Instaprint.me account (free)
- People using the Instagram app, with photos set to public
In the box
- High performance coiled power cable
- Power supply with US plug
- Starter Paper
As mentioned in the Tech Specs section above, we are still assessing which paper technology we'll be going with. That said, all types we're looking at cost about $10-12 for 30 sheets and will be readily available from retailers such as amazon.com.
If all goes smoothly, we're hoping to ship in September of 2012.
As of today yes, and with Instagram announcing that the app is coming to Android soon, we feel that the app will be in the majority of people's pockets very soon. That said, we are considering expanding to other services eventually.
Absolutely. We should have explicitly said so in the reward description, but can't go back an make the edit.
We don't have any immediate plans for an automated pay-per-print feature, so any charges would need to be collected manually.