About this project
We're so honored that you all donated to help make this project a reality. We reached our $8000 goal, and even beyond, as of Monday night, 60 hours before deadline! We can now get to work composing & arranging & recording & editing & mixing & mastering & getting it into all y'all hands as fast as we can!
I can't begin to express how grateful we are to everyone who donated to the project, or helped spread the word. THANK YOU! We'll do our best to make you glad you helped.
I should probably mention that it's NOT too late to DONATE! Any more funds we receive can go towards
- additional studio time for creative mixing & editing to make it sound even better!
- hopefully organizing & supporting a TOUR, hopefully to your hometown!
- promotion! (hard to make that one sound exciting)
- mindblowing graphic design by THE WORLD'S FINEST ARTISTS!
Thank you again!
Brass Menazeri & Mr. Lif
- note: We've changed some of the higher-value awards around, check out the new perks at the $150, $200, and $750 level! AND a clarification: the $25 rewards DOES include a physical copy of the CD when it's released, as well as the download early master.
- "Because they Made it That Way" — http://youtu.be/S-OcsunCGZc
- "What About Us" — http://youtu.be/vUT19xsO9iM
- our "Street Sounds" radio show on KEXP Seattle — http://bit.ly/lQ0M9M
- SF Weekly, "Mr. Lif & Brass Menazeri: You've Never Heard Anything Like This Radness" — http://bit.ly/iFlVzR
- the Kickstarter interview — http://kck.st/m86Ce9
- Hearth Music, who brought us together — http://bit.ly/mjgFVU
Last December, Brass Menažeri and underground hip-hop pioneer Mr. Lif kicked off a groundbreaking new collaboration and we need your help to bring it to fruition!
As part of the first-ever Seattle Folk Festival, we came together to fuse Balkan brass and underground hip-hop into a brand new genre. We only had two days together, but we created something that we think has the potential to breathe new life into both hip hop & Balkan music. In Lif's words, “Within the first minute of our first rehearsal, we recognized we had potential to do something unique, and we’ve been intoxicated by the process of working together ever since.” Check this link to our performance of "Because They Made it That Way" http://youtu.be/S-OcsunCGZc
Also, check out this live rendition of "What About Us?!" from our 1st ever performance. We had only one rehearsal prior to this show, but the love, enthusiasm, and willingness to tread into the unknown shines through in this video http://youtu.be/vUT19xsO9iM
Now Brass Menažeri wants to bring Mr. Lif to our hometown, the hip-hop mecca of Oakland. Together we will arrange and record tracks for a new CD that will capture the unexpectedly powerful combination of Mr. Lif’s politically-charged East Coast lyricism and Brass Menažeri’s soulful, ecstatic Balkan Rom (“Gypsy”)-style sounds.
The money raised through this campaign will pay for transportation, studio time, engineering, mixing, mastering, graphic design, production, and manufacturing of this CD. This will be a project that stretches both artists beyond our boundaries and promises something unheard of in either genre.
If we manage to surpass the original $8000 goal, any extra pledges will go towards more creative mixing, improving the sound quality even further, supporting a collaborative tour, and a promotional campaign.
Thank you so much in advance for any support you can offer!
Special thanks to Patrick Dougherty for providing the performance footage of "Because They Made it That Way" & "What About US?!"
Photos by Dave Lichterman - http://www.flickr.com/lavid
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)