A Pro Wrestling Promoter Sim for iPhone and iPad.
A Pro Wrestling Promoter Sim for iPhone and iPad. Read more
About this project
Do you watch wrestling on TV each and every week, disappointed that your favorite star isn't getting the push that you know he deserves? Are you frustrated with those in power, and know that you have what it takes to entertain the masses? Do you think you know what's best for business? Well, I've got good news: I think you can do better too, and if you can help me make Ringmaster happen, you'll be able to prove it on your iPhone, iPad, or iPad Touch.
I'm Brian Papa, an iOS Developer in New York City and a lifelong pro wrestling fan. I've been working on a game that embodies the fun and depth of a pro wrestling promoter sim while maintaining the great experience we've grown accustomed to on our iOS devices. And if you've seen the demo, I think you'll agree: Ringmaster makes it look like the sport of Pro Wrestling was always intended to be managed from an iPhone.
Right now I've got the User Interface figured out and the plan for the game outlined. Just a few months of full-time work will allow me to be able to finish the project and release it in the first half of 2014. But I need some financial backing to be able to focus on development full-time, in addition to paying for the artwork, licensing music, etc. And that's where you come in: with your support, Ringmaster will become a reality!
As for my personal tastes in wrestling and gaming: in 1988, two seemingly mundane events occurred that would change my life forever. In January, I watched the first Royal Rumble on free TV. In October, I received an NES for my 9th birthday. Thus, two passions were sparked that I've carried with me into adulthood. Today, as an iOS developer I've been frustrated with the sim offerings available on the platform. What I'm creating now is something that combines the fun and simplicity of SimCity for SNES with the gorgeous artwork and clear rules of engagement in Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, delivered to the wild world of pro wrestling on the planet's best mobile platform.
- Over 50 fun new wrestlers, created by two passionate lifelong wrestling fans. Make them or break them, as a wrestler's career path is defined by your promoting decisions.
- An original yet familiar narrative: start at the bottom in bingo halls and circus tents, booking young up-and-coming wrestlers against grizzled veterans. Work your way up to larger arenas, TV contracts, and Pay-Per-Views featuring the stars of the day. Fight off a deep-pocketed competitor from raiding your talent, and achieve true Ringmaster legend status!
- Intuitive interface makes booking matches, adding gimmicks, and selecting winners a breeze. Running a wrestling promotion has never felt more natural!
- Online Multiplayer via Game Center. Challenge your friends and the rest of the world to a four-week TV ratings Tug-of-War! Win your own Monday Night War, quarter hour by quarter hour.
- Takes advantage of the great features of the platform: portrait and landscape orientations, Game Center achievements, share to Twitter and Facebook, Game Controllers, and more!
I'm pretty good at programming. I've shipped a number of apps as the owner of bpm apps, and for clients and previous employers. But I can't really draw very well. That's where Geoff Munn of Pocket Science Studios comes in. This talented artist from Pittsburgh PA is a longtime wrestling fan, and the perfect person to collaborate with for Ringmaster. In fact, Geoff and I have known each other for SIXTEEN YEARS, via the Internet, from our history of playing online fantasy "e-feds".
But Geoff isn't just a wrestling fan, he's a gifted illustrator. Just take a look at some of his stuff: it's fantastic!
The remainder of the funding is for licensing some music, fulfilling rewards, and possibly for some help with Quality Assurance and/or marketing. We'll talk about stretch goals once the project gets fully funded!
The Bottom Line
Ringmaster needs your support. Thank you for your consideration, and please help me make this happen!
Risks and challenges
Building a Universal app (that is, iPhone and iPad) is a complicated task in itself. Adding in support to take full advantage of the platform like multiple orientations, game controllers, and turn-based Game Center gameplay doesn't make things any easier. But this isn't my first rodeo, I've shipped a large number of apps already. I know what it takes to meet the timeline and I'm not afraid to cut a feature if keeping it in would put the target release date at risk.
Also I'm just a one-man engineering team (with Geoff handling all of the artwork), so everything hinges on my personal well-being. But a one-man team means all decisions go through me and there's no communication overhead to worry about. It's a good thing, not a risk.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (34 days)