This project's funding goal was not reached on September 13, 2013.
About this project
Hello fellow Ghostbuster fans. This project is for all of us.
*Be sure to check out some exciting updates*
Ghostbusters 2 had the unfortunate fate of having to follow-up one of the greatest films of all time - the original Ghostbusters. Due to the pressure on the creative team behind the film and the studio itself, certain things happened during the production that altered the way the film came together (famously to the dismay of star Bill Murray). With all this pressure, and the daunting task of pleasing the many new rabid Ghostbuster fans created by the animated cartoon The Real Ghostbusters, certain scenes and plot details were sacrificed and in a lot of cases excised (including the now famous cut story-arc of Louis training to be a Ghostbuster). These actions caused the film to suffer, while also starting up a whirlwind of questions and second guessing in the film community.
Nice Feature article from Film School Rejects, Cinema Blend and Next Movie and more:
My goal is twofold.
1) Create the documentary, Ghostbusters 2: The Original Vision, focusing on getting all the juicy details about how the film was originally conceived and agreed upon by the original cast and crew (hopefully including every main cast member and the main principles behind the camera as well). This means getting Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Rick Morranis, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts, Ivan Reitman (and the list goes on) in front of the camera. I will leave no stone or possibility unturned.
Along with the interviews I will conduct, I will also storyboard any of the originally intended scenes that were either not shot or discarded before filming. The original vision everyone fell in love with will be storyboarded and finally seen. Plus, I will gather any other rare behind the scenes pictures or storyboards created to show in the documentary (hopefully including excerpts of the original script written by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis). The last part of the documentary will focus on the restoration process of the Extended Cut, with the opinions of the actors and creative team after seeing this footage nearly 25 years after it was filmed.
It is important to note that if you guys have any questions you would like me to ask the creative team behind the film, just let me know and I will pose those questions for you.
2) Acquire the original never before seen footage shot and completed footage of the film and restore them in a definitive Ghostbusters 2 Extended Cut. This second part is going to be the biggest challenge. These scenes do exist, and most of them finished with completed effects. I need to use most of the Kickstarter budget to use towards restoration of these scenes into a cohesive and new cut. My ultimate goal is to get the original film negatives from Sony and digitally restore them into a brilliant final Extended Cut of the film. I will not stop until this goal is achieved, and all of us fans can see what was meant to be seen (so many of the weaknesses of the film can be attributed to these major filmed scenes being taken out).
Some of the deleted scenes which will be featured in the Extended Cut:
My challenge to you guys is to help make this dream a reality for all of us. Crowd funding on projects such as this, show the studios and the creative individuals behind these films, that we still care about the film and this franchise. Hopefully with enough fan support, we will get everything we need and want from them, while also being a wake-up call for the long in development sequel - Ghostbusters 3.
The Funding Budget (*exciting update*)
***8/30/2013 - Instead of buying the video equipment needed with part of the budget, I have been talking with a camera company in Portland that got wind of the project and wants to cut a deal with me to use their stuff to film the documentary. Things are looking great, because I will have a great arsenal of equipment at my disposal, to make this documentary the absolute best it can for picture and sound to accompany the exciting and amazing content that will go with it.
The funding of this project is crucial. The $100,000 goal is the lowest amount of money that could get this project done. This undertaking will not be cheap, and the budget will leave little to no room for wiggle room - which is why I hope we can reach more than that $100,000 goal. But rest assured, if we don't reach a penny over that price, I will find a way to get this thing done and make it so that every fan can be proud of what we have achieved (I just hope it doesn't come down to selling any major organs or opening up a neighborhood lemonade stand... or three).
With the help of your funding, I will acquire some new video equipment (either a Red Scarlet, Red Epic, Canon C300, or a Blackmagic 4k Cinema Camera) to shoot the documentary in pristine video (including some needed hard drives for the massive amount of video I will need to shoot), and a new boom mic for the best audio available. The money will also help fund a few lighting setups and video rig. I do not take this project lightly, as I think the fans deserve the best here. This won't be a rinky-dink production, this will be the real-deal. I hope to also procure the original script that the principle actors and creators agreed to make and create a whole special section for the documentary and storyboard the scenes for everyone to see. For a project like this, no expense can be spared. Shooting the documentary will be expensive, but also acquiring the lost footage and restoring it to the best of my (and hopefully the studios ability) will be an undertaking. The storyboarding will also require the hiring of talented artists.
Also, the funding will help cover my travel expenses across the US (mainly in Los Angeles and New York) so that I can conduct these interviews and acquire rare pictures, art, storyboards and videos the public haven't seen of the production. I want everyone to note, that I am going to use the absolutely minimal amount of money possible on travel, because I want to make the documentary the absolute best it can be, while also leaving as much money for the rewards and the final acquisition of those lost scenes for the construction of the final Extended Cut. Every fan needs to see how this film was originally shot, and get the vision of what the original film was supposed to look like - the version that Bill Murray, himself, loved.
An official webpage will be set up by professionals and will be constantly updated so that you know everything that is going on. A web-blog will also be updated weekly. This is a community project, so I want everybody to be included.
The final project will be the definitive way to see Ghostbusters 2 from now on. Nothing has been done like this, and you guys can help make this a reality.
The two parts of the project are:
1) The creation of the documentary GHOSTBUSTERS 2: The Original Vision (complete with new storyboards, brand-new cast and crew interviews, and never before seen pictures and footage).
2) Creating Ghostbusters 2: The Extended Cut. Complete with the now infamous scenes we've always heard about but have never seen.
Ghostbusters 2: The Original Vision could very well prove to be the final cast reunion with all the Ghostbusters participating (if another Ghostbusters film never gets off the ground). It will be great for the fans to be able to hear directly from these amazing creative geniuses about how the film was originally conceived, and every anecdote they have about it. No more myths about the storied production, just facts.The documentary will be the definitive companion to the original cut of the film and an even better companion to the brand-new Extended Cut I will produce. This is a game-changer. Together, we can create cinema history!
Let's do this together, Ghostbusters fans!
Risks and challenges
The two possible challenges for this project will be:
1) To get all these incredible people in front of the camera to dish out the dirt on the film' production. These guys and gals have busy lives, and busy schedules. May I have to go cross country at a moments notice? Maybe. But this won't deter me. When they are available, whenever they are available, I will be there.
2) The challenge of acquiring the lost/deleted scenes and making a master print of the film with them inserted into a cohesive version. It will be done. One way or another.
There may be some roadblocks along the way, but with the collaboration between Sony Pictures, the GB2 creative team, and myself, we should be able to get the ball rolling on this. A project that everyone involved with Ghostbusters 2 (filmmaker or fan) will be proud of.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)