A feature-length thriller about surveillance, control, and resistance.
It's a 21st-Century thriller, rife with suspense, terror, and political edge, told in a voice that is both genuine and Gen-Y. It's a story born in the Surveillance State of America, nurtured in the shadow of the War on Terror, and raised on class struggle. Standing atop the hunched shoulders of the paranoid neo-noir classics of the 60's and 70's, this film will portray the conflict of two women -- one disenfranchised, and one powerful -- as they fight, respectively, for freedom and control.
The Laventure Brothers
My brother Cameron and I make movies. We've been writing scripts together since we were kids, and now he directs and I produce. We've made two shorts, a music video, and one feature-length film. If you'd like, you can watch our most recent short: a comedic thriller called Frank the Assassin Goes On A Date.
Every film we make is an enormous investment of our time, attention, and spirit. The deeper we get into this life, the more we know that it's what we intend to keep doing for a long time, and that we need to find a way to do it professionally. For us, this means making a movie on a large enough scale that it gets seen by a wide audience. In this way, we can fulfill our dream: a life sustained by the telling of stories through cinema.
Cameron and I have been writing The Riverview for over two years. While a script is never really complete until the end of post-production, this one has reached a certain maturity, and we're very proud of it. We won't share the entire thing right now, although a chance to read it is one of our rewards. For now, hopefully this page can give you a little taste for it.
With our friends and collaborators Matthew Riggs and Maria Palmö, we've begun to develop a rich aesthetic to support the story. You can hear this in Matt's score for our pitch video, and in Cameron's concept art.
This tone poem by Matthew Riggs is designed to evoke, in six parts, the themes and basic story of The Riverview. Please listen and enjoy.
Part 1: Eulogy for Gemütlichkeit (0:00 - 0:40)
- Fading memories of a middle-class life, without fear or worry.
Part 2: Enter Mercedes (0:40 - 1:16)
- Introduction of an evil force, sweeping in its power of control.
Part 3: Surveillance and Control (1:16 - 1:45)
- Lack of privacy takes its toll when paranoia is completely justified.
Part 4: Learning to Resist (1:45 - 2:27)
- Hope returns as Vivian discovers the power within her, to plan, to scheme.
Part 5: Real Terror (2:27 - 3:04)
- Mercedes tightens her grip.
Part 6: Revolution (3:04 - 4:10)
- A dam can only hold a river for so long.
We want to make The Riverview into a movie that will be available to many people, with a certain budget and a certain caliber of actor that will attract an audience.
At this point you may be wondering, "Do these guys really think they can sign famous talent, create surreal dreamscapes, and stage thrilling stunts with just six thousand dollars?" Well, no. We'll need a lot more, but the first six grand is critical.
Without any money at all, it's extremely difficult to approach star talent, or even to raise money from investors. The $6,000 we hope to raise here is what's called "development money." With this, we can take the necessary steps to move the project forward.
In a nutshell, it's money to raise more money. You could also call it the business foundation of the movie. Without it, we're stuck. If we reach our goal, then we have a shot. At this moment, it all depends on your support.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Cinema is always a risky endeavor. We pour everything we have into every film and inevitably, we depend not only on ourselves, but on the time, money, and trust that our friends dedicate to the project. This is especially true for The Riverview. What we're asking for is development money, which means that even after we're funded, we still need to raise more money. By pledging, you're trusting in our ability to raise the equity needed to make the movie AND to actually make it.
This is admittedly a tall order, but we've been preparing for years and are ready for the challenge. With the help of our friends in the community, local and state resources, and the guidance of seasoned professionals, there won't be any stopping us until The Riverview is playing on a screen near you.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
- Cast Suggestion - Thank you so much for your support! For pledging any amount of money, you can suggest to us an actor that you'd like to see in The Riverview. You might think someone would be right for a particular role (i.e. Vivian or Mercedes) or just want to see a certain actor somewhere in the film. We promise to read your suggestion and think about it.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
- Credit and Insider Access - As we make The Riverview, you will receive behind-the-scenes content and production news, and we will credit you at the end of the movie. Moviegoers will watch your name scroll up the silver screen and know that you helped make it happen. This is also included at all higher reward levels.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
- DVD Package - Once the film is complete, we will send you a DVD, complete with both the movie and special features. It'll take some time, but will be worth the wait.Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
6 backers Limited (4 left of 10)
- Exclusive Look at the Script - Feel like a studio executive when you read the script to The Riverview before it's even made! We'll send you a .pdf this fall, plus the DVD Package after the movie is released.Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
- Blu-Ray/Poster Package - After the film's completion, you will receive the film on Blu-Ray and DVD, along with a poster signed by filmmakers Brandon & Cameron Laventure.Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
9 backers Limited (41 left of 50)
- Cameo Package - In addition to all the aforementioned gifts, you'll have the opportunity to be an extra in a crowd scene for The Riverview. This reward includes a credit at the end for your walk-on role.Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
4 backers Limited (6 left of 10)
- VIP Set Tour Package - You will receive the DVD, Blu-Ray, signed poster, and cameo, plus an exclusive, behind-the-scenes tour of the film's creation, where you can meet the cast and even sit next to the director while we shoot a scene!Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $600 or moreYou selected
4 backers Limited (1 left of 5)
- Associate Producer Package - You, our most generous of supporters, will not only receive every reward listed above, but you'll also be recognized as Associate Producer of the film, complete with special credit after the film and an IMDB page. We'll also get you a framed and autographed photo of you and the filmmakers, cast, or whoever you want to be in it. As with all rewards, it also comes with our heartfelt gratitude.Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
- (29 days)