To Be Or Not To Be just broke $500k. There's seventeen hours left and we broke half a million dollars in pledges. Thank you all so much!
Two days ago when I said I would "literally explode" if this happened I thought "hah hah there's no way this will happen, hah hah hah jokes are funny". Since then this joke JUST GOT REAL, and since Kickstarter's Terms Of Service mean I have to make a best-faith effort to make this goal come true, I have spent the past while scouring the OED looking for linguistic loopholes (my hobby).
Tell me about "literally", OED!
- In a literal, exact, or actual sense; not figuratively, allegorically, etc. Used to indicate that the following word or phrase must be taken in its literal sense, usu. to add emphasis.
- colloq.Used to indicate that some (freq. conventional) metaphorical or hyperbolical expression is to be taken in the strongest admissible sense: ‘virtually, as good as’; (also) ‘completely, utterly, absolutely’.
No help there, plus my opinions about "literally" are well-known. Okay OED, give us "explode", surely you can help us out there??
- trans.To clap and hoot (a player, play, etc.) off the stage; hence gen.to drive away with expressions of disapprobation; to cry down; to banish ignominiously. Also fig.Const. from, out of, and with double obj. Obs.
That's no good, nobody's going to be satisfied with me booing a performance of something using an obsolete sense of a word! What else you got, OED?
- To drive forth (air); to emit.
Hmm I could toot, I could definitely do a toot but that hardly seems like the best way to celebrate a publishing project reaching $500k. Though it probably has the virtue of never having been done before?
- intr.To ‘go off’ with a loud noise. Of gas, gunpowder, etc.: To expand violently with a loud report under the influence of suddenly developed internal energy; hence, of a charged jar, mine, etc. Of boiler, gun, etc.: To fly in pieces, burst, from a similar cause.
No OED this is precisely what I'm trying to avoid! Although I appreciate that you're now peppered with animated gifs I do NOT want to expand violently if I can avoid it; this is a life choice I made long ago. Last chance:
- trans.To cause (a gas, gunpowder, also a magazine, mine, etc.) to ‘go off’ with a loud noise; to ‘blow up’.
Ahhhhh YES - right at the bottom is the sense I need, and thank you transitive sense of verbs! I will cause something to explode. I will LITERALLY EXPLODE A THING.
Right now I think I will make a paper-mache thing and work with that, but I'll consult with my father (an ENGINEER) on the best approach towards making a explosions happen, and whatever happens YES there will be a YouTube video of it. This is a silly stretch goal but CONTRACTS IS CONTRACTS.
Dear diary: today we made a Shakespearean branching-path book reach the real world and we exploded something while we were at it. Don't even act like you're surprised, diary.
Once again, thank you all so much: To Be Or Not To Be has shot past every goal I could make for it, and now it's even shot past the silly ones. This is amazing, and there's still 18 hours left. Time enough for one last stretch goal:
- $525,000 = everyone already getting a sticker (check the rewards list to make sure!) will get another sticker that reads "I BELONG TO SOMEONE AWESOME" that will go great on your book, your laptop, or on your monster truck. Normally I'd worry about releasing such a powerful sticker into the wild, but I'm confident in this case that we are cool.
Here's one more illustration from the book: it's black and white here, but it'll be colour in the book, and it features Hamlet and Ophelia Winning Fights, Making Out, and Being Totally Awesome. It's by Carly Monardo!
Thank you all so much! We're in the end stretch now, and very soon we'll be switching gears from "kickstarting this book" to "getting this thing done and into your house".
I can't wait to share it to you!